ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen it? It’s completely different (shape, design) and doesn’t feature diffusers. IMO it’s a step backwards on design, aesthetics, and light dispersal. If it is modular, that’s interesting, but for me doesn’t make up for the lack of diffuser and aesthetic changes. But aesthetics are extremely important to me, while they aren’t to everyone.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imo. the changes/upgrades make the pro more desirable. They have gone to individual reflectors which is a huge plus as it eliminates glare pushing all the light into the tank and adds more shimmer..........more diodes up to 204 & a larger panel footprint for more coverage.

They are going to destroy the competition with three different sized units for any type of aquarium footprint.

If you can replace broken/worn out PCB panels it will be another huge plus.

Last edited:

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points. I wouldn’t use it because of the aesthetics, but it’s still definitely going to be a great light. Hopefully it makes it out of the EU!

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pro will likely be better, but it doesn't look as nice. I might try and pick up a used 1st gen for that time I upgrade to a 6' tank and my 2 aren't enough.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pro have a bit better temperature dispersion, less side glare which is good ,are a little bit stronger because of the lenses, spectrum is quasi identically (maybe the old one is better as with the diffuser there is more reflection from the sand and glass like T5 so coral get light from more angles?). So a little bit better but way more expensive, this small difference is not worth the much higher price! And the price will not drop, but increase. I spoke very recently with someone from ATI, they even think to make them more expensive.. They are also no plans for now to sell them via distributors .
The only good news is here now you can get the first model for very cheap, just bought 4 news for a very good price.I will see if they are as good people says. But no way I go to spend so much money for the new model, as long people jump on the new model and are even ready to pay more than the actual price, the prices will not drop.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pro have a bit better temperature dispersion, less side glare which is good ,are a little bit stronger because of the lenses, spectrum is quasi identically (maybe the old one is better as with the diffuser there is more reflection from the sand and glass like T5 so coral get light from more angles?). So a little bit better but way more expensive, this small difference is not worth the much higher price! And the price will not drop, but increase. I spoke very recently with someone from ATI, they even think to make them more expensive.. They are also no plans for now to sell them via distributors .
The only good news is here now you can get the first model for very cheap, just bought 4 news for a very good price.I will see if they are as good people says. But no way I go to spend so much money for the new model, as long people jump on the new model and are even ready to pay more than the actual price, the prices will not drop.
Where did you purchase yours gen 1s?

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points. I wouldn’t use it because of the aesthetics, but it’s still definitely going to be a great light. Hopefully it makes it out of the EU!
I don't get it. Aren't the aesthetics the same? Same flat design but more rectangular as opposed to a square?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it. Aren't the aesthetics the same? Same flat design but more rectangular as opposed to a square?
No, still flat, but all white plastic with rounded edges. looks like a kids tablet vs gen one which had flat edges with stainless steel looking edge almost like a giant ipad.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
Would people be able to share pictures of how they've mounted their Stratons please (not hanging from the ceiling!)
I'll be going back through the thread but it's going to take time to negotiate the 60+ pages
Thanks in advance
Josh

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, still flat, but all white plastic with rounded edges. looks like a kids tablet vs gen one which had flat edges with stainless steel looking edge almost like a giant ipad.
Oh wow. good to know. I got the gen1 with the plan to upgrade it to the pro since I felt like the square gen1 wasn't enough for my 4' x 3' tank. Maybe I will just keep it then.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. good to know. I got the gen1 with the plan to upgrade it to the pro since I felt like the square gen1 wasn't enough for my 4' x 3' tank. Maybe I will just keep it then.
I love them, but I wish they made modular Gen 1s. I would love a single row LED panel that looks like the straton. I think 2 over a 5' SPS tank is pushing it but 3 would be over kill.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could get 4 fixtures for a very good price ,so I decided to try they them.
I like white lights with pop same halides before + blue t5,the straton are very white but they really lack of pop,no matter which settings I choose it seems ugly compared to my previous reef led + day and blue led bars or the radion . No shimmer also,I will probably add the reef led and the bars to make it look nicer.
Which settings are you using?
The spread seems good, but I think my par meter may have a problem as the lights are mounted 30 cm(12 inch) from the water level and on top of the aquarium I barely get 230 par at 100% and 130 in the middle, is that possible? How much par you get at comparative high?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like white lights with pop same halides before + blue t5,the straton are very white but they really lack of pop,no matter which settings I choose it seems ugly compared to my previous reef led + day and blue led bars or the radion . No shimmer also,I will probably add the reef led and the bars to make it look nicer.
The spread seems good, but I think my par meter may have a problem as the lights are mounted 30 cm(12 inch) from the water level and on top of the aquarium I barely get 230 par at 100% and 130 in the middle, is that possible? How much par you get at comparative high?

My settings is somewhere in this thread but there is no way that PAR is correct. On my 20" tall 210 mounted 12" I was putting down 350 PAR right down the middle with 4 Stratons I believe set at 80%. I would have to dig up my journal for PAR samples.

Edit-

Here is from my 210 testings 2 different factory settings with 4 Stratons and a Black screen top-

CoralLPS 86%LPS/SPS 75%
HW265320
Walt265302
PC Rainbow205245
Shag250270
OP220270
Purple Milli295330
Miss Piggy280320
Dragon Soul160200
OG Hammer145170
P Hammer110140
Frammer145180
CandyCane165

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mounted about 20cm I’m getting ~500 PAR about 20cm underwater where my clams are up on the rocks, and I’m driving cyan at 5% and whites at about 60%. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with your unit (or PAR meter)?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I will have to check my par meter, the light seems to be bright maybe he need to be calibrated again

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen1 are still great fixtures, but don't hold your hopes out for the pro model changing the way ATI operates in terms of the release rollout. ATI.DE doesn't really seem to care much about the non-German market, it's super evident with how dated the NA distributer page presentation is (firmware, setup) and the general lack of information they have if you inquire about something. Still waiting on those brackets, for example.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it, it’s a lot more difficult to localize for markets outside of one’s home country.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They told me that they actually no have plan for sale the pro version through reseller even in Germany. Actually, the people order through them directly, and it seems to work (so why should they share the benefits ?) .Also they think about increase the price more.. (they are already very high, too much I find..) but as electricity prices increase dramatically in Germany more people are willing to buy led that could make them electricity savings compared to t5 .

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, aluminum smelting is going offline in Germany due to the energy prices. This could cause the cost of producing Straton lights to become higher than what people will pay. Electricity savings among the various lighting types is minimal, and would take years to recoup. I would be surprised if any type of Straton light remains widely available, unfortunately. :(

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back