Astreopora?

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frag was sold to me as Astreopora. The skeleton is web-like as it is in alveopora or gonipora, but the polyps are smaller than most cyphastrea. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks rather like a Caulastrea colony...
Also, your tank looks very young, maybe too soon for coral?
Yes my 180g is about seven months in...not my first time reefing though...been on a 10 year hiatus doing big FW predators and such. Lot's of my Euphyllia colonies have been going 5 months plus and have gone from single to three heads and one actually has four heads, Acans/Micromussa have doubled, my montis and purple milk sylo has gone crazy, I have been maintaining a rainbow goni for about 3 months..My duncan has gone from 4 to 18 heads. I have some nice lepto, cyphastrea, and chalice growth.

Now, I get it if you are simply commenting on lack of coraline, other than ocd scraping it off the back of the acrylic, I also was dosing h2o2 for 2+ of those months (paranoia after seeing a spot on a fish) which probably had an impact (did do a number on the biome/flora), but still didn't lose any coral or fish during the dosing. I did rehome some fish. The coraline is still present on some of the rockwork. I actually don't want coraline...in the past I have found it as more of a supplement sink and nuissance than anything beneficial. The ability to grow it is a cardinal sign of stability and is a good thing...but it ends there with me. My parameters are fairly stable at 1450mg/Ca450/Alk 8.8. NO3 stable at 15 with nopox, I dose the ABCD trace, but was considering moonshiners. and PO4 at 0.06 with Lanthinum CL daily dosing. My alk uptake is still fairly low at 0.2 daily. Thanks for the ID...I will look at some Caulastrea photos. But, I know it's not candy cane :) I didn't think it was Astreopora :)

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frag was sold to me as Astreopora. The skeleton is web-like as it is in alveopora or gonipora, but the polyps are smaller than most cyphastrea. Any thoughts?

@encrustingacro any ideas?

I’d say it could be an Astreopora but it doesn’t look like the polyps are correct.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@encrustingacro any ideas?

I’d say it could be an Astreopora but it doesn’t look like the polyps are correct.
Yeah I am a little stumped the polyps are almost sps size. I was also considering maybe a green bernadapora (most I see are duller and earthy colored though) or some sort of microgoni, but once again the polyps throw me off. Thanks for giving it a swing.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Astreopora; Astreopora has papillae and larger, more widely spaced corallites with tentacles in 2 orders.
Not Bernardpora either
Any clue what it might be? It has a goni like skeleton with much shorter, smaller, and tighter polips...could it be a type of porites?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%

Back