Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 40 gallon br tank and have a stand that says it can support it. I measured the stand at 35.5 inches and the tank is 36 exactly. Is it ok to have the aquarium overhang .25 inches on each side? Width is perfectly fine, plenty of room. I had a 56 gallon column tank on it for about a year no issues, so I know it can hold heavy weight. Thanks

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there is no pressure it will be okay. Id put a piece of styrofoam under the glass to eliminate pressure points. It will distribute the weight evenly.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a no can do as of right now, im switching my tanks now, but i will buy another stand in the next month if need be. Any other suggestions?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big question is where does the rim sit? I assume a 40 breeder has a plastic trim / rim around it. If the plastic rim is supported all the way around, you should be fine, at least until a new stand. I would not put foam under a rimmed tank, as the trim is designed to carry the load, and the foam will transfer some weight, and could cause stress cracks.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its a standard tank with trim on top and bottom, so half the trim is going to hang over each side (about .25 inch each) i read that it would work fine for a temporary solution as the seal is brand new

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back