Aquarium Lighting

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRStv screenshot with eight AI Primes running the AB+ equivalent profile. Four will be roughly half that and have narrower coverage. I ran two A360WEs over a 75g mixed reef and had good results with it. Like you, I have the center brace so three wasnt going to work (not to mention my lights go through the hood so it would have looked like Swiss cheese had I tried to add a third at a later date). The best option for me was to add a pair of T5s to supplement and I dont regret it. While I have used the Hydras, I'm not sure how much better they would be. I think they're best when installed perpendicular to the tank so you'd be looking at three again but two might work (you can always add more...). I also had a pair of XR15s but recently sold them and stuck with Kessil (spread and blending of the Kessils is much more even) but I doubt there would have been any noticeable difference with the corals with either setup. Bottom line, a T5/LED hybrid will likely be the cheapest and best option.

25634779047_96bdaf4b1a_o.jpg

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl What do you think about the Kessils? I had been reading they have a lot of shadowing/don't produce as much PAR. I'm not looking to be a coral superstar here :D, just looking to get some good color and keep my coral/ clam happy. I do like the rave reviews Kessil gets for their shimmer and their sleek appearance.

I honestly don't want to add T5 to my setup. I don't like the headache of changing bulbs, buying bulbs, and lack of energy efficiency. I know by saying this I'll be making some sacrifices.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl What do you think about the Kessils? I had been reading they have a lot of shadowing/don't produce as much PAR. I'm not looking to be a coral superstar here :D, just looking to get some good color and keep my coral/ clam happy. I do like the rave reviews Kessil gets for their shimmer and their sleek appearance.

I honestly don't want to add T5 to my setup. I don't like the headache of changing bulbs, buying bulbs, and lack of energy efficiency. I know by saying this I'll be making some sacrifices.

The XR15 running the AB+ with a diffuser produces the same PAR as an A360. To match the even spread of the A360, the XR15 requires the diffuser, otherwise you get the discoball effect going on. This bugs some people and goes largely un-noticed by others so that is a matter of personal preference. In regard to the AB+, it was way to "blue" for me (would be similar to running the Kessil at about 25-30% color where I run them at 60% color so that would increase the PAR of the XR15 if you "whitened" it up). Shadows from both are going to be very similar because they're emitting from a similar footprint.

This post has the PAR measurements I took with the A360s and then with the A360/T5 hybrid. While it was a mixed reef, it did great with just the two Kessils. For what it's worth, I think the moaning and groaning in regard to shadows is blown way out of proportion.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl I assume since you switched back to Kessils, you like them the best? :) Seems like everyone likes different things for different reasons lol. If I went with two Kessils for the 75 would you recommend the 360 wide? If you think that the A360 would be satisfactory, I may go that way for the Kessil shimmer, I just didn't want to fork over the $$$$ for 3-4 Kessils. My reef is a mix with nothing super high end honestly. I would think any upgrade is better than my current Aquatic Life Reef Edge / Current USA Orbit IC Combo :rolleyes:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl I assume since you switched back to Kessils, you like them the best? :) Seems like everyone likes different things for different reasons lol. If I went with two Kessils for the 75 would you recommend the 360 wide? If you think that the A360 would be satisfactory, I may go that way for the Kessil shimmer, I just didn't want to fork over the $$$$ for 3-4 Kessils. My reef is a mix with nothing super high end honestly. I would think any upgrade is better than my current Aquatic Life Reef Edge / Current USA Orbit IC Combo :rolleyes:

I like the color blending and even spread of the Kessil, that is the only reason for sticking with Kessil. The Radions are proven to work as well, I just didnt like the "look" they created in the tank (they lasted all of about five minutes over the tank) :) . I had actually purchased them for the 150g I'm working on but had to try them out. I ended up trading them for more Kessils this past weekend (will be using four-five of them with a pair of 80w T5s over the 150g; why change a good thing?).

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a good price on the
Aquatic Life T5HO Hybrid 4-Lamp Mounting System Fixture
Going to give it a shot over my 90 Gallon.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=40063
Not sure how long the prices will last but as of 02-26-18 it is below.

