Aquarium safe glue/ silicone?

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making a diy sump, and I bought a glass baffle kit- what are some strong glues/ silicones that are reef/aquarium safe?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Silicone from Home Depot or Lowe’s works fine. Just make sure it’s 100% silicone.

Like this one below
AAA99C29-83F4-4A26-9B9A-79341F8066AA.jpeg

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like: https://www.americansealantsinc.com/asi-aquarium-sealant/

ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant has been specifically formulated for the fabrication of fresh and salt-water aquariums. This high modulus component RTV Silicone Sealant forms strong cohesive bonds to glass without the need of primers. The bonds are unaffected by continuous immersion in water and, when fully cured, is non-toxic to fish. ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant is a non-slump sealant and can be applied to vertical surfaces without flowing or sagging.

• High Modulus
  • Excellent tensile strength
  • Excellent primerless adhesion to glass
  • Bond unaffected by continuous immersion in water
  • Excellent clarity
Because ASIAquarium Silicone Sealant is a 100% silicone sealant, it has excellent resistance to weathering including ozone, ultra-violet radiation and airborne chemicals.

ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant can be applied to surface temperatures from -18°C to +50°C (0°F to +120°F) and after curing, withstands constant operating temperatures from -57°C to +233°C (-70° F to 450°F).

If you are a manufacture and you would like to see data on the ASI Aquarium Sealant to see how compared during independent testing, please contact us. We can also provide C of C or C of A’s with bulk shipments.

MATERIAL PREPARATION​

For successful bonding, glass must be clean of all dust, dirt and oil. The presence of these contaminants may impede the development of the bond. Therefore, it is essential that the glass be cleaned with suitable and compatible cleansers such as nonoily solvents, diluted solutions of acetic acid or extremely hot water. The cleaned glass should be wiped dry immediately with a clean, lint free cloth or blown dry with hot oil free air.

DO NOT clean glass with soap and water solutions. Soap residue can act as a release agent and result in adhesion failure.

Clean glass should be handled with clean, lint free gloves or equivalent only. Oils from hands and fingers can act a release agents resulting in adhesion failure.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like: https://www.americansealantsinc.com/asi-aquarium-sealant/

ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant has been specifically formulated for the fabrication of fresh and salt-water aquariums. This high modulus component RTV Silicone Sealant forms strong cohesive bonds to glass without the need of primers. The bonds are unaffected by continuous immersion in water and, when fully cured, is non-toxic to fish. ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant is a non-slump sealant and can be applied to vertical surfaces without flowing or sagging.

• High Modulus
  • Excellent tensile strength
  • Excellent primerless adhesion to glass
  • Bond unaffected by continuous immersion in water
  • Excellent clarity
Because ASIAquarium Silicone Sealant is a 100% silicone sealant, it has excellent resistance to weathering including ozone, ultra-violet radiation and airborne chemicals.

ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant can be applied to surface temperatures from -18°C to +50°C (0°F to +120°F) and after curing, withstands constant operating temperatures from -57°C to +233°C (-70° F to 450°F).

If you are a manufacture and you would like to see data on the ASI Aquarium Sealant to see how compared during independent testing, please contact us. We can also provide C of C or C of A’s with bulk shipments.

MATERIAL PREPARATION​

For successful bonding, glass must be clean of all dust, dirt and oil. The presence of these contaminants may impede the development of the bond. Therefore, it is essential that the glass be cleaned with suitable and compatible cleansers such as nonoily solvents, diluted solutions of acetic acid or extremely hot water. The cleaned glass should be wiped dry immediately with a clean, lint free cloth or blown dry with hot oil free air.

DO NOT clean glass with soap and water solutions. Soap residue can act as a release agent and result in adhesion failure.

Clean glass should be handled with clean, lint free gloves or equivalent only. Oils from hands and fingers can act a release agents resulting in adhesion failure.
Thank you!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a sump application just buy silicone at home depot. Beware of some 100% silicones, makes sure it doesn't say anti-microbial on it.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Use painters tape to mask off the area where you are going to apply and pull it off before it dries. Pro skills baby

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone from Home Depot or Lowe’s works fine. Just make sure it’s 100% silicone.

Like this one below

This one looks like it may contain mold inhibitor. "7 yr mold free".

You need Type I silicone with no mold inhibitors. I think type II is okay if you let it cure longer, but I cant recall exactly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have repaired over 70 leaky tanks including a 360g I used to have and only use Aqueon aquarium sealant
It has never let me down

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I was in HD looking for a small tube of Type I silicone and mentioned it was for a reef, I was directed towards DAP aquarium sealant they are now selling and told by the worker that he has kept saltwater tanks for years and the type I silicone I was looking for would kill all my livestock. I debated with him for a second then decided that was a waste of time and left. Wasnt interested in paying extra for the words "Aquarium" on the package and didnt care for the bad info about reef safe silicone.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used the cheap silicone 1 from Lowes (i think GE was the brand) for my sump baffles and its hasn't caused any problems for me

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like this one below
I picked up this exact same one at Lowes but haven't used it yet. It states Silicone 1 and 100% Silicone but the 7 year mold resistant concerns me. I couldn't find any there that didn't say mold resistant. Is it possible that all RTV Silicone is mold resistant to some extent without the additives ?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this exact same one at Lowes but haven't used it yet. It states Silicone 1 and 100% Silicone but the 7 year mold resistant concerns me. I couldn't find any there that didn't say mold resistant. Is it possible that all RTV Silicone is mold resistant to some extent without the additives ?
Honestly, the safest way to do it is always just aquarium sealant. I got away with 4 oz on a DIY 20 gallon long. No more than 15$

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this exact same one at Lowes but haven't used it yet. It states Silicone 1 and 100% Silicone but the 7 year mold resistant concerns me. I couldn't find any there that didn't say mold resistant.
I found a spare tube of the one I used and no where on the tube does it say mold resistant. I wouldn't use anything that said mold resistant. I do agree with Brooke24 that if not sure its safest to use a sealant made for aquariums.

I looked for the exact tube I used on the Lowes website to post a link and I can't find it, so now I'm wondering if they either stopped selling it or changed the label.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have repaired over 70 leaky tanks including a 360g I used to have and only use Aqueon aquarium sealant
It has never let me down
This right here. Most lfs have it also. I know a few of mine have squeeze tubes and tubes for caulk guns.

Another thing is the loctite silicone. It can be had at the dollar general if you don’t want to order and is aquarium safe. Even says it on the website lol. I have done sump baffles with it and is a little easier for me, as a caulk gun is sometimes to large for the crazy sumps I do.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered GE 1200 construction adhesive online at 11.39 a tube. The mildew resistant on the Lowes stuff bothers me and the 1200 is used for aquarium builds. Plus I wanted black.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back