ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the median duration of the hobbyist is something like 2.5 years, meaning most start and then give up after a year or two, T5 is always going to be a very attractive option for nothing more than it's simple, and the investment is relatively cheap versus the performance and coverage.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7FF0D221-1B84-4A9E-A25B-40B78929DF97.jpeg

Looks fantastic, love the floating light appearance, how are the corals responding?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fantastic, love the floating light appearance, how are the corals responding?

so for so good on the SPS, LPS are still a little ***** even though they are getting the same PAR. Nothing is bleaching or dying, just not as extended as usual. I’m also trying a whiter look than what I ran with the radions prior

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going to switch from my 3 Radion G4 Pro to two Stratons and i‘m expecting some bad days for the corals...
you have to realize that changing from a spot like light source to a way more even distributed means that the coral tissue gets more light. So I’m expecting some acclimating time.

can’t wait to not hear those fans...

Cheers

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so for so good on the SPS, LPS are still a little ***** even though they are getting the same PAR. Nothing is bleaching or dying, just not as extended as usual. I’m also trying a whiter look than what I ran with the radions prior

How do you get the lights out of the way so that you can work in the tank?

U

User1

View Badges
Given the median duration of the hobbyist is something like 2.5 years, meaning most start and then give up after a year or two, T5 is always going to be a very attractive option for nothing more than it's simple, and the investment is relatively cheap versus the performance and coverage.

Interesting thought on 2.5 years. I was looking at the various new lights and looking at ways to compare them, what it would mean, and is there anything that may be related that can be used to compare.

Honestly, nothing really stood out as they all pack different number of LED's, vary in Watts, and of course design. One thing that I did notice was lifespan or estimated hours. Again even this isn't apples to apples because I can't find reference of ATI's projected life span :( Just found the 2.5 years interesting as I was looking at years as it relates to the lifespan of the light. So then I could calculate price and how that looks over time...

ManufactureEstimated Lifespan Years (if always on)Years (12 hours/day)
Kessil a360x35,0003.97.8
Philips Coral Care Gen 225,0002.85.6
ATI StratonN/A

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought on 2.5 years. I was looking at the various new lights and looking at ways to compare them, what it would mean, and is there anything that may be related that can be used to compare.

Honestly, nothing really stood out as they all pack different number of LED's, vary in Watts, and of course design. One thing that I did notice was lifespan or estimated hours. Again even this isn't apples to apples because I can't find reference of ATI's projected life span :( Just found the 2.5 years interesting as I was looking at years as it relates to the lifespan of the light. So then I could calculate price and how that looks over time...

ManufactureEstimated LifespanYears (if always on)Years (12 hours/day)
Kessil a360x35,0003.97.8
Philips Coral Care Gen 225,0002.85.6
ATI StratonN/A

while I understand it might not be your point, my experience with two Kessil a360we’s is consistent with your schedule. My a360we’s just passed five years of about ten hours a day. They appear to have plenty of life left.

U

User1

View Badges
while I understand it might not be your point, my experience with two Kessil a360we’s is consistent with your schedule. My a360we’s just passed five years of about ten hours a day. They appear to have plenty of life left.

That is actually cool to know honestly.

I've just been toying with ideas on some form of realistic way to compare since par and watts may not be everything to a successful reef. It may not even work but it was something I thought I might be able to calculate and at least put into dollars and sense.

I'm trying to find a post or article I read on the ATI's unit because it said something along the lines of more led's but lower power for better thermal control and longevity. Basically you are running them at what is perceived as 100% power but they really are running more efficient. Maybe I misunderstood it but it made sense at the time. Then again I could have been a 2nd glass or two of wine which put me on another planet...

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually cool to know honestly.

I've just been toying with ideas on some form of realistic way to compare since par and watts may not be everything to a successful reef. It may not even work but it was something I thought I might be able to calculate and at least put into dollars and sense.

I'm trying to find a post or article I read on the ATI's unit because it said something along the lines of more led's but lower power for better thermal control and longevity. Basically you are running them at what is perceived as 100% power but they really are running more efficient. Maybe I misunderstood it but it made sense at the time. Then again I could have been a 2nd glass or two of wine which put me on another planet...

My understanding based on ATI info is that they are running 153 LEDs, all 5W LEDs, and they are being driven at about 1.5W, or 30% of their capacity. This is how they achieve the passive cooling of their lights (the LEDs are more efficient when not being driven at 100%, so not as much energy wasted as heat).

So by that logic, if you want to rank things as to what will last the longest, I would go by a few things, but one would definitely be how many watts each one of their LEDs is, and how hard they are driving them.

As I recall, the anecdote from ATI was that these would be running with minimal shift in spectrum or power after 10 years of normal use.

I'd like to know what the wattage of each LED is on the Coralcare and how hard they are being driven.

U

User1

View Badges
My understanding based on ATI info is that they are running 153 LEDs, all 5W LEDs, and they are being driven at about 1.5W, or 30% of their capacity. This is how they achieve the passive cooling of their lights (the LEDs are more efficient when not being driven at 100%, so not as much energy wasted as heat).

So by that logic, if you want to rank things as to what will last the longest, I would go by a few things, but one would definitely be how many watts each one of their LEDs is, and how hard they are driving them.

As I recall, the anecdote from ATI was that these would be running with minimal shift in spectrum or power after 10 years of normal use.

I'd like to know what the wattage of each LED is on the Coralcare and how hard they are being driven.

