ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 do you mean the flat top of the fixture itself? it has 4 tiny holes in which live one-way cable pinch connections. So cable goes in and wont come out unless you depress the little barb sticking up. Very slick.

1602041048537.png

Honestly, if I was going to attach these directly to 80/20 I would 3D print a bracket or otherwise fabricate one.

@xabo min height above water is 6" and you just get more spread (but less par and more light spill) the higher you go above that. I think mine are at 10" now.
So you can remove the suspension wire completely and have the fixture "bare", so to speak?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. Looks like a pair of these would be way too big for my 75g sps tank in terms of overhang.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef-Engineer These lights look awesome! Amazingly insightful and well thought out review! One thing I am questioning now is if 2 or 3 would be sufficient for a 72" tank. If coverage is 30x30, then 2 would leave you with a 6 inch 'coverage gap' on each end. You'd still get par there no doubt but just wondering taking that into consideration what you'd think at this point? My tank also has 3 'segments' I'll call them separated by glass bracing. So 2 would slightly worry me but it would be 1k cheaper lol

One other question - maybe I misinterpreted above - but was it stated the 3 light sections are Front, Middle, Back (with the power cord coming from the back of the fixture? If so, this is the only negative I can draw from your conclusions for people with peninsula tanks. A left, middle, right setup makes more sense to me to allow for better blending between each light but this is specific to my setup so many may not share this as a true negative.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef-Engineer These lights look awesome! Amazingly insightful and well thought out review! One thing I am questioning now is if 2 or 3 would be sufficient for a 72" tank. If coverage is 30x30, then 2 would leave you with a 6 inch 'coverage gap' on each end. You'd still get par there no doubt but just wondering taking that into consideration what you'd think at this point? My tank also has 3 'segments' I'll call them separated by glass bracing. So 2 would slightly worry me but it would be 1k cheaper lol

One other question - maybe I misinterpreted above - but was it stated the 3 light sections are Front, Middle, Back (with the power cord coming from the back of the fixture? If so, this is the only negative I can draw from your conclusions for people with peninsula tanks. A left, middle, right setup makes more sense to me to allow for better blending between each light but this is specific to my setup so many may not share this as a true negative.
Hi Owl! I think that you would be fine with two especially if you hang them a bit higher, and dont put super light hungry critters right against the sides.

With a peninsula I think id run the lights with the fronts facing the end of the peninsula, and then not group the segments. If you had two units this would allow you to have 1,2,3,4,5,6 segments from one end of the tank to the other, and you could do really cool sunrise/sunset effects.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a similar setup so went with 3 for the reasons you state. Should have them up and running next week.

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like one of these would work well over a 3ft x 3ft 150 cube. I wanted the lights higher off the tank anyway. Would possibly supplement with t5 around the unit. Would a custom 40x40 tank be too big? Again moslty open tank with a decent amount of open sand and lps on the sand.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it looks like one of these would work well over a 3ft x 3ft 150 cube. I wanted the lights higher off the tank anyway. Would possibly supplement with t5 around the unit. Would a custom 40x40 tank be too big? Again moslty open tank with a decent amount of open sand and lps on the sand.
I have a 36x36 cube tank as well and have a Straton coming soon. I will definitely update this thread.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh if you mount the light high up i think itd be fine with 1

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, it's all mounted but I can't seem to connect with the wifi. Any ideas? I have it hooked it up to an ethernet cable and hard ward wired directly to my wifi. Also, at start up, the light turns on for 1-2 seconds and then turns off. I assume it is waiting for a wifi connection to turn back on?

Last edited:

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, it's all mounted but I can't seem to connect with the wifi. Any ideas? I have it hooked it up to an ethernet cable and hard ward wired directly to my wifi. Also, at start up, the light turns on for 1-2 seconds and then turns off. I assume it is waiting for a wifi connection to turn back on?
Disconnect it from the hard wire. Connect to the wlan it creates (on your device search for the ati wifi access point, it won't have internet access). Go into settings once you log in and change it to wifi and connect to your wifi network then switch your device back to your wifi. You'll need to know the ip of name of it in order to connect.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super frustrating! I performed a reset, I did it with the ethernet cable, without ethernet cable, and nothing.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Disconnect it from the hard wire. Connect to the wlan it creates (on your device search for the ati wifi access point, it won't have internet access). Go into settings once you log in and change it to wifi and connect to your wifi network then switch your device back to your wifi. You'll need to know the ip of name of it in order to connect.

Ok, finally in! However, the light is still off lol. Any ideas? Thank you.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - if you look at the light intensity/color profile at the current time of day, it's probably at 0 for this time of day. Put it to 100% and the light will come one.
I'm not sure what I did but I have just the front bank of lights on. I clicked on a preset color and can't figure out why the other 2 banks of lights aren't on. At least I'm making progress! Thanks again.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure what I did but I have just the front bank of lights on. I clicked on a preset color and can't figure out why the other 2 banks of lights aren't on. At least I'm making progress! Thanks again.
You can select a preset like sps, then run the preview, it'll run the full cycle.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OMG it's working! LOL I think I need a degree in coding to understand this. Thank you so much Biff! Now, I hope I can program this thing!

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OMG it's working! LOL I think I need a degree in coding to understand this. Thank you so much Biff! Now, I hope I can program this thing!
I think the best bet is to make sure your time zone is set right, then just use one of the pre-defined settings and adjust to your time window of when you want the tank lit, I think you'll be fine

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back