Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with the client program I can do everything I want too. But if there is no tiny screens or client program I do not have that option at all. The profilux 3 and 4 have 4 different interface to use if you want

Sincerely Lasse

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
And with the client program I can do everything I want too. But if there is no tiny screens or client program I do not have that option at all. The profilux 3 and 4 have 4 different interface to use if you want

Sincerely Lasse

Client programs are good if only local changes are desired.

I like my custom network ports and forwarding or remote access via VPN; most of my adjustment ideas come when I am away from home :)

RELIABLE remote access is a must for me.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my Apex for 4 months. It's not worth the money. Planning on switching to something else.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The P4 can be upgraded without an internet connection, just because a device has cloud services does not mean it requires the internet to be upgraded.

On reliability, stability, the network has nothing to do with that. Our access to the device to configure it, or to alert us is what the connection is used for, but the device itself should not have us have to rely on it to program the unit or access the unit if networks are down or unavailable, or even if the interface on the unit is blown out. The device should operate and hum along, and allow us ways to even make changes.

The Firmware updates on the P4 are two different types. The firmware on the wireless can be updated with no impact on the firmware version of the P4 system. You can blow up the firmware on the wireless interface upgrade and you can still get into the device or configure/troubleshoot the device by other means.

I hope they never get rid of the USB connection and the desktop software for the GHL devices. I love the backdoor this provides, and gives us another form of redundancy that other products do not offer, and for us old timers who have used to desktop clients before to access network devices it nice to have something you can always go back to regardless if the network is up or down.

You have 7 ways to access and configure the P4 device.

1- The P4 Direct Web Interface requires a network connection, but can also be it’s own hotspot
2- The P4 Display
3- GHL App on the local network
4- GHL App off net (Remote Access)
5- GHL Cloud (Remote Access)
6- USB Connection and a PC/Laptop with the GCC Software
7- Opps I forgot one, you can also us the GCC software on PC/Laptop via a IP connection

Having this many way to access and configure your device allows us maximum flexibility and options for the users, the VPN option is another great way to access the device, but it is not required for the average user that needs to access, monitor and configure the system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1-10v ports on the P4 allow you to control multitude devices that have a 1-10v connection. You can plug it directly into the 1-10v connection if a compatible GHL cable exist or your good with a soldering iron and making your own cable, or you can even use the GHL LBF-AP break out box which then provides the interface to the 1-10v connection.

I have a few things running now on the 1-10v connection. On my second tank my Tunze Pumps and RedDragon Return Pump, Breeze and Mitras Simulation bars are all on the 1-10v connections. On my Main tank my Aybzz Return pump is plugged into the 1-10v connection, and my Kessil light through an LBF-AP breakout box.

The configuration could not be easier, so lets start with where do I see the 1-10v connections?

If your using the desktop software it is from within the System menu.

1-10v.png

As you can see above I have a few things utilizing the 1-10V on this tank, a GHL Breeze to help cool the tank (Works Great), My Simulation Light Bars which I use for Moon Light on the tank and my Tunze and Return Pump. The reason why your seeing the word Expansion is for me to know where I have them plugged into which device the P4 of the Expansion Box.

Fear not you do not need to use the Desktop App at all in the configuration of the port of apply the functions and configure the functions of the port, you have all the options on the P4 Device itself in the web interface and the GCC App also :)
tunze4a.png

Once you have the Device connection to the Line Port(1-10v) (Yellow Port on the P4) you configure that line port with the options you want to use to control the device.
If the Tunze pump has a 1-10v controllable connection you need a one GHL Tunze Cable per Tunze pump and if your running multiple Tuzne Pumps you need then a Tunze 1 and a Tunze 2 Cable which allows you to control two Tunze Pumps per L port.

Tunze 1 cable:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profiluxtunze1/

Tunze 2 cable:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profiluxtunze2/

Then the cable that splits the 1-10v port into two connections:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/yl2-1/

The GHL Tunze cable plugs into the 1-10V Port of the Tunze Controller
tunze5a.jpeg

Plug the other end into the Yl2 Cable or directly into the P4.

Then it time to configure what you wish the Tunze pumps to do.

The steps below are the same no matter what your trying to control now on the 1-10V you must choose the function that will control the 1-10v device.

For my Tunze I am selecting a Stream Group and apply into to a Stream Group Number.
tunze7a.png

Once you do that you then go into the stream group and set the type of effect your looking for, below are some shots of my stream group configuration.
tunze3a.png tunze2a.png tunze1a.png

To see how stream groups work a great explanation is on the GHL website

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/profilux-4-making-waves/

You can also get creative with illumination channels shown on this thread :). If your going to use Illumination channel make sure you set the Illumination channel as dimmable.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gyre-programming-question.507010/#post-5380490

Using an illumination channels on the 1-10V port allow you to simulate a gyre type effect with one pump ramping up on one side of the tank as one is ramping down.

