ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to get into a long discussion, but it has to do with light spectrum mixing. T5s and Halide ignite and mix immediately and then are reflected into the tank.

LED is each individual led separated and cannot mix. Companies use diffusers to try to mix and spread the light to help this. It does help, but not enough in my opinion.

Radions, up until the Gen 4, used pucks that had some leds in them and were under reflectors. These worked fairly well. Now, all leds are packed along with each other and it loses the blending.

Illumagic Blaze fixture is one of the best I've seen at laying out LEDs like I believe they should be.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get into a long discussion, but it has to do with light spectrum mixing. T5s and Halide ignite and mix immediately and then are reflected into the tank.

LED is each individual led separated and cannot mix. Companies use diffusers to try to mix and spread the light to help this. It does help, but not enough in my opinion.

Radions, up until the Gen 4, used pucks that had some leds in them and were under reflectors. These worked fairly well. Now, all leds are packed along with each other and it loses the blending.

Illumagic Blaze fixture is one of the best I've seen at laying out LEDs like I believe they should be.
Ahhh, ok…so if I’m understand you’re saying reflectors help LEDs mix better than a diffuser. So the Straton Pro might have the same LEDs and roughly same spectrum, but the light mix is likely to be better because it uses deflectors

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ahhh, ok…so if I’m understand you’re saying reflectors help LEDs mix better than a diffuser. So the Straton Pro might have the same LEDs and roughly same spectrum, but the light mix is likely to be better because it uses deflectors
Well said, yes, and will most likely penetrate deeper.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you help me understand why reflectors are better for LEDs?
First they aren't always better.
A long time ago I had inquired with one of the LED lens manuf. Believe it was Ledil but I can't be 100% positive. (old memory)
Their recommendation on type of optic depended on the beam angle.
The bottom line was reflectors performed better in the 90degree-ish range.

For aquariums (start of my own reasons) good TIR optics are err too good.
You often need the "randomization" for better blending especially with single diode/single lens arrays.
Second the glare is reduced for people sitting in general.

full-control-with-lenses-vs-partial-control-with-reflectors.jpg

reflector.JPG

Last edited:

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First they aren't always better.
A long time ago I had equired with one of the LED lens manuf. Believe it was Ledil but I can't be 100% positive. (old memory)
Their recommendation on type of optic depended on the beam angle.
The bottom line was reflectors performed better in the 90degree-ish range.

For aquariums (start of my own reasons) good TIR optics are err too good.
You often need the "randomization" for better blending especially with single diode/single lens arrays.
Second the glare is reduced for people sitting in general.

full-control-with-lenses-vs-partial-control-with-reflectors.jpg

reflector.JPG
You always have the graphs and info handy! . Great info as always.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My google-fu has failed and I can't find the diode count and nm for the Straton Pro.
Orig Didn't have white k temp and red from the graph above:
straton1.JPG

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They even not have real UV an moonlight inside for the price?!!That is deceptive.
The reflectors are good for reduce the glare, yes that is true.For better blending and color mixing I'm not sure in the straton as each led has his reflector that is not same halides at all. A big reflector for many leds would be probably better. I really doubt about the color mixing of the new straton as they themself say to hang the led higher for better mixing of colors,that is a concern for me and when I ask about this they were very evasif..

Last edited:

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They even not have real UV an moonlight inside for the price?!!That is deceptive.
The reflectors are good for reduce the glare, yes that is true.For better blending and color mixing I'm not sure in the straton as each led has his reflector that is not same halides at all. A big reflector for many leds would be probably better. I really doubt about the color mixing of the new straton as they themself say to hang the led higher for better mixing of colors,that is a concern for me and when I ask about this they were very evasif..
Which LED do you know of that has true UV+

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Orphek and reefi uno
Those aren't UV spectrum. That's Violet. 365nm is true UV. There is 1 fixture that uses true UV. This one:

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea reef led, kessil, the new radion, maxspect also have uv, uv is under 385.
But I see the test posted here was not the pro but the old one

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have the original stratons been discontinued? see the listing on BRS

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 4.57.12 PM.png

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Germany is no longer making the regular Straton however it is still available at various retailers.
ATI Germany is currently only making the Straton Pro for the European market since they cannot make enough to supply us here in North America.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Germany is no longer making the regular Straton however it is still available at various retailers.
ATI Germany is currently only making the Straton Pro for the European market since they cannot make enough to supply us here in North America.
So glad I got my original Stratons when I did.

Here’s to hoping the Pro version makes its way stateside before I need new lights!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, I’m going to stock up, especially since IME the “pro” is a downgrade from the original.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the energy prices and what that’s done to aluminum, etc over there…

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tip, I’m going to stock up, especially since IME the “pro” is a downgrade from the original.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the energy prices and what that’s done to aluminum, etc over there…
Why is the pro version a downgrade?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back