Are dwarf angels worth the risk?

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of stocking my 150 gallon reef. I really want a dwarf angel. Specifically a coral beauty or lemon peel. I don’t want issues down the road of nipping at my corals though. I also have a juvenile chocolate tang so would it not be a good idea if I did decide to go with a lemon peel angel? Thanks in advance!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of corals are you keeping? There’s lots of personal experiences on other threads, some claim model citizens and others claim LPS lawnmowers. It’s a risk but I’ve read more bad endings than good with LPS/fleshy corals.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame angel, was glad the day he went. He picked at all my SPS it got to the point that no SPS had polyps out. He didn't seemed to bother with LPS and softies or not that I ever caught him. I personally would never put another in a reef.

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty has been in my tank for 4 years and has never touched any of my corals (SPS and LPS). However, a friend of mine had one and nipped and ate some of their corals.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different kind a flame angel but has been a model citizen. And loves nori!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 660g has potters, and flame angels , and No issues at all
My drop off tank has a flame angels and again no issues.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a roll of the dice with any but I’m a firm believer that a fed fish tends to be a much better member of the community. Aggression, coral nipping, sickness, ect Is all limited when the fish are fat and fed
I agree 100. I make sure my fish are fed well and often and everyone gets along so well

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with this, but I have heard from multiple people I trust that if the fish are well fed, they generally leave corals alone. So, +1 to Ilikefishandlamps and Rickybobby

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a flame and a multibar angel in my 150. The flame has been an angel , but my multibar ate some acans. He was still being stubborn about eating then and that may have been why. I’ve had other fleshy coral in the tank since he’s figured out frozen food and pellets and he hasn’t touched them. I’ve never had one, but I’ve heard lemon peels are the least likely to be reef safe.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deliberately made my multicolor the focus of its build; corals are a secondary concern because, yes, it probably will nip at anything I put in the tank at some point. I find it impossible to to feel annoyed, though, as it's such a gorgeous fish with such an outsized personality. It shares its tank with an orchid dottyback pair and a whole lot of turf algae while a lawnmower blenny (and snails, and an urchin) wait out quarantine. The dottybacks just do dottyback drama with each other and are just...decorative fish. The angel is like a dog and the star of the tank.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a coral beauty for 4 years. Never touched a coral. He will eat snails though.
Had two half blacks and neither one of them touched anything either.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back