ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI North America: any chance or way to edit the .json files on a remote computer? The interface is, charitably, hard to use precisely on a phone screen. For those of us who dont have laptops, a way to open and edit the file remotely then resave would be most appreciated.

I am not aware of any "official" methods of doing this, however I googled around and found a google chrome json editor among others. I would recommend opening it in one of those and see if you can understand the format. Keep in mind if you mess everything up you can always factory reset the fixture and start over.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2.5 minute, very poorly done video of my DIY Straton light rack. Cheap, easy to put together. Hopefully it works and stays level. Right now it is just dry fitted. I will next drill some holes in the Z flange and screw it together.

Does anything about this DIY design or material CONCERN any of you? Pleased to hear from you.

ChefJTMK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all but mainly Reef-Engineer for this amazing and informative thread. Time to offload extra equipment or sell a kid to upgrade!!

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea for the hanging hardware. To keep it level, why don't you just use 2 horizontal 80/20 bars and screw them into the ends of your z bar (ladder style) instead of just one in the middle and run hanging wires from each?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea for the hanging hardware. To keep it level, why don't you just use 2 horizontal 80/20 bars and screw them into the ends of your z bar (ladder style) instead of just one in the middle and run hanging wires from each?
Thank you. I can't take too much credit for the design, as it is a cheap knockoff of the presently unobtainable ATI Straton Rail kit. I also found it attractive that in theory, I would be able to remove one and slide the other two around should one need repair. This could be done (in theory) without needing to remove the rack. Having put it together a couple times I realize that is not all that practical.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought maybe ATI will be the next time I try an LED fixture again, then I read about WiFi, software updates, parts shortages and I feel its just another industry game

ATI is so much better than this

give us an LED that works with some pre programmed settings, let us set our own spectrum if we want. Make it simple To use, it’s a light, not a space rocket. It shouldn’t need constant updates and tweaking or upselling.

just my thoughts, im sure many people will use the light and have success.

ATI should follow their T5 fixture model
pick bulbs, plug in, success!!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equating the complexity of a LED fixture with its own internal webserver to a plain T5 ballast is a bit much.. In terms of updates, I could see if this was something like the Kessil AP700 that was stillborn for nearly a year before getting any firmware updates to fix some rather glaring operational bugs, but I believe there’s already been half a dozen updates done to improve stability and functionality. This is not the age of one and done electronics, failure to be able to update equipment with microprocessors is seen as a rather large negative now because even the largest development studios on the planet do not get software 100% correct on initial implementation.

There are also issues in general with goods from Germany and it’s not just with our hobby. Containers aren't on time and the landscape in general is seeing some churn with major shipping lines cutting back on capacity due to the business climate given there is still a disruptive global pandemic occurring. Even if one wanted to instead air freight everything, air cargo lines are swamped by everyone else trying to do so, along with the passenger plane traffic falling off a cliff which also moved a decent bit of cargo per flight.

The only thing one can do is have patience, which should be a trait anyone in this hobby already has. The company is not going under, the lights will eventually be in stock.

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought maybe ATI will be the next time I try an LED fixture again, then I read about WiFi, software updates, parts shortages and I feel its just another industry game

give us an LED that works with some pre programmed settings, let us set our own spectrum if we want. Make it simple To use, it’s a light, not a space rocket. It shouldn’t need constant updates and tweaking or upselling.

That is why I have stuck with hydra because they are plug and play. If your not a tec savy person this light might be a problem

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Received the lights when they first came out. Used one of the "pre programmed settings" ever since. The only issue I have had is trying to catch up with the increased demand for Alk and Ca because of the increased coral growth. They took about 15 minutes to set up, have required no updates or tweaks. Even my wife has taken notice of the increase in coloration. Am normally a skeptic of the typical "hype" when a new light comes out. Bought these because the fit the three 24 x 24 sections of my new 180. Consider them, along with my Life Reef sump and skimmer, as the best purchases I have made in my 40 years in the hobby.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I have stuck with hydra because they are plug and play. If your not a tec savy person this light might be a problem
I agree that AI has the best light software UI and the firmware updates are clean. However, as @OLDREEFER44 said, if you just select a preset and go, this user interface is easier than Radion and Red Sea lighting programs. I wanted something a little custom so it took me an hour or so to figure that out. It is not really harder to figure out, just different. Once I had the first one programmed, the next two took 5 minutes to update firmware and copy over the file.

Yes, the Germans over engineer everything. You could literally program this thing to have moving rainbows cross the tank front/back and side to side. If you are into that sort of thing.

I just hope the hardware holds up a lot better than my Hydras. I am sick of having to keep so many spares around.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Reefer has me intrigued

is this an SPS tank? Are we comparing the new color Results to Prior use of LED, T5, MH?

Im all for German engineering, I think it’s some
Of the best in the aquarium industry.

id love to get back on LEDs, last good ones I used were Mitras LX7’s

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Old Reefer and @Scott B. said I use LPS and SPS pre settings and what these lights have done to the color of my coral is nothing but outstanding. You can make it as complicated as you want and that I would consider a feature for people who like to fiddle

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Version 1 of the DIY mounting rail is complete. Also affixed the transformers to an Azak board. I hope to be able to screw that board into a chair rail on the wall behind the tank.

Unfortunately I discovered that 2 of the 3 hanging kits were missing the wire pinch thingy. Was hoping to hang these tomorrow while my son is here. Another scramble ensues.

Attachments

• IMG-4960.jpg
    IMG-4960.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 129

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is this an SPS tank? Are we comparing the new color Results to Prior use of LED, T5, MH?

id love to get back on LEDs, last good ones I used were Mitras LX7’s

id love to get back on LEDs, last good ones I used were Mitras LX7
Mixed reef but largely SPS. Had Orphek Atlantiks which I really liked but would have had shadowing from braces. Prior to that I had MH/T5. I felt that growth was pretty equal when moving to the Orpheks from the MH but colors were improved. Was not prepared for the growth once I went to the Stratons. Started out dosing All for Reef at the recommended rate. So far am having to supplement an extra 80ml of Alk and 90ml of Ca per day using ESV 2 part. This is using the SPS preset. I would describe the color difference as being "crisper" and far more fluorescent. Have them 10 inches about the water level.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef but largely SPS. Had Orphek Atlantiks which I really liked but would have had shadowing from braces. Prior to that I had MH/T5. I felt that growth was pretty equal when moving to the Orpheks from the MH but colors were improved. Was not prepared for the growth once I went to the Stratons. Started out dosing All for Reef at the recommended rate. So far am having to supplement an extra 80ml of Alk and 90ml of Ca per day using ESV 2 part. This is using the SPS preset. I would describe the color difference as being "crisper" and far more fluorescent. Have them 10 inches about the water level.
You don’t find the sps plakativ too yellow? I find it is too yellow for my taste and I love radium 20k colour (probably mixed lps/ maps setting is closest?)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back