ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a vid to get a better idea of the shimmer this combo is putting out. Its obviously adjustable as you're getting solid par/spectrum/coverage from the stratons, but I'd love to see what you ended up with! BEAUTIFUL setup btw!
I recently ripped out most of my sand (but temporary glass tub of it for wrasses). I also raised the lights to 8", which helped with the disco effect I was seeing. The stratons put out so much light, it decreases the overall shimmer when just the kessils are on. But adding these, it is like turning the lights on in what was previously a dark room.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ripped out most of my sand (but temporary glass tub of it for wrasses). I also raised the lights to 8", which helped with the disco effect I was seeing. The stratons put out so much light, it decreases the overall shimmer when just the kessils are on. But adding these, it is like turning the lights on in what was previously a dark room.

Looks good to me! I'm not a fan super heavy shimmer, but I do like some so this is fine by me. Also, nice to hear about the reduced disco effect. My tank will be 30" high, so it will be even further reduced in my case. Not to mention I will have a hood so there are other ways to further diffuse the light if I find it to be worth it.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60”x30”x24” high tank... do I need three Straton or will two be sufficient? I put in an order for two, as it is more economical... but it seems you could fit three.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60”x30”x24” high tank... do I need three Straton or will two be sufficient? I put in an order for two, as it is more economical... but it seems you could fit three.
2 will be fine if putting lower light coral on the ends

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
size of the thank is in meters. Width: 1,4, depth 0,9, Hight 0,75

Perfect what intensity and light mode do you use? given mine is wide 1.5/ depth 0.75/ height 0.60 I think two will be plenty for me too!

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect what intensity and light mode do you use? given mine is wide 1.5/ depth 0.75/ height 0.60 I think two will be plenty for me too!
Yolo I ordered 3 for my 60x30x24... it gives me redundancy if one fails and also gives zero shading... equivalent of t5 spread... I’ll have to dial it down a little I think.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you find them available?
Oh I’m in Australia I think we literally had three in the country as we only have one distributor who is also the retailer... ups and downsides of being in the middle of no where

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ATI Straton postings here have been an absolute wealth of information and have helped me not only order the lights (4 of them), but starting the process of installing them. I hope you don’t my if I ping you on occasion as I go through my learning pains. I do have an initial question....I ordered four lights and got them properly hung this past weekend. When I powered them-up, three of them came-on with no problems, however, the fourth light never came on properly. A small portion portion of the panel lights-up in a bluish color and nothing else. I have unplugged and re-plugged back in several times and have waited over 1 hour to see if the condition would change - but nothing. Do you think I have a bad light? How hard is it to speak with someone at ATI?

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ATI Straton postings here have been an absolute wealth of information and have helped me not only order the lights (4 of them), but starting the process of installing them. I hope you don’t my if I ping you on occasion as I go through my learning pains. I do have an initial question....I ordered four lights and got them properly hung this past weekend. When I powered them-up, three of them came-on with no problems, however, the fourth light never came on properly. A small portion portion of the panel lights-up in a bluish color and nothing else. I have unplugged and re-plugged back in several times and have waited over 1 hour to see if the condition would change - but nothing. Do you think I have a bad light? How hard is it to speak with someone at ATI?
Where'd you order them from??

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you re-sync the time/location on the light?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I hadn’t gotten that far as all the other lights powered on completely with just the one light partially coming on with a few blue lights. Is date/time the common issue for this problem?
Power them on and login into them, once you sync them with time zone they will light up. 2 of my 4 were that way

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anybody know when more of the stratons will be released?
I was considering one for a little bit there and reached out to premiumaquatics and they said not till january. Not sure if thats the same for all the others but thats what they said... i ended up with an ATI Sunpower instead...

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the coverage/PAR plots, a few important disclaimers/bits of info:

1. I am not @Bulk Reef Supply , those guys are set up WAY better to do these comparison, and I am sure that they will, but for example I had rock in the tank so couldn't take measurements in back (instead mirrored the front numbers in back, which I believe is a valid assumption)
  2. T5 Bulb Combo is Front to Back, B+, Actinic, B+, B+, P+, B+, B+, B+ (bulbs about 9 months old)
  3. Tank dimensions are 96"x30"x27"
  4. Measurements taken 6" from each side, 18" from each side, 24" from each side, and 36" from each side.
    1. This was done to get levels on each side of LED units and underneath them, T5 is pretty much solid levels all the way across)
The Setup:

So, PAR/Coverage Comparison 1, full power, all LEDs, I dont think anyone will run them like this, but why not:

My conclusions here:
  1. Man T5 Powermodule is great at even, distributed light with few if any hot spots
  2. Once you get 6" down or more, the Straton is pretty well spread out too and not super peaky
  3. This test showed PAR levels under the LEDs at 300-400 on the bottom. So obviously a bit more juice than most folks would want, but I wanted to show what MAX power looked like.
  4. Again here, LEDs reached max of 46C, and the T5 unit, actively cooled, reached 42C
  5. Power draw on T5 was 550W, Power draw of each Straton was ~215W
  6. So yeah, you can light 30"x30" no problem, and if I mounted them higher, probably more.
  7. On a 4' tank I think that you would still want 2 Stratons
@Reef-Engineer , I would first like to thank you very much for going through the trouble of conducting and posting such a thorough review of the ATI Stratons, and creating what is most likely the most informative thread for this light fixture.

I love what this light does, and to me personally the only reason it is not over my tank (72'' Peninsula rimless) is due to the lack of a elegant mounting system that would secure the lights together and hide the cords inside. I do not want to DYI and also do not want to have a mess of wires and strings hanging to the side of my rimless room divider tank. I believe a lot of manufacturers miss out on just how much more units they would sell if they had a range of decent looking mounting options for their lights in this age of rimless open top tanks such as the Red Seas or WaterBox systems.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back