Are there disease resistant fish?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that people won't QT wrasse or gobie fish with copper because they are sensitive to it. Does that mean they are not likely to get ich or velvet? do you know of any fish that are less likely to get those diseases? also what kinds of fish are not OK to QT with copper in general?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that people won't QT wrasse or gobie fish with copper because they are sensitive to it. Does that mean they are not likely to get ich or velvet? do you know of any fish that are less likely to get those diseases? also what kinds of fish are not OK to QT with copper in general?
Some fish are more resistant to disease and parasites, though still able to get it.

Wrasses and clownfish produce a relatively thicker slime coat that is more difficult for some parasites to penetrate.

Fish that are hardy won't get stressed out as easily as more delicate fish, and when stressed fish's immune systems don't work as they should.

Other methods, such as ttm can be utilized to guard against particularly virulent pathogens.

I don't use copper with wrasses, though I am beginning to suspect their sensitivity to copper is in part to misdosed copper, or a new wrasse's frailty, rather than the copper itself.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are more resistant to disease and parasites, though still able to get it.

Wrasses and clownfish produce a relatively thicker slime coat that is more difficult for some parasites to penetrate.

Fish that are hardy won't get stressed out as easily as more delicate fish, and when stressed fish's immune systems don't work as they should.

Other methods, such as ttm can be utilized to guard against particularly virulent pathogens.

I don't use copper with wrasses, though I am beginning to suspect their sensitivity to copper is in part to misdosed copper, or a new wrasse's frailty, rather than the copper itself.

So you prefer ttm as an overall method for a fish or just more delicate ones?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer TTM (you didn't ask me but I figured i would toss in my .02)

I will say though that TTM does nothing to address many common fish diseases or parasites such as velvet, flukes, intestinal parasites, or brooknylla. It does treat the most common ailment (ich) although I'm starting to suspect that velvet is almost as prevalent as ich these days

Last edited:

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer TTM (you didn't ask me but I figured i would toss in my .02)

I will say though that TTM does nothing to address many common fish diseases or parasites be such asvelvet, flukes, intestinal parasites, or brooknylla. It does treat the most common ailment (ich) although I'm starting to suspect that velvet is almost as prevalent as ich these days

Thanks. Yup. I get that. I know I will need other treatments like prazi. Thanks for the advice.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I prefer to use copper where possible, I find it easier than ttm, and I trust it in eliminating pathogens, though it is harsher on the fish, so not always advisable with more delicate species.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how would one go about QT gobies and wrasse if copper isn't a good option and TTM only works on ich?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how would one go about QT gobies and wrasse if copper isn't a good option and TTM only works on ich?
Chloroquine phosphate isn't as harsh, but bot as easy to acquire.

TTM isn't entirely uneffective against some of the other parasites with the disease resistant fishes, because it is more difficult for the parasites to 'latch on.'

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Paul B I have never QTd a fish in my life and or the last 25 years or so I have not had any disease in any of my tanks. Lucky you may think..... I think luck plays little part in it. I have most probably introduced the likes of white spot on more than one occasion and yes although for a few days after introducing a new fish I have seen flicking I have never seen any spots ever. I don't treat my tank unless you call the fact I use Oxydators as treatment or you consider the foods I feed and the fish oil I add to my foods some of which are home made. IME healthy fish either don't catch many of the diseases we hear about or they fend them off well before they become a major issue. Controversial, well yes but my fish live long lives and many spawn regular for me. The health of my animals speaks for itself however but I must be doing something wrong for my fish not to catch the likes of white spot. :rolleyes:

Taken a few days ago and yes I have plenty of fish in there.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Paul B I have never QTd a fish in my life and or the last 25 years or so I have not had any disease in any of my tanks. Lucky you may think..... I think luck plays little part in it. I have most probably introduced the likes of white spot on more than one occasion and yes although for a few days after introducing a new fish I have seen flicking I have never seen any spots ever. I don't treat my tank unless you call the fact I use Oxydators as treatment or you consider the foods I feed and the fish oil I add to my foods some of which are home made. IME healthy fish either don't catch many of the diseases we hear about or they fend them off well before they become a major issue. Controversial, well yes but my fish live long lives and many spawn regular for me. The health of my animals speaks for itself however but I must be doing something wrong for my fish not to catch the likes of white spot. :rolleyes:

Beautiful tank and aquascaping!

