Are we ruining the hobby???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with all due respect, i do love the coral and product you sell aswell as the customer appreciation but i feel like as much as this is a heartfelt worry, this is also a business game. "I worry about where reef keeping will go and how expensive it is but come look at how low my prices are against other resellers."

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff. I love taking my kids to do stuff like that. GA aquarium is a favorite

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with all due respect, i do love the coral and product you sell aswell as the customer appreciation but i feel like as much as this is a heartfelt worry, this is also a business game. "I worry about where reef keeping will go and how expensive it is but come look at how low my prices are against other resellers."

Well, this is my forum, not general reef discussion. However, I have not posted any for sale links or promoted any product I sell. I sell livestock at all prices, so to say I'm promoting in this thread that I sell at a lower price than anyone else is inaccurate and a misreading of the purpose of the thread. I'm not just talking about prices in this thread.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly most of the really really pretty corals have some obscene name which drives up the prices to hundreds of dollars.

I’m dying for a beach bum montipora/kung pow montipora but those costs hundreds for frags smaller then a dime........

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is my forum, not general reef discussion. However, I have not posted any for sale links or promoted any product I sell. I sell livestock at all prices, so to say I'm promoting in this thread that I sell at a lower price than anyone else is inaccurate and a misreading of the purpose of the thread. I'm not just talking about prices in this thread.
Not here to argue, not here for an ego trip, although some flaws were written in your reply. I have percieved it a certain way and that is it.

U

User1

View Badges
Big reef on a budget

One of our 215 gal display tanks

This tank was redone 6 months ago out of boredom from having seahorses in it for years and was then completely revamped with frags from our greenhouse
3 Ocean Revive LED fixtures, 10 hrs all blue then 1 hr blue with full spectrum
2 Jebo return pumps and one additional connected to sea swirl
1 mp40
Reef Octopus skimmer
Mesh bag with carbon in filter sock, sock changed weekly, carbon rinsed weekly and changed monthly
DIY Algae scrubber
Kalk drip via peristaltic pump
Weekly 10 gal water change, ESV salt mix
Feeding twice daily for fish with nori, TDO pellets, and mix of Reef Nutrition products
Feeding nightly for corals via broadcast with in-house grown live phytoplankton, live copepods. live rotifers, and live brine shrimp-all stages.

No other additives, seldom water testing, no controllers.

20190928_105838~2.jpg

20190928_105610~2.jpg
20190928_105546~2.jpg
20190928_105625~2.jpg
20190928_105757~2.jpg
20190928_105642~2.jpg
20190928_105706~2.jpg
20190928_105720~2.jpg
20190928_105737~2.jpg
20190928_105931.jpg
20190928_110013.jpg

Well...some of us don't have a green house to raid :)

On the other hand 90% of my coral frags are from you. So I sort of guess I raided it a little bit.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly most of the really really pretty corals have some obscene name which drives up the prices to hundreds of dollars.

I’m dying for a beach bum montipora/kung pow montipora but those costs hundreds for frags smaller then a dime........

If all of the really pretty corals weren’t named, do you think they’d be cheaper? If industry names didn’t exist at all, would coral be cheaper? I’m not totally sure. We’d probably just say I just paid $600 for that red acro with the yellow tips from Cattlecorals. No, not that red one with the yellow tips, the one with the smaller coralites and deeper red. For this reason, I don’t mind industry names.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all of the really pretty corals weren’t named, do you think they’d be cheaper? If industry names didn’t exist at all, would coral be cheaper? I’m not totally sure. We’d probably just say I just paid $600 for that red acro with the yellow tips from Cattlecorals. No, not that red one with the yellow tips, the one with the smaller coralites and deeper red. For this reason, I don’t mind industry names.

I believe people pay for the names. Like designer clothes.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe people pay for the names. Like designer clothes.

I agree to some extent, but sometimes people pay more for designer clothes because they are made of better materials, have a distinctive look, or are better made. A lot of designer clothes don’t have logos or evident branding at all. They are just plain nice. I think some corals are like this. They are just plain nice and deserve a premium even without a name.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to some extent, but sometimes people pay more for designer clothes because they are made of better materials, have a distinctive look, or are better made. A lot of designer clothes don’t have logos or evident branding at all. They are just plain nice. I think some corals are like this. They are just plain nice and deserve a premium even without a name.
I still dont like the fact that corals smaller then dimes go for hundreds. Like cornbread for example. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT HE SENDS YOU?

