Are sohal tangs really that bad?

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been wanting to add a sohal tang to my reef for quite a while but have been put off by scare stories of it being an overly aggressive bully, contstantly harassing other fish. What are peoples opinions? Should I risk it? Is it even a risk? Any successful soho keepers?
It's a 750G pond with multiple other tang species. Purple, regal, mustard, yellow and more.

Ps I know the title is wrong I don't know how to change it lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept two many years ago, they’re definitely on my do-not-keep list. You’ve got a better chance with 750 gallons (imperial?). Problems for me began once they got to about 8 inches. Mostly ok before that.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only kept one. It was in a 7ft 200 gal. He reached about 8-9 in and was generally OK with the angels and tangs he grew up with, but he would not accept any other tangs to the tank. I specifically remember trying to add a clown tang a couple of times and it was a no go. I personally don't think they are attractive enough to justify the limitations they place on adding other fish, but in a 750 with other established tangs it could work.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept two many years ago, they’re definitely on my do-not-keep list. You’ve got a better chance with 750 gallons (imperial?). Problems for me began once they got to about 8 inches. Mostly ok before that.
That's US gallons, figured I'd use the more widely used unit on here lol.
Yeah the one I saw at my lfs was an adult maybe 9 or 10" but at £500 I want to be sure it wouldn't be a mistake!

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta get a small one if you do for better compatibility and like DCR said, new introductions of a similar body type like Angels, Butterflies and similar body type Tangs, especially the Clown Tang will get slashed or even shredded once a Sohal has established dominance. They’re just particularly big, tough, strong, quick and they will carry out a threat. They’re not like Yellow Tangs that act tough. If a Sohal doesn’t like you and you will be able to tell if they don’t like you but if one starts to do their tail whip at your arm or hand in the tank, be alert because they will take a shot at you. They’re kinda like some dogs in that they can be goofy little sweethearts to everyone and play with all the other dogs at the dog park, but sometimes there’s that other dog or stranger they catch sight of and the switch gets flipped. All of a sudden they’re like a T-1000 Terminator carrying out assassination orders.

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have added one 6inch sohal a few weeks ago togather with a purple tang . So far so good . Nobody bullying him and he doesn’t go after anyone neither . The purple tang got beat up by yellow tangs for a couple days . Now regained his confidence . No longer hiding

But I can tell the potential for sohal because he and the Achilles are both very fast swimmer and most active fish in the tank . He might become more aggressive when he grows larger . But he still won’t be largest fish in the tank .

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good setup for a beautiful Tang Town. Yellows love to act tough! That Purple will come back for his respect one day though. You see what their distinct personalities are like too. Sohal can get so overly excited about food and being first in line for everything too. They get as thick as a leather wallet overstuffed with membership cards and receipts too. If you haven’t tried it, the absolute best food I know of for Tangs is Dainichi Marine Reef Veggie FX. A lot of fish who won’t normally eat pellets will eat Dainichi. It will put weight on any fish that eats it but it fattens up Tangs like you’ve never seen. It’s really great for Genicanthus Angels like a Watanabe or a Bellus or my favorite, melanospilos. Fairy Wrasse will look noticeably healthier. Watch it get your LPS excited as a coral food too.

Attachments

• 44E86340-AAA6-491F-B855-1B88BB789360.jpeg
    44E86340-AAA6-491F-B855-1B88BB789360.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 39

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine… it’s probably a foot long now with the streamers. It went completely ape **** for about a month and I had to keep a mirror up. Anytime I add a new fish the mirror goes up for a day or 2 with little to no light. It has certainly established dominance in the tank and could/would kill if threatened by new fish.

Its in a 230 / 6 feet long constantly cruising the tank and being a bully. Very interactive, I only have 1 tang but I wouldn’t change that.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been wanting to add a sohal tang to my reef for quite a while but have been put off by scare stories of it being an overly aggressive bully, contstantly harassing other fish. What are peoples opinions? Should I risk it? Is it even a risk? Any successful soho keepers?
It's a 750G pond with multiple other tang species. Purple, regal, mustard, yellow and more.

Seems like the post is more about finding replies that fit your narrative. I only say this as you appear to have done some research with stories of aggressive behavior. I think the problem, regardless of aquarium or pond size, is that we has hobbyist don't really know. Fish have their own personalities much like us.

To try and provide my take I personally view it as a risk. And as with any risk what are my mitigation procedures. If any. Can you remove it. At what cost to other fish or corals due to the disruption. Are you willing to take a loss of fish if you can't remove it in time, etc.