Now, just a challenge here, take that same mentality about never QTing and add a powder blue tang or achilles to that tank. No QTing and no disease is a feat with those tangs... no QTing and no disease isn't too unbelievable as with ridiculously hardy fish such as damsels and clowns.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and aquascaping!

Now, just a challenge here, take that same mentality about never QTing and add a powder blue tang or achilles to that tank. No QTing and no disease is a feat with those tangs... no QTing and no disease isn't too unbelievable as with ridiculously hardy fish such as damsels and clowns.

Yes I understand where you are coming from however my philosophy is to keep small fish and although I did keep a yellow tang (yes I know its not as finicky as a PB) I sold it on after I used it to help get rid of some nuisance low growing Caulerpa I had. However, I do have a pair of Royal Grammas which are also known to be white spot attractive. Purple firefish and damsels also catch white spot but not in my tank it seems. I also have various gobbies including a partner yellow watchman and a partner candy stripped with their resident pistol shrimp. My Midas blenny is also a scaleless fish and are known to catch WS easily. None and I mean none of these fish have I ever seen any sign of disease like white spot. I have read many stories of Royal Grammas being very susceptible to white spot maybe not as much as a PB etc as you know are scaleless fish but none the less RGs are reported to pick up white spot very easily. Having said that I believe it's the way I keep and feed my fish etc that is the key to the health of my fish.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into this when I first got back into the hobby because of eels. The only thing I did was dose with Prazipro and hoped for the best since copper shouldn't be used with them. This can be tricky, but find a method you like and swim with it.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All fish I see there are largely exceptionally hardy and there are dozens of other common species where you would likely be able to do as you describe for decades without issue. I did the same for largely ten years.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never understood why proper QT & proper nutrition need to be mutually exclusive. You can soak food in fish oil (and feed other vitamin enriched foods) whilst in QT just as easily as you can in a DT. :p Take my advice when it comes to QT, but listen to people like @atoll @Paul B @robert once your fish is in the DT ... and you & your fish will be happy happy happy. :D

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never understood why proper QT & proper nutrition need to be mutually exclusive. You can soak food in fish oil (and feed other vitamin enriched foods) whilst in QT just as easily as you can in a DT. :p Take my advice when it comes to QT, but listen to people like @atoll @Paul B @robert once your fish is in the DT ... and you & your fish will be happy happy happy. :D
Couldn't agree more

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish I see there are largely exceptionally hardy and there are dozens of other common species where you would likely be able to do as you describe for decades without issue. I did the same for largely ten years.
So you can't see my purple firefish nor my Royal Grammas and Midas blenny or that you think these are "exceptionally hardy" Really? They maybe considered easy to keep but if you google white spot and Royal Grammas or white spot and firefish even damsels pick up white spot without too much trouble all providing of course they don't get what I would call the "correct care and feeding" Powder blues are not considered a difficult fish to care for but as with all and as I point out providing you provide for whatever fish you keep needs.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I feed in my DT,
IMG_3256.JPG

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can speak from recent experience herebas @Humblefish can tell you. However prior to treatment I noticedba large depletion of white spots on my new sailfin tang. So to avoid stressing the fish further ive left him. If the disease has droped my tank is already infected. Not to mention a sailfin is alot harder to catch than i thought. Point being i would have much less stress right now had i qt. But untill this point years of never seeing velvet or ick. So itsbunclear whats going on with the tang but 3 days have passed and he is acting 100percent normal and has noticably less spots... i hope to try medicated food and avoid stress and maybe the fish can fight whatever it is. If its velvet i will be hospitalizing several fish very soon.... if it clears up its a staple in paul b and others no qt practice
I do believe i will qt from this day forward. Sorry for the long post

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What can I tell you. Paul B has kept his tank and looked after it in a similar way for around 45 years I think it is. However, I am a newbee in comparison to Paul with just 35 years under my belt and have had 9 or is it 10 tanks in that time from nano to 140 gallon reef tanks. I have been adding fish oil and vitamins fo the majority of this time but I also go the fish market and buy fresh foods I then make up myself. Paul B is lucky to be able to catch some of his fish foods itself.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back