ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to thank Reef-Engineer for all his help. If it wasn't for him, this thing would either be going back or being sold at a discount, lol! He called me and walked me through the wifi connection and programming. I can't say enough good things about what Dan did for me tonight. Please remember that dinner is on me if you're ever in the Monterey area! Also, I'd like to thank Biff for getting me started. You guys rock!!

Last edited:

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh if you mount the light high up i think itd be fine with 1

I have an old brick planter in the house I bought last year. The sky light was taken out and I was going to use the brick planter as the stand cover. Now I'm debating taking it out and Just building a stand which will allow me to bump the size up to about 40x40. My wife doesn't want to see the lights and I'll want space to work in the tank. I had planned on attaching a canopy to the ceiling that would give me 16 to 24 inch space above the tank. I figure with a mixed reef I could keep my sps in the center and everything else on the outer portion of the tank.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it's all mounted but I can't seem to connect with the wifi. Any ideas? I have it hooked it up to an ethernet cable and hard ward wired directly to my wifi. Also, at start up, the light turns on for 1-2 seconds and then turns off. I assume it is waiting for a wifi connection to turn back on?

If you wish to use ethernet cable you can do so by connecting it directly to your computer: Light > ethernet cable > computer. Leave your router out of it completely.

Disconnect it from the hard wire. Connect to the wlan it creates (on your device search for the ati wifi access point, it won't have internet access). Go into settings once you log in and change it to wifi and connect to your wifi network then switch your device back to your wifi. You'll need to know the ip of name of it in order to connect.

If you change the name of the device (or remember it) you don't have to know the IP address you can enter your light name. For example, if I was to change my light name to MyNewStraton I would use:
Http://MyNewStraton
The Http:// is required to do this method.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yall, here is the scoop. Reminder, the instructions that come with the unit are super helpful.

1. The light comes with a time zone in its mind, but it is likely wrong for you and will need to be set under "settings". But it may cause your light, when first plugged in to stay on, not stay on, just run some of its segments, whatever. YOUR LIGHT IS NOT BROKEN, it is just at an odd spot in it's factory programmed lighting schedule. So no panic!

2. When you get the light, it puts out it's own Wifi network.
  • Log on to that, it will be "Straton - abunchofnumbers"
  • Open a browser and type in 192.168.100.1
  • Cruise over to "Settings" which is along the top row of buttons
    • set the time zone for the fixture, the Straton will reset, so log in again with above process
  • Then you can do one of two things:
    • You can just log into the stratons wifi network anytime you want to change things OR
    • You can teach the Straton your wireless network info and it will join your network.
      • You go into settings, click the BLUE "WIFI" button, change the unit from "Access Point" to "Client" and then teach it your home network name, and your home network password (make sure you get these right).
      • When you finish, the unit will restart and log onto your home network.
      • Now you need to find it on your home network, I did this by logging into my home router (192.168.1.1, you can usually find your username/password on the back of your router). Once logged in, go to "connected devices" and find the Straton and it will show the new IP address you will use to access the unit.
      • Once you know the IP of one of the units, you can program all of them when logged into the one (if they are all on your network).
ATI did a good job on the instructions though, read those suckers.

Kane Gaskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wish to use ethernet cable you can do so by connecting it directly to your computer: Light > ethernet cable > computer. Leave your router out of it completely.

If you change the name of the device (or remember it) you don't have to know the IP address you can enter your light name. For example, if I was to change my light name to MyNewStraton I would use:
Http://MyNewStraton
The Http:// is required to do this method.
I just got 3 of these and I love them already!!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the 4 lights, just not a fan of the hanging option being front to back, and having no way to hard mount them. Hanging cables are to short, more than likely will end up returning the 4 of them as the beams across my ceiling interfere.

B052177B-231D-4704-A204-41E5CF0287A9.jpeg EDC920E0-8B30-424D-BA6D-FF44071E9466.jpeg AF87F8EF-E2E7-4F5F-A72D-7104C8BC6A32.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the 4 lights, just not a fan of the hanging option being front to back, and having no way to hard mount them. Hanging cables are to short, more than likely will end up returning the 4 of them as the beams across my ceiling interfere.

