• Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes BUT NOT by choice. Ever go to a frag swap and bring home frags and place into your frag rack or hole in rock for it to fall into a crevice you will never reach or have than clumsy fish that knocks it into a hole

THAT WOULD BE ME !!!
You're not alone in that department brother!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep them as decorations… I swear it’s not like I’m collecting coral just to have them die!!
image.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, before Reef Police jump on me, these corals were collected perhaps before many of us were born... My parents used to go to Keys on honeymoon and then vacations, and they would bring back corals.

When I grew up and got into the hobby, I asked for their decorative corals and used them in my FOWLR tanks... Kept them in storage and couple years ago, mom asked get out of her basement...

Now they live on shelves in my fish room (office)

Dead FL corals from old VA tanks.JPG

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, before Reef Police jump on me, these corals were collected perhaps before many of us were born... My parents used to go to Keys on honeymoon and then vacations, and they would bring back corals.

When I grew up and got into the hobby, I asked for their decorative corals and used them in my FOWLR tanks... Kept them in storage and couple years ago, mom asked get out of her basement...

Now they live on shelves in my fish room (office)

Dead FL corals from old VA tanks.JPG
Those are stunning pieces!! How big is the largest colony?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said a few times, that if scientists ever came to upstate NY, and combed the woods next to my house, they would think a thriving reef once lived there.

I chuck my dead coral in the woods next to my house. LOL

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to happen to 100% of those of us who keep coral. Coral deaths. One of the saddest parts of being a reef aquarium owner is the loss of coral. To watch your beloved livestock become irritated, close up and then to literally die in front of your eyes is terrible! With all that trauma, who needs a reminder that gets left with certain type of corals? Yes, we're talking the skeleton here. :loudly-crying-face: Let's talk about it.

Do you keep your coral skeletons, why or why not?
bigstock-Dry-Coral-Isolated-On-A-White--433640138.jpg
I have 2 decent sized ones I keep. I like to use them when doing my educational talk to folks looking at the tank when I go overboard with explanations about my corals and about every other aspect of keeping an aquarium. I usually stop about 10 minutes after I see their eyes glaze over.

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we usually throw them in our refugium or sump (depending on tank) as extra biomedia if they are really cool we will save them and put them on a shelf.

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the skeletons thinking I might be able to break them up into small pieces and use them in the substrate. I also wonder if I can grind them to powder and give them a burial in my garden and possibly add nutrients back to the soil at the same time. I have a hard time with the thought of just tossing them in the garbage. Another thought is possibly putting them into the compost.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back