ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally, I would say that the corals pop a little more with the Stratons. Also seem to have a more even color blend that resembles a T5 effect, probably due to the diffuser. So far the reaction of the corals is very good. Haven't lost a one and already see very good growth.
Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience. Given that these lights are so new it helpful to talk to individuals like yourself that are trailblazers with these new lights. Happy to hear that your corals are responding well. Any tips for things that I need to be careful with when buying the Straton’s? Thank you again.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience. Given that these lights are so new it helpful to talk to individuals like yourself that are trailblazers with these new lights. Happy to hear that your corals are responding well. Any tips for things that I need to be careful with when buying the Straton’s? Thank you again.
They are about as easy as it gets other than the limited mounting options.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too originally had preordered the Coral Care but switched over to the Straton. The trade off was that I will now have to settle for a separate power supply which was not the case if I had stuck with the Coral Care. But the benefits that swayed me to choose the Stratons were the much sleeker and lighter weight design. It was hard for me to get past all that weight hanging over a brand new 180 glass tank. Also the ability to have separate programs for different sections of the same unit was attractive. I had already purchased two Orphek bars to supplement the Coral Cares with extra blues so now will be interesting to see what they do along side the Straton.
have you been able to setup your new Stratons with the Orphek bars? Would love to see some pics.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going to switch from my 3 Radion G4 Pro to two Stratons and i‘m expecting some bad days for the corals...
you have to realize that changing from a spot like light source to a way more even distributed means that the coral tissue gets more light. So I’m expecting some acclimating time.

can’t wait to not hear those fans...

Cheers
Speaking of acclimating....does the new ATI Stratons offer an Acclimation setting?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years for now i plan to get a 48x24x21. I could pick up another unit at that point and still grow whatever i want, right?

Absolutely, I run 4 over my 8’ but 3 would be fine. I wanted 0 shadowing

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 stratons in a few days ago, currently sourcing the aluminum rail to custom mount them. I have a couple hanging over my tank on rigged up temporary supports. Just a few things I have noticed:

The good:
The amount of spread and par these things have is second to none. It truly is a blanket of light. Way more even than two xr15's. I got an apogee par meter out and the spread is extremely even. EVERYWHERE looks bright and lit up under these.
The light spill is low, much lower than radions or kessils at the same height.
Zero fan noise.
They are the sexiest/slimmest looking fixture, its tempting to just go all stratons (but I won't).

The bad:
There is definitely a "disco ball" effect with the shimmer of these on white surfaces like sand. Compared to the light from kessils or radions it is much harsher. Things look better when I mix in kessils, so my plan is to sandwich one of my existing kessils in between each straton. I have a straton side-by-side with a g5 radion blue with diffuser and the light of the radion looks so much more pleasant and smooth. If I was mounting lights in a hood and aesthetics/lightspill/fannoise didn't matter I would probably go with radions. But exposed in a room I am sticking with stratons.

20201116_142034.jpg

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, nice tank! How large is it? I really haven't noticed any disco ball effect. Which settings are you using? I'm using the "mixed corals high" preset on my Straton.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice tank! How large is it? I really haven't noticed any disco ball effect. Which settings are you using? I'm using the "mixed corals high" preset on my Straton.
Thanks! It is 12ft. I am using the "Mixed Corals" setting. The disco ball really I only notice anyplace white, like the sand.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 stratons in a few days ago, currently sourcing the aluminum rail to custom mount them. I have a couple hanging over my tank on rigged up temporary supports. Just a few things I have noticed:

The good:
The amount of spread and par these things have is second to none. It truly is a blanket of light. Way more even than two xr15's. I got an apogee par meter out and the spread is extremely even. EVERYWHERE looks bright and lit up under these.
The light spill is low, much lower than radions or kessils at the same height.
Zero fan noise.
They are the sexiest/slimmest looking fixture, its tempting to just go all stratons (but I won't).

The bad:
There is definitely a "disco ball" effect with the shimmer of these . Compared to the light from kessils or radions it is much harsher. Things look better when I mix in kessils, so my plan is to sandwich one of my existing kessils in between each straton. I have a straton side-by-side with a g5 radion blue with diffuser and the light of the radion looks so much more pleasant and smooth. If I was mounting lights in a hood and aesthetics/lightspill/fannoise didn't matter I would probably go with radions. But exposed in a room I am sticking with stratons.

20201116_142034.jpg

I have noticed no disco ball? I also have had 5 G5's with diffusers and the Stratons have much less than those. Interesting that we see things so different on these. I also have no sand but is gray bare bottom.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back