Are there any Digital Nitrate readers available?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any Digital Nitrate readers available besides Hanna?

If no, why is no company making digital readers more affordable? Seems technology has totally caught up with the feasibility.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any Digital Nitrate readers available?

If no, why is no company making digital readers more affordable? Seems technology has totally caught up with the feasibility.
Hanna - both high and low nitrate tests. Most people prefer the high. $50…

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HR doesn’t get any easier and I find it quite reliable. 10 ml tank water, press button to zero out, add reagent, press button wait 7 mins, done.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant an actually easy to use and reliable digital tester
The high range is easy to use with one reagent and is reliable.
Hannah is a company not just dedicated to reef keeping, it makes all types of analytical instruments. Would be expensive to start a company just for the purpose of making digital readers for reef keeping.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no stick that you put in the water and get a number. Also, Hanna isn't difficult to use at all. They're also pretty reliable.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reagent-less nitrate test is the one that uses UV light. The sensor alone costs $5,000. I expect the technology to trickle down to the hobbyist level eventually.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant an actually easy to use and reliable digital tester that doesn't rely on reagents.

What's not simple about dumping a packet in a cuvet, giving it a few shakes, and pressing some buttons?

It's far more reliable and accurate than standard titration tests. It's probably one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever purchased given the difficulty of deciphering between "pink" and "near imperceptibly differnt pink" of typical NO3 color charts.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago Pinpoint made one that used a probe. Wasn’t accurate at all and I think you can still purchase if you do an online search.
B93C8E07-7B53-4CDE-9065-A53A4300690A.png

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no stick that you put in the water and get a number. Also, Hanna isn't difficult to use at all. They're also pretty reliable.
This is what I am looking for :face-with-tears-of-joy: Or something you can just drip on a machine and get the numbers like a Milwaukee. I know there is the $1k+ units that test everything and are very reliable as well I just cant justify that expense quite yet. Was hoping that there were cheaper individual units.

My Hanna has been giving different readings. I go to my LFS to check and they use their Hanna and it also gives a different reading. Excuse me for looking for equipment that doesn't remind me of a chemistry experiment in middle school and can give me more solid numbers. Could it be our reagents are somehow bad?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just hoping to monitor my nitrates/phosphates everyday a little more easily/reliably. If I want to test everyday I would be spending $100-$200 on reagents a year.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am looking for :face-with-tears-of-joy: Or something you can just drip on a machine and get the numbers like a Milwaukee. I know there is the $1k+ units that test everything and are very reliable as well I just cant justify that expense quite yet. Was hoping that there were cheaper individual units.

My Hanna has been giving different readings. I go to my LFS to check and they use their Hanna and it also gives a different reading. Excuse me for looking for equipment that doesn't remind me of a chemistry experiment in middle school and can give me more solid numbers. Could it be our reagents are somehow bad?
There were some posts where a few people had some bad reagents so certainly possible.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pinpoint is an ion selective electrode. To be used properly, those almost always need addition of an ionic strength adjuster and calibration every 1-2 hours with 2-3 standard solutions. There's no advantage unless the sample is too colored for a colorimetric test or you're testing a lot of samples.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just hoping to monitor my nitrates/phosphates everyday a little more easily/reliably.

The existing manual test kits, hobby grade I'm talking about here, are what they are. Hanna as already noted is pretty simple. Alk, Nitrate, and Phosphate are probably the easiest and quickest to perform. Also repeatable if you follow your own process that works for you.

If you want automation that is a different story with different levels of investment and results. Some only do the three, some have you add the test kits and reagents, and of course the ION probe provided you can get one and it works.

Automated testing is great for trends but not necessary. Testing daily is great for trends but again isn't necessary. Testing every three days to once a week when setting up a tank I think you are covered with manual tests.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing manual test kits, hobby grade I'm talking about here, are what they are. Hanna as already noted is pretty simple. Alk, Nitrate, and Phosphate are probably the easiest and quickest to perform. Also repeatable if you follow your own process that works for you.

If you want automation that is a different story with different levels of investment and results. Some only do the three, some have you add the test kits and reagents, and of course the ION probe provided you can get one and it works.

Automated testing is great for trends but not necessary. Testing daily is great for trends but again isn't necessary. Testing every three days to once a week when setting up a tank I think you are covered with manual tests.
I have a ten gallon fluval evo that relies solely on organic filtration. My nitrates can fluctuate extremely rapidly with the small amount of water in the system (probably around 6-8 gallons water total). Testing my nutrients is becoming the most important aspect of running my system stable. Personally I would like to see my numbers everyday if I can!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If interested, do a search. They IDed certain lots of reagents. Said they looked darker than the usual white powder from what I remember.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ten gallon fluval evo that relies solely on organic filtration. My nitrates can fluctuate extremely rapidly with the small amount of water in the system (probably around 6-8 gallons water total). Testing my nutrients is becoming the most important aspect of running my system stable.

People have smaller Nano's and don't test daily. I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just hoping to monitor my nitrates/phosphates everyday a little more easily/reliably. If I want to test everyday I would be spending $100-$200 on reagents a year.
I don't know if it fits your budget, but you could look into the Mastertronic for automated daily monitoring of nitrate, phosphate, and more.

Costs like $1200

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back