Aquarium Controller Cabinet, Product?

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

Some of you may know that every once and a while ill build a cabinet or controller stand for someone local or just for fun.

Like this:
40232424630_427d36ebf1_b.jpg

The main issue with building things like this is the overall cost.

Well... I think i have figured out a way to make this obtainable for the cost of a average acrylic sump that is sold by the big retailers.

The idea would be flat packed to your door with a simple assembly.
thumbnail (1).jpg

Once built would look like this:
thumbnail (5).jpg

The unit is sized to fit the most popular systems from Red sea to Waterbox and if it is a little tight I have a optional base that you can use to place beside your system.
thumbnail (3).jpg

The face plates are interchangeable with the most popular product die cut and custom fit. Almost anything is possible so the customization is almost unlimited. I also have most of the popular Ipads and so on already mounted. There will be vinyl wraps to customize color and texture as well.
thumbnail.jpg

Once all installed the whole face is removable from the cabinet for easy access.
thumbnail (4).jpg

At this point these are just the first 2 prototypes but I have finished units already done and boxes. I am sending a bunch out for final real world testing. The plan is also to give some away here on R2R if i can sort it out.

As for who or when it will hit market as of now the who is still up in the air and the when is soon. I am talking to "people" to get this out as fast as possible.

I wanted to get some feed back on this from the R2R community as I think this would be a cool product that no only helps people keep there systems clean but also will let people to get the full custom look without the cost.

whats your thoughts?

thumbnail (2).jpg

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing some of your crazier builds, i love the idea of these, especially compared to the only other thing like it that i can find which is the Marine depot controller board. i think these more robust and i love the customization option.
do you have a ballpark range of what you would expect the MSRP to be? i know you said an average acrylic sump but i see some sumps for $400 and others for $800.

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in!

Although I'd prefer to have another doser section instead of the R2R insignia. Also, what would be the rough estimate on dimensions?

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing some of your crazier builds, i love the idea of these, especially compared to the only other thing like it that i can find which is the Marine depot controller board. i think these more robust and i love the customization option.
do you have a ballpark range of what you would expect the MSRP to be? i know you said an average acrylic sump but i see some sumps for $400 and others for $800.

The lower end of the price range :). Keeping the cost in line with the lower end of your price range should not be a issue. Again though I am in "talks" about all of this now.

The whole purpose of this would be to offer the best possible product with the lowest possible price so i am shooting low :)

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in!

Although I'd prefer to have another doser section instead of the R2R insignia. Also, what would be the rough estimate on dimensions?

The idea is that it will come with a standard layout then you can buy and customize whatever fits your needs. i.e. if you want 4 dosers and something else this is totally possible. The custom cut face plates would be sold separately and you would buy them as needed or over time as products evolve or come out.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, more features than the MD board I recently purchased :p What general price range do you estimate?

Edit - I see where you already addressed pricing, thanks! Great idea making it modular!

Last edited:

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that it will come with a standard layout then you can buy and customize whatever fits your needs. i.e. if you want 4 dosers and something else this is totally possible. The custom cut face plates would be sold separately and you would buy them as needed or over time as products evolve or come out.
That's a great concept! Making it modular opens up the market tremendously.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With or without the base?

Also, in regards to the iPad mounting would that be on the top of the cabinet?

Yes the top of the Cabinet has a "plug" that is removable that can be replaced by inserts that fit quite a few devices (I am still gathering all of the sizing info).

that is the size without the base the base would add 6.5" per unit to the height so in theory you could stack multiple bases up..

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, more features than the MD board I recently purchased :p What general price range do you estimate?

This would be a bit more then the MD boards for sure but overall I want to keep it at the cost of a average acrylic sump. The MD boards also mount to walls and stands this whole thing is stand alone. I see it more as a peace of furniture :p.

With the vinyl wraps it will be able to be fully customized to fit any decor.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on having a bottom section that slides out? Like for dosing containers so you can get easier access to them by pulling them out on a platform or drawer.
Some kind of lighting inside that comes on when the panel is opened?

Just throwing out ideas for additional features :)

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be a bit more then the MD boards for sure but overall I want to keep it at the cost of a average acrylic sump. The MD boards also mount to walls and stands this whole thing is stand alone. I see it more as a peace of furniture :p.

With the vinyl wraps it will be able to be fully customized to fit any decor.
Yea, I agree. I looked at the MD boards are a bit limited. Plus, I like the fact that the cabinet encloses everything. It's a much cleaner look plus protects equipment.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on having a bottom section that slides out? Like for dosing containers so you can get easier access to them by pulling them out on a platform or drawer.
Some kind of lighting inside that comes on when the panel is opened?

Just throwing out ideas for additional features :)

This is a good idea.. The "bottom section" had a ATO reservoir designed to fit as well.

The drawer idea is great and in theory can be added quite easily. There could be a deep drawer and a shallow one to best suit most needs.

These kind of ideas is why i posted this. I want to get the "shell" or main stand on the market with a hand full of "accessories" at that point it would be super easy to add almost anything to the ecosystem. Its like Lego system but for your aquarium needs :).

Also if you guys like this :) you will love the sump i am working on :p.

Back