ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just picked up 2 a360x’s to use along with my stratons on my new build, not really for par or fill light just shimmer. The last time I used a Kessil was for a 20 gallon tank so I can’t speak to how they would work. Looks like the 500’s would work along with them. I temp mounted the Kessil’s and the Stratons really mute the shimmer
You sure don't want Kessil A500X's WITH Stratons.

The A500X is about 8 times more powerful than the 360. It's just too much unless you want to turn them way down.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The A500X is about 8 times more powerful than the 360. It's just too much unless you want to turn them way down.

Sorry, that was in response to @Shankybrar who is building a very large tank

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for sharing these pics - stunning corals. Your tank looks quite mature (lots of coralline). How old is it? Thanks for sharing your ATI Stratton light schedule - much appreciated. Your various color nodes - are those using different pre-defined color settings that ATI included or are all of your color settings custom? Once again - congrats on the growth of your corals!

The tank was a year old this May but used all from the ocean live rocks for 90% of it and all of the pest to lol

I converted it from a mixed reef to sps dominated about 2 months ago, sold off 30 pieces of LPS and added 30 more frags. Once I could crank all 4 lights and flow the sps really took off.

It’s one of the presets for the whole schedule, I change the yellow nodes out to deep sea 3 for all the main schedule but 2

This tank will be coming to an end this year depending on when the new one shows

Last edited:

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got two Stratons and am setting up curves and settings. Question on master/slave pairing: is it possible to group the two lights while also connected to my home wifi network? It seems that the pairing is only possible in Access Point mode. Sorry if this was answered elsewhere on the thread - I skimmed through it but didn't see anything.
I got mine too work this way by first adding one to the other in access point mode. Then holding the reset just until it flashed (like 3 seconds). This just rest the network but not the passwords and other programming. I then added both to the network. I can access both lights now but connecting to either IP.

Initially I added the lights to my home network but it would only show one lamp regardless which ip I connected to. I could not access the other lamp. The only way I found to get out of this was to do a full rest, holding the reset untill 30 seconds after it stopped flashing (about a minute total). Then seeing up as discovered above.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 a360x’s to use along with my stratons on my new build, not really for par or fill light just shimmer. The last time I used a Kessil was for a 20 gallon tank so I can’t speak to how they would work. Looks like the 500’s would work along with them. I temp mounted the Kessil’s and the Stratons really mute the shimmer
I would love to see a video of the straton+kessil combo (under a whiter spectrum if possible) on your reef as this is exactly what I am planning for my upcoming 7'x4' build! This tank featured on reefbuilders looks incredible with a plethora of kessils combined with a blanket of T5s. Hoping to achieve the same/similar look with the stratons+kessils.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a video of the straton+kessil combo (under a whiter spectrum if possible) on your reef as this is exactly what I am planning for my upcoming 7'x4' build! This tank featured on reefbuilders looks incredible with a plethora of kessils combined with a blanket of T5s. Hoping to achieve the same/similar look with the stratons+kessils.

I guess great minds think a like ;-)

I just purchased 2 for now to get an idea if I even like the look and to play with along with testing the par. I will either go with 3 or 6 Kessil’s along with my 4 Stratons on my next build. Will be kind of a waste of money as I’m sure it will provide some fill light but the Stratons are their for the heavy lifting with the new tank being 9 inches wider and 4 inches taller.

Unfortunately it will be closer to late October to early November until you will get to see it, that’s when the custom tank and sump will be done.

Last edited:

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed another cool feature last night. When doing a water change I wanted to do some top-down coral-gazing and photography. Well, since it is super easy to shut off the individual segments of the lights (front/middle/back) while leaving the others on. It is possible to get great views and pics without a lot of reflection from the LEDs.

Bonus!

(sorry, pic quality not amazing, I need one of those top-down camera tubes)

IMG_4392.jpg
Love the pic - wow. So how do you turn off individual segments on the stratons?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the pic - wow. So how do you turn off individual segments on the stratons?

You just click the segment on the bottom of the schedule page. So on my schedule above if you clicked front on the bottom it turns all the fronts off

The purple, blue, and yellow

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 stratons above my tank for allmost 3 months, 100% coverage and I LOVE them!
Evenly spread light and in my eyes no disco at all.
Tank is 200x80x70

IMG_20200923_180702_085.jpg

IMG_20201113_171602_983.jpg

Grtz,
Matthijs
Stunning tank with amazing coral growth. would you mind sharing your light configuration? Are you running a custom light configuration or one of the presets? Congrats on such a great tank!

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nornicle,

I mounted them on the ceiling like a regular hanging kit fixture.
In the beginning I used the lps/sps acclimatisation mode at 65%, after couple of weeks I changed my setting to sps at 85% and now I am using custom settings from an LFS who is testing them for at least one year, in the morning a blueish spectrum and around 12pm a whiter sps spectrum with a peak at 3pm of 90%.
Don't worry it would be too much, I never bleached or stressed a single coral as the light is very diffused and even spread, comparable to a t5 with a bit more shimmer and color popping.

