Aquascaping and the rule of thirds

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to redo my Aquascape as I've never used any type of epoxy or anything like that so I wanted something unique and different for my tank. I need some advice though as I'm trying to follow the rule of thirds and this is what I have so far and I'll also take a picture of some of the other rocks I have including one that is almost a perfect arch that I really want to use for the scape. Any advice or a contributions to help me would be greatly appreciated.

20200201_144537.jpg 20200201_144548.jpg 1580590087930662407650898778833.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I am looking at your layout correctly, it looks like you may be trying to apply the rule of thirds from a top-down perspective as opposed to from the viewing pane of the aquarium. If you look at the tank primarily from the top then that may be preferred. Keep at it, I have found that it eventually come together - some times it just takes long and that is okay.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your thoughtful approach. It can be hard at this stage to remember that the fine details of the scape will disappear when the corals fill in. Keep focused on the overall shape and "shift" your focus back and forth from the rock to the empty spaces you are creating as well. Unique and different usually means less rock.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your thoughtful approach. It can be hard at this stage to remember that the fine details of the scape will disappear when the corals fill in. Keep focused on the overall shape and "shift" your focus back and forth from the rock to the empty spaces you are creating as well. Unique and different usually means less rock.
Thank you. I'm having a hard time trying not to make it look like a bunch of rocks all piled together, looking unnatural. But you're right, i tend to forget the rocks will be covered with corals and algae anyway lol

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. I don't want to but i may have to. There's not really a scape in there now just a couple rocks my bf put in there when he started it up ( was at work and he couldnt wait any longer)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule of 2/3? What is that? Lol I don’t do any of that craziness. I just do a cutout of the tank size and stack the rocks how I like them. Then put them in the tank. I don’t think corals care what the rocks look like ;Hilarious
put the rocks in to your liking. No need to over think it. That’s just inner ocd LOL

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the open areas. no rock. just as important to the over all look.
I have enough open space, I'm pretty sure. Getting my main rock to be high enough for satisfaction is what im struggling with

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are going for the rock wall covered with coral look. AKA "the fruit stand" then I think the general rule for rock height is no more than half of the height of the tank.

You have to remember that a mature aquarium will look VASTLY different from your bare rock. You want to have some space ovr the top for flow, and also to keep that negative space. It is the NEGATIVE space of an aquarium that make it look interesting and breaks up what the eye is focusing on. That is really what the rule of thirds is all about, focusing on different areas so the eye moves from one space to the next. And it takes more space than you think.

here are some pics with good negative space and attempts at negative space that also ignore the rule of thirds. And people that build the classic arch... right in the middle of the tank.

images (1).jpg download (1).jpg images.jpg download.jpg evans-reef-copy-770x433.jpg

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my aquascape this past weekend and I took a photo sequence as I laid it out. It might help you as you think about how you want to layer rocks in. I focused a lot on negative space. Also, if you don't have some, I would highly recommend you pick up some E-Marco 400 cement. It's amazing stuff and essential if you are trying to build a unique structure beyond what you can just stack. The link below shortcuts straight to my aquascape post:

20200203_050851.jpg

20200203_075907.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back