Aquarium Lighting

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After one year, I have been relatively happy with 3 Hydra 26HDs over a Reefer 450. That said, I wish they were controllable through my Apex, as Radions or most Kessils are.

And, you may find that you want to add T5s eventually, for increased overall intensity, improved spectral coverage, and decreased shadowing. I did, and my corals support that decision. :D

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also the option of two Gen 3 XR30 Pros for about the same price as the two hydras, two kessils, or two XR15s....lol ;Bored

Reefsmoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned almost every type/kind of light over the years...plague of getting old, BUT one thing i always consider now is bulb replacement " How much is it going to cost me replace all these bulbs in 9 months?". Food for thought, just replaced 6 HO T5's Cost me about 120$ buying cheaper bulbs, was looking at metal halide prices to replace another bulb in that system was around 60-80$ for 12k-20k. Hope this helps G'luck!

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit the bullet and bought some upgraded LEDS. I might add a T5 to supplement down the road. Any suggestions for what % to start the lights at? My current lights reach 100% during the day but that will be nothing in comparison to the par of the new lights. I can get an acclimation mode if you have any suggestions for a starting %, end % and timeframe.

Thanks again guys :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back