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a marine aquarium hobbyist since 1965. Actually, we did quite well back then at keeping all types of fish, inverts, anemones, etc. I had many tanks and worked at Marine World in the Chicago area. Tanks were beautiful, basic, and most fish lived well. Myself and friends had all sorts of fish that would spawn and it was an enjoyable hobby. I loved seeing fish from all over the world: Pinecone fish from the South China Sea, Purple Tangs from the Red Sea, Clownfish from the Phillipines, fish hand caught by Rodney Jonklaas in the Indian Ocean, chunks of rock with sponges, gorgos, and corals from the Keys, all kinds of inverts, etc. With just a basic understanding of nitrogen cycle, the hobby was fun and relatively inexpensive and accessible to most folks.

Then in the 80s the hobby transformed into reefkeeping with the ability to keep more corals. As time has gone on the hobby progressed from most folks not being able to keep too many different corals and buying colonies to where we are today with designer corals and tiny frags.

In some respects this has been the natural progression, as equipment such as lighting and skimmers, etc. have improved--so has the ability to not only keep but propagate most corals.

When Pacific East Aquaculture started in 1999-2000 we sold lots of colonies and started growing some frags. We described the corals as Blue Acropora or Pink Bird's Nest and that was sufficient. At that time most folks were thrilled to just be able to just keep such corals alive. Naturally, over time we saw many of our customers become vendors as the ability to keep corals became more understood and easier so did the ability to propagate them. This progression was great.

At some point several years ago the number of coral vendors grew exponentially. I recall being one of maybe 3 coral vendors at MACNA in DC years ago to now there are close to a hundred. Things began to change as the industry became more competitive. In order to stand out and sell their corals vendors began using crazy names and prices to create so-called limited editions. Auctions started, and live sales, all in the interest of driving the hype, increasing sales, and profitability. Great, right? It's the American way, right? Good marketing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about this progression, just observing from many years on the inside. But, have we gone too far? Is where we are at now healthy for this hobby/industry? Are we bringing in enough new hobbyists to sustain it all? Have we made this into a rich man's hobby?? $1500 1/2 inch designer Acro frags, 25,000 angelfish, $1000 must have controllers, $800 can't live without LED fixtures, impossibly complicated dosing regimens, etc., etc! Have we killed the joy?

The weekly live sale or Ebay auctions and the endless hype leads to the frenzied hobbyist that is constantly trying to one-up other hobbyists. Tanks filled with tiny frags and the thought by many that if I get the latest designer coral I can grow it out and make a fortune.

But, what about the future of the hobby? Are we making it too complicated, too expensive, too elitist?? Are star polyps, leathers, and bubble corals no longer enough? Of course not, right?

True story: several years ago at a swap, (I use to be a vendor at about 25 a year), I had about 30 frags of really nice blue Zoanthids. Many folks came up to our booth and liked them, but they asked "what's the name"? When I shrugged my shoulders and said blue zoos, they walked away even though they liked the coral. By the early afternoon I became frustrated and started calling them King's Ransom Zoanthids. As the afternoon crowd flocked in we started selling them. Soon I had folks coming up asking if I had any of them King's Ransoms! And indeed, the very same coral that we couldn't sell any, sold out within a couple hours. What did this show me? Obviously I'm really dumb about marketing!! OK, admittedly, I still prefer, to my detriment, to say Blue Acro instead of Rainbow Swirl Atomic Passion Acro. Sure I'd sell more Atomic Passions, but it still gives me an icky feeling. Yeah, I know, I'm just dumb!

So, I know this thread will bring endless responses about how the designer craze is not what most folks want and object to it. But, at the same time I'll see someone ask "ID please, what's the name of this" , and they don't mean Acropora sarmentosa, they want Atomic Passion.

OK, so I'm getting to be an old curmudgeon. Maybe so, I've always been more of an old school low tech reefkeeper. I shun most new technology. I feel it makes things too complicated, expensive, prone to disasterous failures, and drives off potential new hobbyists. I'm so tired of folks coming into my store that are new hobbyists that feel reef tanks are impossible to keep or are bogged down in and endless string of agonizing problems from water chemistry perplexities to nuisance algae to losing all their fish to a parasite because they bought one fish at the local pet shop staffed with high school kids with zero experience.

I know, the Genie is out of the bottle now and it ain't going back in! So, just get with it old man!

I worked here late 60s - mid 70s. At the time they ran ads in TFH and other magazines on the theme of "I'm not so rare at Marine World" and showed a different fish each month, such as the then rarely seen Flame Angelfish!
MarineWorld1_600x.jpg

We went from barely being able to keep corals alive to now propagating them easily. But, have we gone too far?? Designer names, insane prices, expensive equipment made out to be essential, complicated dosing requirements, etc. Where does this ultimately take us???
IMG-20180703-WA0000~2.jpg

What about bringing new hobbyists in? The kids? Does everyone have thousands$$$ to afford that "impossible to keep" reef aquarium?
StudentsInterns5.jpg

Anyway, it's been an interesting journey. Can't wait to see what's next. The coral export bans are transforming the hobby again. We shall see how it all turns out in the next year or two.
In regards to what you said about the $800 led lights being too expensive, why don’t you calculate how much whatever lights you were using in the 60’s and compare today to see which would save you more money over time???

