Are dwarf angels worth the risk?

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a coral beauty. He likes to nip hammer and frogspawn. I think he murdered my wall hammer.

little guy is going to the LFS this weekend.

Nway93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had cherubs (Pygmy), coral beauties, and flames over the years. Only pulled the cherubs out and that was more of a knee jerk reaction. Currently have a flame in tank with just acros and a few acans. It could mow down the acans and I’d be fine. Just have to accept the fact it’s a risk and not freak out if it nips at stuff. If you’re losing tissue then start to worry. I’ve only had the flame a week but he’s paid no mind to any coral, could change any day but unless he truly kills an acro I’ll live with it.

Desperado Lucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor angel and I suspect it is hitting one zoa colony which is down to 10% of its original size and almost gone. I don’t if they nip those, but I can’t figure out what else it might be. All other corals fine and thriving. It would also nip my marbled starfish on occasion.

c-horse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame and a lemon peel angel in a 50 gal tank, for over 2 years. Never had a problem. Of course i feed 5-9 times a day everyday, so they are well fed!

JackD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of stocking my 150 gallon reef. I really want a dwarf angel. Specifically a coral beauty or lemon peel. I don’t want issues down the road of nipping at my corals though. I also have a juvenile chocolate tang so would it not be a good idea if I did decide to go with a lemon peel angel? Thanks in advance!
Personally, I think the lemon peels are absolutely stunning fish, so your taste in my opinion is excellent! As for to whether or not it is reef safe, hard to say. I owned a yellow tail pygmy angel for about three months or so. He was a model tankmate up until recently. I had no problems until about two weeks ago, when I noticed my Miami Hurricane torch was dying for what seemed to be no reason as my water was the cleanest it had been in a long time. Finally, my $100 torch frag was completely annihilated. I discovered my angel was to blame as I saw him destroying my hammer an xenia in the days to follow. I took him back to my LFS, and they bought my healthy angel back from me. Long story short, it's a gamble. As long as you keep them well fed it seems to be a 50/50 chance. But once they get that first taste of coral, they don't stop. I have a 40b reef so I can't give much advice regarding the angel-tang pairing. Good luck, and happy reefing!

cnye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pacific White Tail in my tank, not as pretty as others but no issues with fleshy LPS for almost 12 months now.

I feed well & the angel is pretty thicccc

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies I missed these posts
You are able to mix different angels? How big is your tank?
If you do your homework then yes it is entirely possible to group different species angelfish. With dwarf angels you just need to pick the correct fish, have the space in your tank so the fish do not feel crowded, lots of hiding places- I have found if the fish can hid easily they tend not to. That's why I don't particularly like the modern trend to open decoration I feel it stresses fish because they cannot get out of sight of the more dominant fish and the dominant fish constantly feels it is being challenged because the other fish won't go away, so it constantly attacks it.

My current tank is 2000L but it has 150K of rock with lots of nooks and crannies for fish to hide in.
Wow you paired all of those? Any tips on pairing angels?
I have paired a number of angel species, both dwarf and large.

You need to do your homework and consider how the fish live on the reef. Google is your friend here, there are a myriad of videos on the web, watch how the fish interact, read how other have done it (there is a lot of dross so you will have to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt).

Dwarf angels are generally more manageable, being smaller but you still need to give them space. Some live in harems, Flames, Coral beauties, flame backs, for example, they tend to be easier. Lemon peels, bicolour tend to pair and are a little more difficult.

Pick the target fish carefully, two fish may not be compatible- when I paired Queen angels for a friend I needed to try 5 angels before we managed to get a pair that tolerated each other, they have been together for 5 years now and are starting to show spawning behavior. I generally look for fish with a size difference. I have never managed to 'pair' two Juvenile fish, it has always ended badly as they grow.

You need patience, lots of it, my Majestics took over 6 months to tolerate each other before I felt I could trust them together in my display.

You need space, I use a 250l tub to start the process. The end tank also needs to be of an appropriate size- the Queens are in a 5000L system.

Probably the most important tip- have an exit strategy for if it doesn't work. These are beautiful creatures and the last thing you want to do is damage or worse, kill the animals in your care.

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto feeder is key w/ multiple feedings a day. I have a pygmy yellowtail that ate acans, once I started auto feeder, I have trachys he doesn’t even look at now

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto feeder is key w/ multiple feedings a day. I have a pygmy yellowtail that ate acans, once I started auto feeder, I have trachys he doesn’t even look at now
I think it’s multiple feedings yes, I have 3 dwarfs and they have never touched corals

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back