If you have a GHL LB-AF module you plug that into the L port which and program it the same way, choose your function then go specifically into that function and program the function for the effect your looking for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated the Comparison Chart, had a few mistakes grammar and since September you been able to access the P4 on and off-net with the GCC App :)
1212018_GHL1.png

1212018_GHL2.png

122018_GHL3.png

The GCC App, P4 Web Interface are constantly being updated and are in Sync with the same look and feel interface. Because of this, I thought be good to post some a few pictures of the interface. When I did the switch out from Apex to GHL the P4 Web interface and GCC app were just coming out. On my new tank build 95% of the configuration and setup was done through the App.

You Have an Overall Front Dashboard that can be customized this is mine running from my phone off net. (I am using Aquaforest product so my KH is kept between 7.3 and 7.5, with automatic adjustments by the KH Director, this was this early morning AWC which a maxi doser is changing approx 1.8 gallons of water per day at night.

Dashboard1.PNG dashboard2.PNG

You Can Add/delete and customize the tile locations on the dashboard (Tiles can also be clicked on to access specific information also). Some tiles allow you to select for example which ports you want to see in the tile. Maybe you only one your most important outlets on the dashboard screen you can do that.
Can Add Tiles.PNG Can Add Tiles Switch Channels.PNG

A Side menu allows you also to access everything also if you do not want to clutter up your front dashboard with a bunch of tiles and buttons (you can it your choice).
Dashboard Side Panel.PNG

You can see Alerts within the App
Alerts.PNG

Some Other Shots (1-10 Volt Ports in Action, Dosing Pumps in action, Illumination channel and charts in action from the IOS App)

1-10V (2).PNG Dosing Pumps.PNG
Illumination channels.PNG
Illumination Channel in Action.PNG Charts.PNG

And You can even get tank health checks :) Not an alert, just hey here is what my tank parameters are at an email every 2 hours (Can set it for what ever interval I would like)
Even Tank health Check ins.PNG

Last edited:

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated the Comparison Chart, had a few mistakes grammar and since September you been able to access the P4 on and off-net with the GCC App :)
1212018_GHL1.png

1212018_GHL2.png

122018_GHL3.png

The GCC App, P4 Web Interface are constantly being updated and are in Sync with the same look and feel interface. Because of this, I thought be good to post some a few pictures of the interface. When I did the switch out from Apex to GHL the P4 Web interface and GCC app were just coming out. On my new tank build 95% of the configuration and setup was done through the App.

You Have an Overall Front Dashboard that can be customized this is mine running from my phone off net. (I am using Aquaforest product so my KH is kept between 7.3 and 7.5, with automatic adjustments by the KH Director, this was this early morning AWC which a maxi doser is changing approx 1.8 gallons of water per day at night.

Dashboard1.PNG dashboard2.PNG

You Can Add/delete and customize the tile locations on the dashboard (Tiles can also be clicked on to access specific information also). Some tiles allow you to select for example which ports you want to see in the tile. Maybe you only one your most important outlets on the dashboard screen you can do that.
Can Add Tiles.PNG Can Add Tiles Switch Channels.PNG

A Side menu allows you also to access everything also if you do not want to clutter up your front dashboard with a bunch of tiles and buttons (you can it your choice).
Dashboard Side Panel.PNG

You can see Alerts within the App
Alerts.PNG

Some Other Shots (1-10 Volt Ports in Action, Dosing Pumps in action, Illumination channel and charts in action from the IOS App)

1-10V (2).PNG Dosing Pumps.PNG
Illumination channels.PNG
Illumination Channel in Action.PNG Charts.PNG

And You can even get tank health checks :) Not an alert, just hey here is what my tank parameters are at an email every 2 hours (Can set it for what ever interval I would like)
Even Tank health Check ins.PNG
That looks great. Can't wait to start playing with it myself.

What info do you find yourself looking for most?
What feed/maintenance settings have you found to be most useful?

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great. Can't wait to start playing with it myself.

What info do you find yourself looking for most?
What feed/maintenance settings have you found to be most useful?

Cheers, Tony

My dashboard dials are set up for the things I want to look at first and see as very important. KH being top on my list, then PH.

I go in and occasionally will look at my illumination channels but that is more for just reference.

What I use and depend on is the two hour tank messages, It allows me to trend my tank quickly but also allows me to see potential problems before they happen.

Feed Mode I use two:

I use a 15 minute feed mode for my fish(power heads slow down) and then a delay of 15 now for the skimmer after the feed timer is done.

When I am feeding my coral I use a separate feed timer where my power heads stay on and my return pump is reduced by almost 50 percent.

Maintenance Mode I also use two modes also:

One switches off my return pump and skimmer, and reactors and turns on the sump lights inside the cabinet.

Second Mode I have jus turns off my reactors so I can replace media.

I like also how I can use any container size I wish when dosing and it will alert me when it gets low also.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to add some more things to your chart such as Radion controllability, AI Hydra or Prime controllability via WiFi, voice control via Alexa (google home coming soon), calendars, manual logging of parameters, power monitoring with automatically set alert levels, power monitoring cost comparisons, and a few other things I cannot think of right now off the top of my head :)

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Radion I believe requires the WXM module to operate and not part of the base unit, was trying to stay within Base unit comparison, and port availability. :)

As for the AI Control your 100% correct it would be part of the base unit software, I will add that in the software comparison list of the two units.

