ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Reef-Engineer thank you so much for this thread. It is super helpful.

Right now I run the 8 X 80 watt ATI. It is a 58" fixture over a 58" SPS tank. It was an excellent upgrade over the 4 Hydras I had before. My 2-part consumption steadily and rapidly rose so I am tentative to change.

That said, I miss the LED pop, and aesthetically the Straton would be fine upgrade over the T5 battleship floating over it now.

Question: 2 fixtures or 3? Thanks again.

You could make do with 2 for sure. I use 4 to cover 8 feet of tank, but it is kind of overkill. I just reeeeeally didn't want any shadowing, and I definitely have none.

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone comment on how the light spill of the ati stratton compares to the reefi duo extreme?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant speak for the Reefi but the Stratons on my tank are mounted about 9 inches above the water level and the spill is pretty minimal. At 30 inches the spillover is about 5 inches on a 24 inch tank.

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant speak for the Reefi but the Stratons on my tank are mounted about 9 inches above the water level and the spill is pretty minimal. At 30 inches the spillover is about 5 inches on a 24 inch tank.

Maybe spill is the wrong term. The reefi is advertised at reducing the glare from the side. Im curious if you find the ati stratons as blinding like t5 and other led fixtures can be when say, sitting on the couch from across the room.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe spill is the wrong term. The reefi is advertised at reducing the glare from the side. Im curious if you find the ati stratons as blinding like t5 and other led fixtures can be when say, sitting on the couch from across the room.

I do not find them blinding at all mounted 13" over tank, wayyyyy better than radions in that regard

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diffusers soften the light substantially. Not near as much glare as other lights i have used.

Xanka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great lamp. I run two Stratons for one year.
84267065-2CDC-4890-A7D9-B77CEC2C678A.jpeg

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at straton vs 2 kessil a360x over an elos70. The dimensions are 30x22x20. How are your sps growing under the straton? How do you think the coverage and par would be on a tank my size?

Xanka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done. Not to be forward but size of the tank? Really like it and the spectrum.
size of the thank is in meters. Width: 1,4, depth 0,9, Hight 0,75

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sdot, you can control all of the different color LED groups separately, so you can create pretty much any spectrum you want. They come with a few "canned spectrums" but you can create your own as well. Here are the LEDs they contain that can be controlled individually:
1601500421746.png
that you for this graph - quite helpful. Can you control the spectrum separately between each section, i.e., front, middle and back?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any capacity for moonlight effect you can see? Curious about maybe driving just one of the channels at a very low level. How far down do they dim?
good question which made me think....does this support a lunar cycle? across all sections or can you pick the section of the light? Sorry if you answer this later on in your posts, started reading from the beginning.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh I didnt see anything for that in the program (like something that would vary an LED in strength depending on the phase of the moon).

It would be possible to just run one Straton's Back array with just a few percent of blues and that would do quite well, but it would always be the same moon (I didn't see the potential for seasonal programs).

Maybe that is somewhere for ATI to go next.
great question......were you able to get this answered from ATI?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, amazing review. I'm pretty convinced I need these, lol.

Second, it looks like your old T5 setup is hung with hanging wire from both left and right sides. The stratons are hung from front and back. Is it possible to hang them left and right?? I ask because I have a roller motor above my tank that raises and lowers my current light fixture. I'd like to keep that and hang the lights from the same roller. The roller is parallel to the tank lengthwise, if that makes sense. I'm not sure if you must mount the stratons that way because of the 3 lighting options (front to back)? If I orientate them 90* do I still get that front to back feature or would it then be left to right? Short and sweet, does orientation of the light matter?
cool! Please post pics when you get them hung and let us know your thoughts! The more data points the better
Did I read that your tank is 8' long? I have a custom tank currently being built that will be 96"L x 34"W x 26" and I'm thinking of going with four Straton's - sound about right? also are you going run ATI Straton's only or supplement with T5's?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back