Are you happy with your saltwater reef aquarium right now?

Are you happy with your saltwater reef aquarium right now?

• YES (tell us why)

Votes: 139 44.3%
  • NO (tell us why)

Votes: 80 25.5%
  • Somewhat (tell us why)

Votes: 95 30.3%

• Total voters

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, because I don't actually have a functioning tank yet. I have 5 new tanks (180g, 55g, 40g, 20H, 10g) and a used 30L. Still collecting parts and pieces....

I took a long break from the hobby. Fast forward 6 or 7 yrs. I bought a used 90g RR off FB Marketplace. My wife suggested it was too small and we agreed to get a new and much bigger tank. Bought a brand new 180g Marineland reef ready (dual corner overflows). Started drawing plans for the stand and collecting parts. We just moved to Florida (after 22yrs in Colorado) for my wifes career. She got a big promotion and a fat raise. I'm sitting here planning for this giant tank and she gets notice that we might have to transfer again in a year. Not sure if we're headed to Omaha, Huntsville, DC, Buffalo or back to Colorado.

Building a 180g just to tear it down in a year or less sounded foolish and exhausting. But what do ya do with a brand new $1,500 tank?

I decided to throttle back. I will most likely use the 40g breeder as my display and the 30L as the sump, since it's been a sump once before and already has the baffles and silicone stains from previous overhauls. I wanted the 20H and the 10g for hospital tanks or coral QT tanks. The 55g was to be the sump for my 180g but since that's on hold it will have to sit in the corner and collect dust with the 180g. I won't have that much invested in the 40g breeder so breaking it down in a year won't be too much of a loss. I just hope I can move the 180g to the new location. I don't care about the rest of the tanks, as they were cheap with Petco's $1/gallon sale. I might build a wooden crate for the 180g. I know I'm not setting it up while we're here, so my best chance at salvaging it would be to protect it for transport.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from having zero nitrates and phosphates and some slightly paled SPS, I am generally happy lately. Growth has been good and the fish are happy.

b1d071d71c4140b30b7800f9f0cfa03b.jpg

04a737cd35d043b9da8bbd0d07375359.jpg

7b88ce85c4cbfeaae6fbfb9d90bc2eb3.jpg

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking good for my 180g.

Finally getting disciplined about water changes. Popper fuge light is keeping chaeto growing. Added some SPS when refapalooza came to LA and they're all doing pretty good.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. Yes because for being 6 months old my reef is doing really well, had no algea bloom or new tank uglies, stable, growing coralline, first few corals are doing well, fish are doing well.
No because I only have a few corals and fish and want to stock up this tank, need a dosing setting and some blue led for pop.

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty stoked about my tank atm. For a while I didn't add a coral because I wasn't sure if any coral would survive a bombing of fenbendazole, but I finally took care of the xenia that was pillaging and plundering further by the day, and everything looks great. The fish are fat, and the coral we have is looking happy as heck. I finally have 8 channels running on dosers, and with cleaning the skimmer cup daily, it seems we've reached consistency. We are actually putting some new coral in the tank this weekend:D

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted somewhat.

My tank is turning around, most new additions doing well while established corals are still thriving. I have a good handle on GHA in the main display, newly added chaeto grows very well and has started to take care of excessive nutrients.

Time is what I seem to lack in progressing onto reef projects. I can keep up with regular water changes, testing, kalk dripping, but my doser project is still in pieces(not sure it is really necessary at this point, my Ca/Alk needs are low). I still haven't got all the pieces and parts for my WC station, one free weekend is all I need.

This forum is great, but it is also the devil.....I see all sorts of ideas and tanks and sumps that I want my system to evolve to, but more than likely won't, mostly due to space limitations and money.

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some what happy. I love my fish, they are growing a lot and getting along thanks to other members here making it easy with the fish comparability charts. My coral is growing well, not as colorful as I'd like but I haven't lost anything in 6 months *knock on wood* I'm frustrated with the tank itself. The overflow box is too big and intrudes into the tank too far. Had I known that before I bought, I wouldn't have bought. I would have waited and saved 2 more months for something better. My rockscape sucks because I tried to hide the overflow and I lost a lot of space. Moral of the story, don't buy sight unseen from online store. Go look at it before buying. Yes, they had pictures of the tank, but just like buying coral online, they are always different in person.

playapixie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! It's taken 7 years and a fair amount of money thrown at a controller and automation, but it's a beautiful, thriving joy now.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very happy. 675g system has been running since 1998 but in the past few months it has had an infusion of Copper that has flat-out killed all of my across and most of my other hard corals. What’s even more disheartening is that I’ve been unable to find the source of this Copper even though I’ve removed all of my owerheads, changed out my return pumps, and completely cleaned out my sump. My Polypads are still blue at the end of the month. By now, I have resigned myself to the fact that all of my live rock is ‘poisoned’ and there is very little I can do to bring things back. So I’ve filled it in with a bunch of hammers and torches which seem more tolerant to the metal, and now in the process of trying to sell the house and take everything down. Hoping a new ‘from scratch’ build will help lift my spirits.

lejeune981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 50/50
Tank is thriving for the most part.. just lost 10 heads on my frogspawn out of nowhere.. all other lps and sps are thriving.. 60ml of 2 part a day..

But this dang APTASIA.. I cant get rid of it..
Berghia nudibranchs 1 year 3 months ...... check
Matted file fish .... 6 months Check
Cant keep shrimp because of a hawkfish

Aptasia still dominate my tank

Berghia knocked out the aptasia problem I had in the new system in a month.. and it was at the time worse than my existing reef..

If I could beat these dang anemones... I would be 100 percent happy with my system

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hesitating to vote. I am happy with my tank, in that it makes me happy and some aspects are doing very well, like my LPS, flow, pods and that I am able to keep sps, lps, softies and a mandarin in a 29 gallon nano. On the other hand, I struggle to keep alk steady and it's been an all out exhausting war with algae.

I am excited about the progress and looking forward to next year as the coral fill out and I add the next group of frags into the tank.

It's a journey, and often, the journey can be better than the actual destination.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back