Your comment is also what I was referring to or having read. Somewhere anyway. I just can't find it. But yes, more LED's, lower power, better cooling, and then a by-product is not running at 100% power equating to longer life. It just makes sense the more I read it.

As with regards to Kessil and Coral Care - they have life expectancy on their respected portals and FAQ. I do not know how much power though they are applying so assuming it may be 100% due to 25,000 and 35,000 hour comment. But please do not hold me to that as I do not know.

ATI's approach makes a lot of sense to me which is why I then started to look at other things outside of PAR especially when we are talking about 900 to 1100 US dollars. It seems like a lot but when you start calculating that to the life expectancy then it doesn't look so bad. Especially if the output is the same from day one to year 10. Also I do not seeing this mentioned at all in any of the reviews, unboxing, etc. It should. That alone could change hobbyists minds.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI's approach makes a lot of sense to me which is why I then started to look at other things outside of PAR especially when we are talking about 900 to 1100 US dollars. It seems like a lot but when you start calculating that to the life expectancy then it doesn't look so bad. Especially if the output is the same from day one to year 10. Also I do not seeing this mentioned at all in any of the reviews, unboxing, etc. It should. That alone could change hobbyists minds.

haha I planned to report it in my unboxing/review but darn life keeps getting in the way of editing a video!

And I agree with you, it was a big reason I went with more of the Stratons. You don't buy a car, with plans to redline it for a few years, and hope that it will last a long time. You buy a car with capability, use the full capability rarely if ever, and it lasts a long time. I like this approach of never allowing the user to "redline" the unit. By limiting each LED to about 30% of it's potential power consumption, we are driving the car very gently, and with no moving parts due to passive cooling, I hope to own and operate these fixtures for many years.

I also noted in one of the comments from ATI that (though I haven't read more about it or seen it done) each segment of a fixture can be replaced if need be. I bet that is a factory service you would have to pay for, but it is still nice to know that if the terrible happens and some LEDs suffered a weird failure, your fixture could be saved.

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noted in one of the comments from ATI that (though I haven't read more about it or seen it done) each segment of a fixture can be replaced if need be. I bet that is a factory service you would have to pay for, but it is still nice to know that if the terrible happens and some LEDs suffered a weird failure, your fixture could be saved.

That’s true but for that they would need to be sent in.
but you’re right good to know that they can get fixed!

U

User1

View Badges
haha I planned to report it in my unboxing/review but darn life keeps getting in the way of editing a video!

Actually I owe you an apology. My unboxing comment was not directed at you. Sorry about that. I was re-reading through the thread when I saw this :) It was more a general comment in passing reading a few others.

This thread here has provided a lot of information and has a great dialog regarding questions and answers. When I see someone asking about the light or what is best or new I always point them here because I think it provides a pretty unbiased assessment.

Also getting back to the life expectancy I was thinking again on this last night. ATI is pretty much the standard for T5's I believe, right? Let us say this LED unit works as reported here an others. More data flows in about coral growth, tank maturity, reliability, etc. All important as we start from product launch through consumer use. T5 bulbs need to be replaced as do MH and others. Here we no longer need to replace bulbs...

This product very well could put their bulb to end of life by the very success of this unit :) And then the new standard becomes the LED panel. Pretty neat I think in a nerdy way.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am one of those hobbyists with a mind that would need a lot of convincing to be changed. At 1100 dollars per unit, I just don't see how this could ever come close to penciling out, compared to T5 or MH.

I have a 6 foot tank that I light with T5s. I spend roughly 120 bucks a year on bulbs. The only thing that can possibly ever go wrong with the fixture is bulbs or ballasts, and a replacement ballast costs about 40 bucks. I've replaced one of the two ballasts once in the 10 years I've had the fixture. And running 3 of these Stratons would be using about 50% more power than a 6 bulb fixture at 80 watts a piece.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am one of those hobbyists with a mind that would need a lot of convincing to be changed. At 1100 dollars per unit, I just don't see how this could ever come close to penciling out, compared to T5 or MH.

I have a 6 foot tank that I light with T5s. I spend roughly 120 bucks a year on bulbs. The only thing that can possibly ever go wrong with the fixture is bulbs or ballasts, and a replacement ballast costs about 40 bucks. I've replaced one of the two ballasts once in the 10 years I've had the fixture. And running 3 of these Stratons would be using about 50% more power than a 6 bulb fixture at 80 watts a piece.

I hear you on cost, I’m not an early adopter either. I do really enjoy the technology updates/review and discussion.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Reef-Engineer thank you so much for this thread. It is super helpful.

Right now I run the 8 X 80 watt ATI. It is a 58" fixture over a 58" SPS tank. It was an excellent upgrade over the 4 Hydras I had before. My 2-part consumption steadily and rapidly rose so I am tentative to change.

That said, I miss the LED pop, and aesthetically the Straton would be fine upgrade over the T5 battleship floating over it now.

Question: 2 fixtures or 3? Thanks again.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right now I run the 8 X 80 watt ATI. It is a 58" fixture over a 58" SPS tank. It was an excellent upgrade over the 4 Hydras I had before. My 2-part consumption steadily and rapidly rose so I am tentative to change.

That said, I miss the LED pop, and aesthetically the Straton would be fine upgrade over the T5 battleship floating over it now.

i think 2 would be plenty. I have 3 over a 72 inch and there is a lot of overlap

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“T5 battleship,” that’s hilarious!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back