Cause I know for a fact if I went old school with the lights my electric bill would be through the roof.

I agree with some of what you said but definitely not all of it.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to what you said about the $800 led lights being too expensive, why don’t you calculate how much whatever lights you were using in the 60’s and compare today to see which would save you more money over time???

Cause I know for a fact if I went old school with the lights my electric bill would be through the roof.

Not to mention replacing bulbs.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not my point. The point is the same results can be gotten with cheap black box LEDs. The costs tend to discourage new hobbyists.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my point. The point is the same results can be gotten with cheap black box LEDs. The costs tend to discourage new hobbyists.
You definitely don’t get the same results with black box led, but hey if you like the cheap stuff that doesn’t look good, has a horrible warranty and is a constant fire risk to your home among many other things I encourage you to buy the cheap black boxes. You get what you pay for.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the longer the name the higher the price. 10 words name coral got to sell for at least 1000.00.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely don’t get the same results with black box led, but hey if you like the cheap stuff that doesn’t look good, has a horrible warranty and is a constant fire risk to your home among many other things I encourage you to buy the cheap black boxes. You get what you pay for.

To each their own my friend. I operate a commercial coral aquaculture facility and been using the cheapie LEDs for many years with excellent results and zero fires.

My point here is the same results can be achieved with less cost and hype. And am concerned with the direction of the hobby. No one is right or wrong, just different views and opinions.

If you are into the so-called "high-end" stuff then more power to you. However, it is not needed to achieve a beautiful reef tank. I'm not talking about doing it on the cheap and having it look like junk. Doing it on a shoestring is one thing, doing it without paying more for a brand or designer name is totally another thing.

The extremely expensive equipment, the complexity of controllers and dosers, etc, the designer names with higher prices because of that name or because of the name of the person that named it is IMO daunting to new hobbyists.

In recent years the naming craze and costs have exploded and it's all just marketing to drive sales and prices. I understand it, I just think it's ultimately destructive. That's my opinion, you are entitled to yours. Both views can coexist politely.

I sell expensive corals, cheap corals, all corals. Sales are not the point of this thread, the longer term direction of the hobby was my concern. There are folks obviously on all sides of the issue. I periodically see threads on this board where folks complain about the names and prices at the same time there are threads pitching the latest greatest new release and other threads with folks asking the designer names of their corals as though without the name they don't want them. Read through the thread and see my examples.

For those that need and love the names and prices and the latest controller or expensive LED fixture, go for it if it makes you happy and makes your reef better. Perception is reality. For those that love the hobby for the love of the animals and could care less about designer names or having the latest equipment, I'm more in your direction. As a business owner it's more in my interest to play the game, as a hobbyist at heart I miss the simple days before it all.

I understand that on R2R my views are not those of the majority. Designer names, live sales, auctions, so-called "high-end" is the dominant lifestyle. Again, to each their own.

Last edited:

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on your locale.. I just feel like a newcomer to the hobby, a kid , or college student for example will have a tough time without the help of their parents financially..
You got salesman man over here explaining how you have to have a skimmer, and an ato, and sump...latest LEDs..just for a 15 gallon, lol

The new generation is entering a very confusing market at this point in time.
A fowlr can be kept inexpensive , and new salt water costumer would not know anything about that.
Dr. Mac , I like that you traveled to these places to hand pick the corals yourself for your business..

So many hobbyist and I'm starting to see an explosion of garage growers selling near me, and really everywhere..it's just a matter of time before we see a serious decrease in prices, not enough LFS to take dem corals of these people's hands...
And I agree, soft corals , easy corals is where is at.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like it if naming corals had more use that making the corals sound sexy so they sell better.

Corals already have useful names that likely should be used in the hobby. "Dr. Mac's Oz Blue tipped Acropora tenius" is so much more useful over time than "Jedi Lightsaber" because it tells you what we think the coral actually is, where it was sourced, and where it was purchased.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like it if naming corals had more use that making the corals sound sexy so they sell better.

Corals already have useful names that likely should be used in the hobby. "Dr. Mac's Oz Blue tipped Acropora tenius" is so much more useful over time than "Jedi Lightsaber" because it tells you what we think the coral actually is, where it was sourced, and where it was purchased.

Ha! Turns out I wrote about this in 2011

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back