ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! It is 12ft. I am using the "Mixed Corals" setting. The disco ball really I only notice anyplace white, like the sand.
Ahh, I run a bare bottom tank so no white as my bottom is covered in coralline. How many gallons is your 12ft system?

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed no disco ball? I also have had 5 G5's with diffusers and the Stratons have much less than those. Interesting that we see things so different on these. I also have no sand but is gray bare bottom.
Its possible it could be a difference in mounting heights. How high do you have yours? Right now I have them 7" above the water surface. It could be the lower you mount them the more pronounced the effect.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, I run a bare bottom tank so no white as my bottom is covered in coralline. How many gallons is your 12ft system?
The system is around 480gal. Yep the only place I notice the disco is on white sand or white previously-shaded patches of new-ish aquascape. How high do you have yours mounted?

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its possible it could be a difference in mounting heights. How high do you have yours? Right now I have them 7" above the water surface. It could be the lower you mount them the more pronounced the effect.
Mine is mounted 10" from the top of the water surface. I'm sure the white sand exaggerates the disco ball effect.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 stratons in a few days ago, currently sourcing the aluminum rail to custom mount them. I have a couple hanging over my tank on rigged up temporary supports. Just a few things I have noticed:

The good:
The amount of spread and par these things have is second to none. It truly is a blanket of light. Way more even than two xr15's. I got an apogee par meter out and the spread is extremely even. EVERYWHERE looks bright and lit up under these.
The light spill is low, much lower than radions or kessils at the same height.
Zero fan noise.
They are the sexiest/slimmest looking fixture, its tempting to just go all stratons (but I won't).

The bad:
There is definitely a "disco ball" effect with the shimmer of these on white surfaces like sand. Compared to the light from kessils or radions it is much harsher. Things look better when I mix in kessils, so my plan is to sandwich one of my existing kessils in between each straton. I have a straton side-by-side with a g5 radion blue with diffuser and the light of the radion looks so much more pleasant and smooth. If I was mounting lights in a hood and aesthetics/lightspill/fannoise didn't matter I would probably go with radions. But exposed in a room I am sticking with stratons.

20201116_142034.jpg
This is the one thing I was hoping for more than anything else. I'm really sensitive to any disco effect and really appreciate smooth/well-blended light. For this reason I like g5 with diffuser and kessil. I too wanted to do kessils with stratons so I could have FULL coverage from stratons with an adjustable shimmer from the kessils. Planning a 7'x4'x2.5' reef. Based on everything else I've read I was sold on these lights. They are likely still a solid option for me, but not happy to hear that there is a noticeable difference in color separation compared to kessil/diffused G5. Most people probably won't be bothered, but I was so close to thinking this was the end all be all light for me.

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this last weekend was early christmas, my two straoton arrived...

before mounting them i took out the par meter and messured my current lighting solution
3x Radion G4 Pro
4x 39W T5
2x LED strips

39885383fg.jpeg

and here are the settings I´m using:
39885387tn.jpeg

39885386zt.jpeg

39885385yw.jpeg

39885384bw.jpeg

hung the G4 and Straton side by side so i could match the color as good as possible.
i know par and my eye aren´t perfect but it tried with what i got ;)

here is my temperature:
39885422fc.jpeg

i have to say i´m very pleased with the lights. the no fan feeling is very nice and i´ve got the feeling the tank is more evenly lit.

but i guess only time will tell how my corals like the change!

Cheers

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely, I run 4 over my 8’ but 3 would be fine. I wanted 0 shadowing
So i rented a par meter this week and im not happy with the spread of my Radion and Reefbrites over my 30x24x16. The tank is just a tad too wide and i want sps across my entire rock work. So its either a 6 bulb or 8 bulb ati Sunpower or spending the extra on the Straton. In the long run do you think the straton is the better buy?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i rented a par meter this week and im not happy with the spread of my Radion and Reefbrites over my 30x24x16. The tank is just a tad too wide and i want sps across my entire rock work. So its either a 6 bulb or 8 bulb ati Sunpower or spending the extra on the Straton. In the long run do you think the straton is the better buy?

I haven’t done T5’s in years so I would have to defer to @ReefEngineer

My wife was against the looks of T5’s hanging in our living room

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Straton’s for a few days now and still learning the programming. Is there a quick and easy way to just turn the white lights on without messing with the schedule?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 8020 with bolt on tabs. Kind of how I was figuring to hang them.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for owners, you can take off the hanger cable entirely from the fixture, correct? Ie remove the U loop attached to the fixture.

U

User1

View Badges

I was going to comment on the overall rough estimate on lighting cost but figured I'd not :) Looking at the tank size that is part of the realm one plays in with tanks that size.

I have to say that you have a lot of potential there both short and long term with fish territories. Also free swim space looks like a lot of potential. Very well done. It will look pretty amazing as it matures through the years.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a vid to get a better idea of the shimmer this combo is putting out. Its obviously adjustable as you're getting solid par/spectrum/coverage from the stratons, but I'd love to see what you ended up with! BEAUTIFUL setup btw!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back