APEX vs. GHL: Let's Discuss the Differences, Pros & Cons

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a Controller.

I've kept salt water aquariums for many years, but I've never used a Controller. I've done my research, and read all of the fluffy marketing spills. But before I click the "BUY" button, I'd like to hear from those of you who are actually using (or have used) one (or both) of these systems.

From your personal experience with these systems, please share:

#1) What are the major differences between the APEX and the GHL Controllers ???

#2) Which Controller is easier to use and program ???

#3) I see alot of people using tablets to view and monitor the data from these Controllers. Does either unit come with a tablet, or is that something you have to purchase separately ? Can any tablet be used (i.e. Android or Apple) ?

#4) Which Controller is more feature rich, provides the most useful data, and monitors more parameters ???

#5) What are the Advantages, Disadvantages Pros & Cons of each Controller ???

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on any of it except to say that the controllers do not come with a tablet you need to buy them separately.
I have had a Apex only and I love mine
just upgraded to the 2016 version and have had it for five years and only had two issues and both were very simple issues and both were easily fixed by support personnel

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on any of it except to say that the controllers do not come with a tablet you need to buy them separately.
I have had a Apex only and I love mine
just upgraded to the 2016 version and have had it for five years and only had two issues and both were very simple issues and both were easily fixed by support personnel

Thanks Bob!

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the GHL, I have 2 apex 2016's. You can easily use a tablet. I was scared off GHL a little over a year ago by the reported lack of support stateside when I bought the first. Even though there seemed to be issues with the new apex it appeared support was adequate and avaliable. I have been super happy, aalthough it was my belief that GHL's doser was nicer than the DOS, neither of my DOS units have been anything but excellent!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to recommend this thread as well!

I have an Apex 2016, Apex Classic, and Apex Jr currently. Though I believe both Apex and GHL are excellent controllers, the lack of streamlined, user focused (pretty) interface with GHL has kept me on the Apex side. With that being said, I think GHL is an excellent controller and wouldn't hesitate to put one on my tank. If GHL updated the user interface, I would likely jump to the GHL side as the hardware is much more refined in my opinion. But to answer your questions:

The biggest difference in the graphic user interface and physical design of the system/components. Both systems have similar monitoring/control capabilities.

I think the Apex has this cornered with the implementation of Wizards to help setup nearly every components of a standard aquarium. GHL does this as well, but not in a visually intuitive way as Apex.

#3) I see alot of people using tablets to view and monitor the data from these Controllers. Does either unit come with a tablet, or is that something you have to purchase separately ? Can any tablet be used (i.e. Android or Apple) ?
GHL and Apex both offer a sort of display for their system. Both can be used with Apple/Android phones/tablets. I use my iPhone 98% of the time anything needs changed.

#4) Which Controller is more feature rich, provides the most useful data, and monitors more parameters ???
This is a pretty close tie. Both GHL and Apex offer probes for pH, temp, ORP, and conductivity. Apex offers a oxygen probe, but I have yet to see anyone willing to spend the $600 on it. If features are important, I think Apex has spend much more in developing the user interface and offers more "features" than GHL, though not all are necessary.

In my opinion, both are great controllers. You can't go wrong with either one. GHL has a more robust hardware setup resulting in fewer issues, Apex has more features via Apex Fusion.

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tips above.

It is also an impassioned subject so the undertone can be similar to asking "Ford or Chevy?", "Mercedes vs BMW", or more appropriate "NewEngland Partriots vs MyFootballTeam?"

Both have upsides + downsides, it's like trying to pick a car without doing a testdrive. I recommend watching YouTube videos on both.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL and Apex both offer a sort of display for their system. Both can be used with Apple/Android phones/tablets. I use my iPhone 98% of the time anything needs changed.

While both offer interfaces that work on android and Apple tablets, GHL does offer a full touch screen controller add on. It is rather expensive but it's an option that apex no longer offers with there system. Not that it's needed by any stretch of the imagination but it's another option. And also I'm curious as to which features apex offers that GHL doesn't?

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While both offer interfaces that work on android and Apple tablets, GHL does offer a full touch screen controller add on. It is rather expensive but it's an option that apex no longer offers with there system. Not that it's needed by any stretch of the imagination but it's another option. And also I'm curious as to which features apex offers that GHL doesn't?
I really wanted to like the GHL if nothing else than it is not an Apex. But in the end the Apex won out largely because of its user interface and community support.

