|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Do I need a RO/DI for a large soft corals tank? I heard it might be good
- heard the flow rates through RO membranes are VERY VERY slow
-I've never seen a separate DI system with no RO
-Is it possible to use an only DI system cuz I heard they are faster with less wastewater
-Where can I buy an ONLY DI system ~$200
- how do I install it and how d you guys do it
-How does it work and how do I use it?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an RO Buddie RO/DI for about $55 and it's doing great! Running a 75 gal reef tank with it and could easily run another with that water production. I have a water supply in a closet that no one uses so it's set up with a 100gal reserve tank. It will only do about 50 gallons per day and does create a decent amount of waste to make 50 gallons but for the price it's doing its job great! Of course, if you need higher, the RO Budding does have a 100 gpd model.

You can mount under a cabinet, on a wall, or just set it on a counter top.

The RO is going to do about 90% of the filtration. The DI is really just to polish off the water and do the other 9%. I wouldn't suggest running a DI without the RO. It will probably shred the DI filter and need replacement very often. The DI does not create any wastewater and does not slow the production of the RO unit. Waste is held in the DI sleeve and then thrown away with the sleeve.

Mine needs a new DI unit about every 350-400 gallons but they're pretty inexpensive. You can check ppm every so often and that will tell you when you need a new filtration sleeve.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with RODI water of 0 TDS for any saltwater tank.
Flow rates vary from small 25g p/d units to 100g or more.
The sediment filter, then carbon filter, to RO membrane takes out 95-99% of your tap water TDS.
The DI resin polishes the water from RO. So say tap is 200ppm, RO should produce say 10 TDS, DI should make it 0 TDS. But this resin is expensive, so if you just used the DI process, your resin would be exhausted quickly.

You can use conditioned tap water for softies, but over time, the stuff in your tap water will build up over time and suddenly you will find yourself in a mess.

Yup, they waste water. You could save it for your plants maybe.

Amazon, Reef Buddie, does my 65g below easily,

Attach to your faucet in your sink, turn on water, send waste line down sink, put RODI in container.

Making the right decisions now will increase your enjoyment of the hobby.

9040FCEA-024C-44D0-941B-837F7F5611C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said ^.. If you start off using TAP, you're always going to experience headaches you could've avoided. Corals want pristine water conditions.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Do I need a RO/DI for a large soft corals tank? I heard it might be good

Definitely a worthwhile investment if you're looking at ANY type of coral for your tank.

- heard the flow rates through RO membranes are VERY VERY slow

They can be, flow is affected by many variables including incoming pressure, RO membrane choice, waste to product water ratios (Flow restrictor) and temperature.

-I've never seen a separate DI system with no RO

They do exist but you have to piece them together a little bit.

-Is it possible to use an only DI system cuz I heard they are faster with less wastewater

Absolutely, there are a few reefers out there that run DI filters with no RO (still need sediment and carbon blocks). These systems have zero wastewater, HOWEVER, you need to know that your water is good enough to run a DI only system, and when I say good, I mean your tap water has less than 10 TDS (Ideally under 5) in it. There aren't very many people out there that have those kinds of numbers. If you don't have less than that and your water is say 150 TDS (Some get as high as 800-1000), you will chew through DI resin like no tomorrow and it will cost you a FORTUNE to continue to run it that way.

-Where can I buy an ONLY DI system ~$200

Any online retailer will have the parts you need to make what you want, BRS and Spectrapure being some of the more popular options out there.

- how do I install it and how d you guys do it

Typically installed at or near a sink you buy fittings to hook directly into the plumbing. Most systems come with fittings to adapt to faucets so no plumbing required if you don't want to.

-How does it work and how do I use it?

Lengthy description on how they work probably better suited for a YouTube search or looking at Bulk Reef Supplies videos on them

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 octopus versions are just with same stuff but better with a TDS meter and it has flow rate of 200-300gpd with better stuff and more expensive.
The maki has 2 DI cartridges

Slim64684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the one you like the best. You can start with a "budget" rodi then add things down the road if you want, ie inline tds, pressure gauge, aso, etc. Overtime you can also change media out to better quality.

Also knowing what your tap water consists of helps. My tap is treated with chloramines, so I opted for dual carbon block to help strip them.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the one you like the best. You can start with a "budget" rodi then add things down the road if you want, ie inline tds, pressure gauge, aso, etc. Overtime you can also change media out to better quality.

Also knowing what your tap water consists of helps. My tap is treated with chloramines, so I opted for dual carbon block to help strip them.

hey at least the tap water nitrates are fairly low from 0-5ppm and the ammonia is 0-0.25ppm from my faucet TDS sometimes is 50-100TDS
I do have a RO/DI system in my kitchen its from 3M and it costed $1000 bucks for everything with the faucet and storage tank and gauges. I installed that 3yrs ago before I started saltwater tanks i only had FW back then. Its not convenient and I use it already a lot so I need another one

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been studying the companies and what to get - check out Liquagen, AirWaterIce and Buckeye Hydro. Spectrapure is expensive. The companies also offer dual Reef/Drinking water systems for not much more that come with a 3 gallon tank. Or you can run it to your fridge and sink. The larger systems that run approximately $150 - 250 have standard size filters and pressure gauges. You can also pick your gallons per day.

You need to talk with the company regarding where your water is coming from and whether it has chlorine and chloramines. Your local water utility should post their chemical treatment on their website.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with a brs 7 stage and could not be happier, your water you start with is only as good as your tank water.

I first had a aquatic life twist in rodi that was junk and still got tds after it along with filters not lasting long. Causing me to lose $7k worth of coral from being faulty. A RODI is a absolute must and is not a piece of equipment to go cheap on. This is not a cheap hobby. Quality will last and go a long way. They say you most people buy the same thing 3 times till they are happy. You will not want softy’s for your entire life reefing, trust me I’ve gone through many phases of corals i like.

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an RO Buddie RO/DI for about $55 and it's doing great! Running a 75 gal reef tank with it and could easily run another with that water production. I have a water supply in a closet that no one uses so it's set up with a 100gal reserve tank. It will only do about 50 gallons per day and does create a decent amount of waste to make 50 gallons but for the price it's doing its job great! Of course, if you need higher, the RO Budding does have a 100 gpd model.

You can mount under a cabinet, on a wall, or just set it on a counter top.

The RO is going to do about 90% of the filtration. The DI is really just to polish off the water and do the other 9%. I wouldn't suggest running a DI without the RO. It will probably shred the DI filter and need replacement very often. The DI does not create any wastewater and does not slow the production of the RO unit. Waste is held in the DI sleeve and then thrown away with the sleeve.

Mine needs a new DI unit about every 350-400 gallons but they're pretty inexpensive. You can check ppm every so often and that will tell you when you need a new filtration sleeve.

You happen to have a link for where you got it and the storage tank? We got two 125s I have been struggling to find a large storage tank for so our available supply sucks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back