24" Mounting System , CD-107569,
oversized-line-list.gif
$229.99
Item above is unavailable for order at this time. Expected in on 03/09/2018.
36" Mounting System , CD-107570,
oversized-line-list.gif
$269.99 , $215.99
48" Mounting System , CD-107571,
oversized-line-list.gif
$299.99 , $239.99

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you think the Kessils are comparable and I can get by with two of the 360s, sounds like a deal to me then. Nobody argues the Kessil shimmer :). Do you use any moonlights since the Kessil lacks that feature?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you think the Kessils are comparable and I can get by with two of the 360s, sounds like a deal to me then. Nobody argues the Kessil shimmer :). Do you use any moonlights since the Kessil lacks that feature?
Nope, lights out at 10pm. I actually some low watt LEDs made for this but never installed them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.
SBreeflight.

Really, they all grow coral really well.

Multiple small pucks are better than fewer more powerful ones , IMO , that’s just shading. Some like shading and the dramatic look.

I finally saw a 75 or 100g with 6 160s. Pretty neat.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm going to be a little facetious now, but I like the look of multiple smaller fixtures instead of one large one, unless the large one will be hidden by my canopy which is only 6" tall

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm going to be a little facetious now, but I like the look of multiple smaller fixtures instead of one large one, unless the large one will be hidden by my canopy which is only 6" tall

I started with two SBReef Basic boxes on this tank. Looked like a tank lit with T5s (even and boring) with some discoball mixed in for good measure. I had a ton of light spilling into the room with them; the Kessils allowed me to use the canopy to alleviate that. Again, a personal preference thing, not a grow corals thing (I'm sure they would have worked too).

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl Two A360W satisfactory? That'll be where my reefing stimulus package goes (tax return)....at least part of it lol

Also, do you use the spectral controller they sell for the Kessils?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two SBReef Basic boxes on this tank. Looked like a tank lit with T5s (even and boring) with some discoball mixed in for good measure. I had a ton of light spilling into the room with them; the Kessils allowed me to use the canopy to alleviate that. Again, a personal preference thing, not a grow corals thing (I'm sure they would have worked too).
Hahaha.
I don’t like broccoli.

I also have canopy’s. That would drive me nuts getting blinded by that stuff. No clue how folks do it, no matter what Light it is.

I cut holes in the top. I had Ai sols , but switched to 3 SBs .
Kept some shimmer , reduced the disco.

To each their own really though. Price , color and comfort are really becoming more of the issue over what grows corals. Pretty cool I think.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broccoli? I don't get it o_O

I made my stand and a small canopy that goes over it, that's why its only 6". The tank sits against a staircase / faces the living room of the house, so any light spillage from the top is a major annoyance when you're sitting on the couch doing anything. I do agree with @saltyfilmfolks that it seems as if so much if it is personal preference and it'll all grow corals. I just want to make sure there is enough light for my clam lol.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broccoli? I don't get it o_O

I made my stand and a small canopy that goes over it, that's why its only 6". The tank sits against a staircase / faces the living room of the house, so any light spillage from the top is a major annoyance when you're sitting on the couch doing anything. I do agree with @saltyfilmfolks that it seems as if so much if it is personal preference and it'll all grow corals. I just want to make sure there is enough light for my clam lol.
Lol. Broccoli. Preference, some like it , some hate kessils.

You should be fine with the 360 to get 150 on the sand for the clam I belive.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl Two A360W satisfactory? That'll be where my reefing stimulus package goes (tax return)....at least part of it lol

Also, do you use the spectral controller they sell for the Kessils?

Yea, I was very happy with the setup but this is truly a coin toss situation like salty mentions; they're all growing corals, pick what you like.

Edit: you hadnt mentioned a clam earlier. Is this on the sand bed? I was getting just under 200 PAR dead center on the sand bed of my tank; based on previous clams I've had, that is likely enough to sustain life but that is running the lights at 100% intensity too. Four or five well placed A160s might actually be better in that circumstance.

To answer an earlier question, yes, I use WE series lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a maxima clam, I have it up on the rocks, so I believe it is about 10" from the surface of the water. You're making it more confusing by adding A160s to the mix lol. I'm still kinda torn between the Kessil vs Hydras since the hydras have more programmability and lunar features.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a maxima clam, I have it up on the rocks, so I believe it is about 10" from the surface of the water. You're making it more confusing by adding A160s to the mix lol. I'm still kinda torn between the Kessil vs Hydras since the hydras have more programmability and lunar features.
If those are features you desire, go that direction. I run the Kessils off a ReefAngel but if I didnt have a controller, something like the Radion or Hydra would be more appealing.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I’m still debating, but the advice is appreciated. How do you control your lights with the Reefkeeper? I’m controllerless and naieve to the ways of technology :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back