B052177B-231D-4704-A204-41E5CF0287A9.jpeg EDC920E0-8B30-424D-BA6D-FF44071E9466.jpeg AF87F8EF-E2E7-4F5F-A72D-7104C8BC6A32.jpeg

Somebody around here has to have fabricated some 8020 extrusion solution for these. Or they will quite soon. Anyone?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody around here has to have fabricated some 8020 extrusion solution for these. Or they will quite soon. Anyone?

I have an 8’ ecotech rail but the cable will come off the the side making the lights not sit even, you would need to build and hang a square frame for these. Over all a poor design choice to not have a hard mount option and to also put the mounting points so close to the middle

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8’ ecotech rail but the cable will come off the the side making the lights not sit even, you would need to build and hang a square frame for these. Over all a poor design choice to not have a hard mount option and to also put the mounting points so close to the middle

My understanding is in Germany having a "tank mount" changes the light from a regular luminaire into an aquarium light. Aquarium lights have to have water proofing and meet all kinds of additional criteria. As such, ATI Germany has no interest in creating tank mounts of any kind. As others have mentioned there are a number of 3rd party solutions that would likely look excellent.

The cables front and back prevent the power cable from tilting the light. If the cables were left and right and the power cable came out the back it would be nearly impossible to get them all to sit flat and level. This way you have complete control.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I returned two for the exact same reason

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is in Germany having a "tank mount" changes the light from a regular luminaire into an aquarium light. Aquarium lights have to have water proofing and meet all kinds of additional criteria. As such, ATI Germany has no interest in creating tank mounts of any kind. As others have mentioned there are a number of 3rd party solutions that would likely look excellent.

The cables front and back prevent the power cable from tilting the light. If the cables were left and right and the power cable came out the back it would be nearly impossible to get them all to sit flat and level. This way you have complete control.

Third party? Show me a third party mounting option please that works on an 8’ rimless tank. My bigger issue is how the mounting point is so short and in the middle, the mounting points should be wider. Good luck on getting these level right to left if you want the Hanging cables to meet back to a middle point. Either way these are going back, very disappointed that I never get a chance to try these lights. ATI and Coralcare have missed the opportunity in the US market by giving only 1 mounting option.

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im seriously considering these lights for a 72x36x24. I’m certain I could use eztube to make a light rack. I’ve done the same for large MHs in the past and think it would work equally as well for these lights.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third party? Show me a third party mounting option please that works on an 8’ rimless tank. My bigger issue is how the mounting point is so short and in the middle, the mounting points should be wider. Good luck on getting these level right to left if you want the Hanging cables to meet back to a middle point. Either way these are going back, very disappointed that I never get a chance to try these lights. ATI and Coralcare have missed the opportunity in the US market by giving only 1 mounting option.

Ecotech Marine RMS Rail and double arm kit. Comes in 90.5".

While the yoke has fixed locations if one desires they can adjust the length with a purchased cable. The attachments to the fixture are Grip Lock so they can be removed and exchanged if one wishes. You could even hang it with 4 wires each light if you wanted, or switch them to go up and over the length of the fixture and attach on the back side, thereby going over a rail of some kind down the middle of the tank.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I don't agree with the power cable statement - this is only true because the cable is not flexible. If it was (un)attachable you could have more mounting options. Additionally, the fixed front-to-back lighting pattern could be controlled via software to allow for this flexibility.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech Marine RMS Rail and double arm kit. Comes in 90.5".

While the yoke has fixed locations if one desires they can adjust the length with a purchased cable. The attachments to the fixture are Grip Lock so they can be removed and exchanged if one wishes. You could even hang it with 4 wires each light if you wanted, or switch them to go up and over the length of the fixture and attach on the back side, thereby going over a rail of some kind down the middle of the tank.

Thanks, switch the cables around and running the two the length may work. Seems the hanging cable is the same size so I could just use that.

BTW the ecotech option over an 8’ tank using an RMS amount is a no go, they can’t even support 5 XR30’s without bending inches in the middle.

Back