OP
Ffelrod

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the advice! How about round 2? Lowered it and more room around the perimeter. Took 2 of the rocks out. Liking it for now. Gonna let it sit for a couple of days. Maybe I’ll add a small shelf up on the left or maybe another rock in front on right for depth.

ECC91390-3006-438C-8032-8DD3B1B445CB.jpeg

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the advice! How about round 2? Lowered it and more room around the perimeter. Took 2 of the rocks out. Liking it for now. Gonna let it sit for a couple of days. Maybe I’ll add a small shelf up on the left or maybe another rock in front on right for depth.

what about drilling them and inserting acrylic rod to create a more unique structure? What makes it hard for your scape is that all the rocks are similar size and shape so there isn't a whole lot of variance with them no matter how you scape it. IMO, I think you have plenty of rock and could create a really cool scape by drilling and creating some coves and ledges

EDIT* You could even take the 5 most right rocks out and have one structure on the left towards the back then create a smaller structure (3 rocks) to the right and closer to the front of the tank
**red=rocks to remove
**blue=where to place 2-3 rock structure
8CC148E1-A5CF-4304-8C04-68D569C7C319.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I like the height and caves. Is it possible to rotate the top left rock (or use a different rock) so the structures isn’t flat across the top?

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good to remember the rules of thirds, there is actually an article in coral magazine that address this and give a ton of tips for aquascaping, To me.. I dont really care for it, it seems just like a stacked bunch of rocks with a ton of dead space and no depth of field. it also might be to much rock, try a little more intricate forms specially with advantages of using rods and mortar. depending on size you will break a ton of rock trying to drill it (trust me i know) I order 160lbs of rock for my 115gal and used prob 100 after the breaking during drilling and odd pieces not fitting. look at full tank shots and see what you really love and take those pictures and combine them. Aquascaping is hard and not easy! its also good to remember what you want to keep, fish corals and all. bigger fish need room to swim to stay happy, lps and soft corals dont get along well with sps so you will have to keep them apart if thats what you plan to keep. im almost 98% positive this is not the answer you want to hear/read but its an honest answer based on my experiences. remember you dont have many chances to rescape once the tank is setup.. well you do... but its a big pain and the die off from pulling the rock is a big pain. again Aquascaping is very challenging when you take into consideration everything relies on it. it can really make or brake a tank.

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!!! You have received some great advice thus far. Remember, there is one person that will be looking at it the most. That is the person that must decide if it is pleasing or not.

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Remember, there is one person that will be looking at it the most. That is the person that must decide if it is pleasing or not.

This times 100!!! You are the only one that gets to enjoy it every day so you have to like it most. Besides, it won't be too long and you'll have it covered with corals and won't see the rocks anyway...lol.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without going through the suggestions, my first suggestion would be to get a hammer and chizzle and crack those pieces into different shapes and sizes, and re attach with mortar of some kind. All of those rocks are too similar in size.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back