Not here to say you can, or can't. My concern is risk factor and mitigation. Work through those and maybe you can decide better.

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to have one. It was in a 5ft tank lol. Rest in power, Jefe. I’m sure you know that tangs are very personable and intelligent but in a 750g I don’t see an issue lol. How many feet is it? 12?

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine… it’s probably a foot long now with the streamers. It went completely ape **** for about a month and I had to keep a mirror up. Anytime I add a new fish the mirror goes up for a day or 2 with little to no light. It has certainly established dominance in the tank and could/would kill if threatened by new fish.

Its in a 230 / 6 feet long constantly cruising the tank and being a bully. Very interactive, I only have 1 tang but I wouldn’t change that.

I love the thing with the mirror and I have seen them lose their marbles on one before even if you hold the mirror up for a few seconds, they want blood or they fall in love with themselves. There was a lawless savage of a Sohal I had to hold for a friend multiple times in an empty 240 that was plumbed into a larger reef. I had to plumb it and fill it the first time, so he paid hundreds of dollars in just the saltwater alone to keep that Sohal in jail for a few weeks at a time. Then he would supposedly be a good boy on parole back at home for a couple of months and then get arrested again for stabbing someone by the nori clip on the corner over another heroin deal gone wrong or something. I didn’t have a mirror at the shop, so I would hold up magazines with pictures of fish against the glass or cut a picture of a Tang out a magazine and tape it to the glass for a while.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I might give it a go but
I used to have one. It was in a 5ft tank lol. Rest in power, Jefe. I’m sure you know that tangs are very personable and intelligent but in a 750g I don’t see an issue lol. How many feet is it? 12?
Well it's 2m x 2m 80cm high. How was it in your tank? I think I will bite the bullet just not with the adult one I originally wanted. Probably get a small juvenile.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the post is more about finding replies that fit your narrative. I only say this as you appear to have done some research with stories of aggressive behavior. I think the problem, regardless of aquarium or pond size, is that we has hobbyist don't really know. Fish have their own personalities much like us.

To try and provide my take I personally view it as a risk. And as with any risk what are my mitigation procedures. If any. Can you remove it. At what cost to other fish or corals due to the disruption. Are you willing to take a loss of fish if you can't remove it in time, etc.

Not here to say you can, or can't. My concern is risk factor and mitigation. Work through those and maybe you can decide better.
I suppose it was in a way, not necessarily to fit my narrative but really I was after a bit of reassurance that they aren't all bad and to see stories of people keeping them successfully without murder all over the place. Trying really to make an informed decision based on keepers experiences rather than basing my decision on horror stories of which there're a lot of when searching sohal tang aggression on Google lol

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it was in a way, not necessarily to fit my narrative but really I was after a bit of reassurance that they aren't all bad and to see stories of people keeping them successfully without murder all over the place. Trying really to make an informed decision based on keepers experiences rather than basing my decision on horror stories of which there're a lot of when searching sohal tang aggression on Google lol

I totally understand. In that case really look into the 'what-if' and see if that can be managed or mitigated. I don't know the lay out of the display / pond so factor that in. Keep a fish trap large enough should you need it. Would also recommend an acclimation box depending on your stocking order. They are good to have anyway although not always a guarantee. Still nice to use though.

All the best.

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I might give it a go but

Well it's 2m x 2m 80cm high. How was it in your tank? I think I will bite the bullet just not with the adult one I originally wanted. Probably get a small juvenile.
So that is 6’x6’x2’. Mine behaved well but it’s hard to say. I loved mine so go for it and yes get a small one

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 4.5 Med juve Sohal one for my tank as the zin for my XL Purple Tang around Xmas. All was well till I lost him during a cold freeze in my QT which is in my garage in Dec. Haven't seen any more at my LFS but just got a similar 4" Clown Tang as a replacement. So far so good as the Purple Tang is almost 6-7" and king of the tank but as the Clown is similar in tempermant will see who eventually rules the tank in a few months. Still love the Sohals tho...and if I could get away with both in the tank [Clown and Sohal] I would in a heartbeat!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The main issue I’ve seen with them is they’re fine as juveniles but the adults are terrors. I’ve had them cohabitate with other tangs in an LFS environment but it can be difficult to manage. In your tank size they shouldn’t be an issue but it’s always that risk of aggression.
If you have no other tangs that are similar it will likely work but if you have a clown tang already it may be an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back