Just before I paid for the Apex, I read about the ekoral controller, after a bit of research I disqualified them for simplicity being to new to the American market. My communications with them in Taiwan proved to me that while the have a nice looking product they are not yet ready for the north America market.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hesitance with the APEX System is that I've heard (and read) where "many" people have reported that the APEX System has consistently suffered technical issues with staying "connected". In fact, this is a common complaint I've observed on various forums and aquarium groups about APEX. And if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want something that is #1) Reliable... #2) Stable... AND #3) easy to use and program. If it's going to be constantly going down and off-line, I might as well keep doing things manually like I've been doing it all these years. Can anyone confirm or deny these connectivity issues that I keep hearing about ???

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hesitance with the APEX System is that I've heard (and read) where "many" people have reported that the APEX System has consistently suffered technical issues with staying "connected". In fact, this is a common complaint I've observed on various forums and aquarium groups about APEX. And if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want something that is #1) Reliable... #2) Stable... AND #3) easy to use and program. If it's going to be constantly going down and off-line, I might as well keep doing things manually like I've been doing it all these years. Can anyone confirm or deny these connectivity issues that I keep hearing about ???
Wired connection seems to remove the problem

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to recommend this thread as well!

I have an Apex 2016, Apex Classic, and Apex Jr currently. Though I believe both Apex and GHL are excellent controllers, the lack of streamlined, user focused (pretty) interface with GHL has kept me on the Apex side. With that being said, I think GHL is an excellent controller and wouldn't hesitate to put one on my tank. If GHL updated the user interface, I would likely jump to the GHL side as the hardware is much more refined in my opinion. But to answer your questions:

The biggest difference in the graphic user interface and physical design of the system/components. Both systems have similar monitoring/control capabilities.

I think the Apex has this cornered with the implementation of Wizards to help setup nearly every components of a standard aquarium. GHL does this as well, but not in a visually intuitive way as Apex.

This is a pretty close tie. Both GHL and Apex offer probes for pH, temp, ORP, and conductivity. Apex offers a oxygen probe, but I have yet to see anyone willing to spend the $600 on it. If features are important, I think Apex has spend much more in developing the user interface and offers more "features" than GHL, though not all are necessary.

In my opinion, both are great controllers. You can't go wrong with either one. GHL has a more robust hardware setup resulting in fewer issues, Apex has more features via Apex Fusion.

Nice summation! I agree with basically all of this. In the end for me it came down to stability and form factor. I ended up with the Profilux, kh director and a couple dosers. Very satisfied with the system, stability and customer support has been top notch! I was also a little turned off personally by how Neptune markets their products. I'm sure they are a good company, just not my style I guess.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First want to thank @cmcoker for tagging my thread which I hope provides some insight on how both the devices do certain tasks. I just posted this on my thread so I am just posting it here also, below were some of my observations when it comes just to the base unit itself

Base_1.png
base2.png
base_3.png

Apex has more features embedded into the HTML interface, accessible form any device that can open a web-page and does not require the use of a desktop app to configure. But will require you to use advance programming language when a function you want are not presented on the drop down menus.

GHL has more features not yet embedded into the HTML interface, and because of this require the use of a desktop app. When those features are converted to HTML the user will be able to program advance logic through those drop down menus as they can today through the GCC desktop app, never having to use a programming language and I believe we have access to more options because of what is already available within the desktop app. With some options within the P4 already their that require module to be added for the Apex to do the same task. (Ex. Flow monitoring, requires a FMM module to be installed for a Apex Unit but the P4 does this out of the box). Apex has some modules that GHL does not have for example WAV, COR, Radion control lighting. GHL has own LED lighting (LightBar, Simulation Bar and the LX series), Air/Humidity Sensors and Cooling fans.

Both devices have advantages and disadvantages and will control and monitor your tank, the good thing is we have great forum here and people that are knowledgeable about both devices, that can and will assist on issues or questions on either device.

My choice was based on stability, an expensive lesson for me to learn on the importance of stability, I have no regrets doing the switch from Apex to GHL. Their are posts of GHL to Apex, and Apex to GHL, my hope was to allow people to see the difference of how both units operate so they can decide which way to go.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back