AriMiko's 300DD build

airgoose2222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read about the use of check valves. I learned that lesson the hard way when the power went out. The backflow from my pump overflowed my sump and had a mess on my hands. Have you shut off the pump to simulate an outage to check if your sump can handle the backflow of water?

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I didn't read about the use of check valves. I learned that lesson the hard way when the power went out. The backflow from my pump overflowed my sump and had a mess on my hands. Have you shut off the pump to simulate an outage to check if your sump can handle the backflow of water?

Forgot to add you have an awesome build going. Great job!

Yes, my sump runs at only a 8" water depth so I have plenty of room for the back flow when the pump is shut down. I did not end up installing the check valve. My SWC skimmer likes a 8" water depth also and I wanted to avoid putting it on a stand. Thank you for the compliment.

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Quick update.... Tank is currently cycled and I added a few fish from my holding tanks. I added my longnose hawk, purple firefish and 2 clownfish. I also did some more work in the sump area with the wiring. Here are a few more aquascape shots.

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on the Marco Rocks mortar mix? How long did it take to dry? I'm thinking about ordering some but my rock is wet and cycled and I don't want to leave it out for too long.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gonna be awesome with corals growing on that scape!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your thoughts on the Marco Rocks mortar mix? How long did it take to dry? I'm thinking about ordering some but my rock is wet and cycled and I don't want to leave it out for too long.

I'll answer. It takes a couple minutes to mix and a couple hours to dry. It really is awesome stuff!

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Like Rev stated, but in my opinion if you are using it on cycled rock that is in the tank I wouldn't recommend it. You will have to remove the rock and have it dry before adding the mortar mix and allow it enough curing time before adding it back in the tank. You will have die off of bacteria on your rocks and if the mortar mix is not fully dry it could crack on you depending how you handle the rocks. I had that happen to me a bunch of times due to my impatience lol.

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Update time...I have light and fish

I added a Marinepure BioBlock to my sump which is the 8" x 8" x 4" model, supposedly it has 23,000 Sq ft of surface area. I don't know how that is possible but I decided to give it a shot lol

I built a box to cover my diy led/t5 lighting system out of stainless steel look alike formica and painted the inside white. This will be suspended from the ceiling above the tank.

Here is the lighting system which consist of 60 royal blues, 36 cool whites, 20 blues, 4 neutral whites, 2 greens and 2 reds. All leds are the cree 3 watt leds which total out at 120 leds. I also added two 60" T5's , 1 Aquablue, 1 Figi purple and two 48" T5's which are the blue plus.

I now have the light fixture mounted above the tank and powered up. I have not put the T5 bulbs in yet.

I also added a few fish, a nice school of Chromis....

OP
OP
AriMiko43

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looking good, I'd think that the filter block would be doing the same thing as porous live rock would?

Yes, I got it since I am not stacked with rock in the display. I wanted a open look so I figured I'll add the block to the sump for extra surface area.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I love it!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back