Your correct the Apex does have the ability to work with Alexa, and both units do log, but the Apex can log any function and action within the unit, which is not the same for GHL.

Both GHL, and Apex can monitor Power, but the difference is Apex can graph the power consumption throughout the day and trigger and set alerts off the actions of the power, and provide power cost comparisons.

Thanks for the pointing these out also :)

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The Radion I believe requires the WXM module to operate and not part of the base unit, was trying to stay within Base unit comparison, and port availability. :)

:)

Apex uses different approach and is marketed differently with additional features available as modules. The "base" is cheaper allowing people to obtain it and then grow the system as funds allow. Some may see it as advantage.

If you are strictly comparing the 'base' units in the true meaning of the word perhaps a huge price advantage should also be listed. Apex base is ONLY $399. GHL is not even sold as "BASE"

In addition,

You've mentioned that the GHL has USB ports, while the Apex does not. It should also be mentioned that the GHL is missing an Ethernet port, while the APEX has it - extremely important to some folks.

Apex also has, albeit in the power strip, 2 x 24V ports that have been used by community to run solenoids, relays, fans, warning lights, sirens etc, etc,

There is also the 1Link that can be fashioned to support multitude of things as needed, again off base but not sure what base even means at this point.

Is one better then other, possibly, which one, its for the user viewing your comparison to decide.

Perhaps a comparison of EB832 to PowerBar should also be added.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BZOFIQ - The chart already reflects that the Apex has a Ethernet Port and the GHL does not.

GHL does sell the base unit by itself, and is listed on there shop website, you do not need to purchase a set to have one.

I can look at doing a comparison of the EB832 to the PowerBar, along with a DOS/DDR to the GHL Maxi and 2.1 Doser also, and the GHL Expansion Box to Apex Modules match since that is what I was running on the swap out. But I believe some of this has been covered in the thread but can make a table also :)

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BZOFIQ - The chart already reflects that the Apex has a Ethernet Port and the GHL does not.

GHL does sell the base unit by itself, and is listed on there shop website, you do not need to purchase a set to have one.

I can look at doing a comparison of the EB832 to the PowerBar, along with a DOS/DDR to the GHL Maxi and 2.1 Doser also, and the GHL Expansion Box to Apex Modules match since that is what I was running on the swap out. But I believe some of this has been covered in the thread but can make a table also :)
We still can’t get the EB832 in the Uk, and it doesn’t look like we ever will... still stuck what the heck the old version and just 6 plugs...

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Indeed it does, see it now.

So, I went browsing and found PLM-LAN, I understand that this is not part of base but an expansion card - it is compatible with latest GHL controller??? Can the controller be fully operated via LAN port both locally and remotely via port forwarding?

The GHL rep and the last RAP NY stated that LAN port is not available even via extension card; clearly there is a card there; perhaps for older controllers?

Please clarify if you are in the know.

Comparison tables would be very useful, instead of people going back and forth, a table would show everything in one place.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We still can’t get the EB832 in the Uk, and it doesn’t look like we ever will... still stuck what the heck the old version and just 6 plugs...

That's terrible! Yeah, the power monitoring is a big deal.

I've gone through 4 heaters in past 5 years; monitoring would've allowed me to replace the faulty one much sooner before the tank went through up and downs. I run 2-3 heaters in tandem

I bought the new APEX during Black Friday because of that feature alone, now seeing other benefits of the 832 as I started side by side programming.

That said, I absolutely hate the silver/orange plastic feel of the whole thing.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through some of the post I find it insane people say I’m switching controller because one is more reliable than the other, those that feel like that are missing the bigger point TECHNOLOGY BREAKS! As smart as these controlling boxes are at the end of they day it’s just ones and zeros, working in the IT field we have $30k +Cisco routers and switches that break, and most importantly if not configured right eventually will give you more headaches than a broken one because they are at the end of the day they are nothing more than dumb machines that only operate by our commands. How I see it these things will work as efficient as the person who is configuring/programming them. But that said I’m an apex user I’m glad and wish this hobby had more competition when it comes to equipment $700 for a remote is insane! But I will pay it because I’m an idiot that loves comfortable things and gadgets to play with when I need to make believe im doing something on my phone lol

Go GHL!!! that Director is making me reconsider Trident is taking too long lol

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Reading through some of the post I find it insane people say I’m switching controller because one is more reliable than the other, those that feel like that are missing the bigger point TECHNOLOGY BREAKS! As smart as these controlling boxes are at the end of they day it’s just ones and zeros, working in the IT field we have $30k +Cisco routers and switches that break, and most importantly if not configured right eventually will give you more headaches than a broken one because they are at the end of the day they are nothing more than dumb machines that only operate by our commands. How I see it these things will work as efficient as the person who is configuring/programming them. But that said I’m an apex user I’m glad and wish this hobby had more competition when it comes to equipment $700 for a remote is insane! But I will pay it because I’m an idiot that loves comfortable things and gadgets to play with when I need to make believe im doing something on my phone lol

Go GHL!!! that Director is making me reconsider Trident is taking too long lol

Lots of valid points here.

More competition = better controllers for everyone!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back