At what age you will quit the hobby for good?

At what age you will quit the hobby for good?

• Total voters

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say the first person to live to 150 is alive right now, I've decided it is me. So, I'll quit at 151 when I die.

Just a guess... putting on my carnival hat, I'm going to say... you're under 30, and male, right?

As time goes by, you attend the funerals of friends and family... one day, if you live long enough, you may realize that outliving everyone you know and love might not be such a great plan.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably be over 70. It really all depends on what my wife and I do when we retire which will probably be mid 60's, I'm 49 now. If we don't want to pay pet sitters and want to travel more then the tank may go away and become a vivarium with automated misters. I actually may want to change my system when I retire since I will have more time to tinker with it to make it easier.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still be able to do WC at age 80? Or service the return pump, power head, skimmer pump , clean the protein skimmer, clean the tank, change cal reactor media n co2 lol financially I don't have a problem but physically I don't think I can do it. If I have to hire someone to do it then it's time for me to quit
How would I know? I'm only half way to 80. My dad is 86. He washes his own car, does his own laundry and workout at the gym everyday. With the right plumbing setup, WC should be a manageable task. OP question is hypothetical. My answer is "I don't foresee..."

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a guess... putting on my carnival hat, I'm going to say... you're under 30, and male, right?

As time goes by, you attend the funerals of friends and family... one day, if you live long enough, you may realize that outliving everyone you know and love might not be such a great plan.

I’m old enough to understand this sentiment, but I refuse to accept it.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reefing at 52. I’ll quit when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Not really, I just thought it would be cool to say that!

I hope to reef till I just can’t physically do it anymore.

Last edited:

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are correct, though man you are a buzzkill. No offense, I say it all in jest of course, but coming in with the heavy feels. You may be right, but unfortunately that is part of life, and I plan to enjoy life as long as I can.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still be able to do WC at age 80? Or service the return pump, power head, skimmer pump , clean the protein skimmer, clean the tank, change cal reactor media n co2 lol financially I don't have a problem but physically I don't think I can do it. If I have to hire someone to do it then it's time for me to quit
I feel it has more to do with how well you take care of yourself than how hard it is to take care of the tank.

I know some 80 year old's that could absolutely manage the maintenance on a reef tank. I know some 60 year old's that could not.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how your thoughts change when you are the oldest living member of your family and you are next in line.

I was thinking yesterday how nice it would be to have a tank with a sump on the same level so no bending over mucking around in the stand to do stuff.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never! Already had to stop once, refuse to stop again. When by body quits just cremate it and throw the ashes into the tank. Let the critters "absorb me". That way my beloved wench can still stand at the tank and nag at me to clean up my clutter. Just please don't use a filter sock! Don't want to get rinsed down into the sewer. I hear it's cold down there.:eek:;Walkingdead

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ~60 now. I started being salty at ~14 and plan to go as long as possible. Luckily I have 4 children to pass the torch to. I have them set up with tanks, so I hope I live on in some way. :) (I say, 4 children. One passed late October of 2017 and I still include him).

I love the hobby so much that I got another/highest degree in Marine Biology several years back. ;)

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never thought about this, but it is intriguing. At what point do I stop? I imagine at 60+ I will be doing a lot more other things that would prevent me from adequately taking care of my system. Who knows in 20 years reef keeping may become completely automated and simple, and the only thing you have to do is just stare at the fishes and coral.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 39, and can't really predict the future, but I'll go as long as I can. No idea if I'll ever be 80 or even 70, no idea what kind of health I will be in, so I am not going to fuss with it now, have to wait and see. I know some 80 year olds who are in excellent shape and can do all sorts of physical activities, and I know a 60 year old who can barely walk, so age isn't always the issue, its how one ages and how our bodies cope with the aging that matters.

I have no specific age in mind, all depends on how I age and feel.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back