Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try... not so easy for me because GCC is operating in a shi@@& little laptop I bought just to be able to run GHL. I do not run any other things there so need to take a picture with my iPhone and than upload to Tapatalk...

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here it goes...

GHL print screen.png

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV I would post on the GHL forums here. I do not see anything out the ordinary, except maybe they are not use to seeing email address with multiple periods in it?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just wanted to state this for the record and consideration by GHL employees....apparently I am not the only one surprised and disappointed by the following fact:

GHL Controller does NOT have a physical Ethernet port! It is a WiFi ONLY device!

Perhaps a consideration should be made for the IT people out there that understand the risks of WIFI and run sensitive equipment on wired connections only.
Maybe an expansion card that would add this important overlooked feature is possible?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Controller does NOT have a physical Ethernet port! It is a WiFi ONLY device!

Perhaps a consideration should be made for the IT people out there that understand the risks of WIFI and run sensitive equipment on wired connections only.
Maybe an expansion card that would add this important overlooked feature is possible?
Security is certainly one factor, but with all the water, wires, walls, and other device interference under and around an aquarium, I know we’ve seen enough WiFi issues with the original Apex (and other aquarium devices) that we knew we had to keep one on our latest model. Not to mention some installs only have enterprise WiFi (individual logins) and that is not supported on any device I know of.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Security is certainly one factor, but with all the water, wires, walls, and other device interference under and around an aquarium, I know we’ve seen enough WiFi issues with the original Apex (and other aquarium devices) that we knew we had to keep one on our latest model. Not to mention some installs only have enterprise WiFi (individual logins) and that is not supported on any device I know of.

Glad you guys understand that wired Ethernet is a must; there is no reason to drop it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one is worried about a networked aquarium controller they would need to go thru your router to get to the networked device. If the wifi is used to connect to an existing Wifi Router.
If you are afraid of the router you own get one that you feel is secure.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If one is worried about a networked aquarium controller they would need to go thru your router to get to the networked device. If the wifi is used to connect to an existing Wifi Router.
If you are afraid of the router you own get one that you feel is secure.

Let's not turn it around and worry about my network infrastructure; I feel very confident about my current setup.

I feel my/any Wi-Fi is secure enough to serve its purpose; connecting kid's tablets to the internet, that's all.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence; You're kidding right?

It's included in a $20 device like Raspberry and you bring it up on $500 device? I'm having a wrong discussion here.

You cannot compare something sold in the many of millions to that which is sold in the thousands. I am simply saying why you don’t find an Ethernet port on many IoT devices.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Dear Terance,

Your $800 controller is not a simple IoT device; it's a full fledged live support system. Need I say more?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An aquarium controller is a simple device with digital control of power outlets and has probe connections. I have been working with this tech for 30 years now as a PLC tech. I have seen WiFi take over a lot of the cat 6 connections on our newer systems. An our network is locked down big time. [emoji3] The average hobbyist is just not a high tech person and barely can program an aquarium controller. That why you see all the Bluetooth app controlled pumps, lights and other aquarium related equipment. Manufactures are trying to lower the entry barrier for customers.
Simple and smaller an cheaper is where the customer is pushing the companies in this space.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back