Grtz,
Matthijs
Are you still pleased with your custom settings? willing to share the custom light configuration settings? Got any pics?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Honest question... How is the A500x 8 times more powerful when it's only double the wattage?

Even BRS numbers didn't show this

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Honest question... How is the A500x 8 times more powerful when it's only double the wattage?

Even BRS numbers didn't show this
BRS numbers are WAY off. I have one new in the box sitting right beside me and I have ran Kessil since they released to the public in 2011-2012.

Whrn you pack 100 LEDs in that little space, it becomes a lazer beam. I had mine set on 60% 23 inches above an acropora frag, it was 8 inches under the water. It absolutely fried it within days.

I also have the latest Apogee 510 PAR meter and I can tell you first hand, those numbers of BRS are way, way off.

I ran 360s in 2013 on mixed tank with SPS, LPS and softie colonies. It was always struggling to light a 60 cube, just like BRS uses. They even used my video when they first started looking into the Kessils. They saw my cube and was interested.

I like BRS and have spent about 8k with them in the last 2 months. I stand by that the numbers are way off. The A500x is a seriously powerful light made to penetrate DEEP.

8 times more powerful, maybe an exaggerated figure by me, but it isn't far off.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS numbers are WAY off. I have one new in the box sitting right beside me and I have ran Kessil since they released to the public in 2011-2012.

Whrn you pack 100 LEDs in that little space, it becomes a lazer beam. I had mine set on 60% 23 inches above an acropora frag, it was 8 inches under the water. It absolutely fried it within days.

I also have the latest Apogee 510 PAR meter and I can tell you first hand, those numbers of BRS are way, way off.

I ran 360s in 2013 on mixed tank with SPS, LPS and softie colonies. It was always struggling to light a 60 cube, just like BRS uses. They even used my video when they first started looking into the Kessils. They saw my cube and was interested.

I like BRS and have spent about 8k with them in the last 2 months. I stand by that the numbers are way off. The A500x is a seriously powerful light made to penetrate DEEP.

8 times more powerful, maybe an exaggerated figure by me, but it isn't far off.

It's only double the wattage of the 360. At best PAR would double and that assumes no loss with heat, which there is.

I saw the 500s over tanks at BRS while there. If the 360 puts out 200 PAR, you're saying the 500 is 1600 PAR and that's impossible with current tech from Kessil. They didn't have a massive leap in tech advancement between the two units.

Even Jake Adams didn't get numbers you're claiming. I don't think both BRS and Jake are going to lie that much about the PAR numbers from the 500

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's only double the wattage of the 360. At best PAR would double and that assumes no loss with heat, which there is.

I saw the 500s over tanks at BRS while there. If the 360 puts out 200 PAR, you're saying the 500 is 1600 PAR and that's impossible with current tech from Kessil. They didn't have a massive leap in tech advancement between the two units.

Even Jake Adams didn't get numbers you're claiming. I don't think both BRS and Jake are going to lie that much about the PAR numbers from the 500
You might want to look at my posts and see the numbers I received. Again, no one said it was 1600 PAR. As a matter of fact, it pegged the PAR meter right under the Fixture and that's over 3k or 4k.

If you have one, test it yourself and comment. If you don't, then go buy one and an Apogee 510 PAR Meter for yourself and test it.

BRS received one set of numbers, I received another set. My numbers were more in line with what Mark received at Saltwateraquarium.com

The Kessil 360x is a great light, but it isn't in the same league as the A500x.

Then again, NONE of them are in the same league as the ATI Straton. So we're all content.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might want to look at my posts and see the numbers I received. Again, no one said it was 1600 PAR. As a matter of fact, it pegged the PAR meter right under the Fixture and that's over 3k or 4k.

If you have one, test it yourself and comment. If you don't, then go buy one and an Apogee 510 PAR Meter for yourself and test it.

BRS received one set of numbers, I received another set. My numbers were more in line with what Mark received at Saltwateraquarium.com

The Kessil 360x is a great light, but it isn't in the same league as the A500x.

Then again, NONE of them are in the same league as the ATI Straton. So we're all content.

I was going off your "8 times more powerful" comment. I simply stated that number isn't accurate. Not in the least and your numbers even prove that.

It's pointless to debate it though. The facts are facts and the A500X can only be roughly double the PAR as the 360X, assuming identical setups and all that. The 360 and 500 use the same LEDs. Just different amounts of them. When you start adding in the reflectors, you add a whole host of variables.

It's like getting a Straton and doubling the power out of the LEDs. Would it be "8 times more powerful" in that case? Nope. It would roughly double the PAR minus the loss in efficiency and heat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back