ATI Sunpower Sizing on 120 gallon tank

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new 120 gallon system with 48" x 24" x 24" dimensions. I plan on making this an SPS dominant tank. I have a few questions:

1. Should I go with 6 or 8 bulbs? I have 2 Kessil 360's I plan on using for supplemental lighting & shimmer.

2. Should I go with a 48" or 36" fixture? I'd like some room to get into the tank and have the Kessils, so I'm leaning towards 36".

3. What bulb combo?

What would you all recommend?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are going to have to hang the fixture anyway.. I'd say go with a nice floating canopy, mount the two Kessils inside the canopy and get some LET Miro-4 t5 retrofit kits... I'd go with 4 t5's total (so two kits)

36" t5's would be sufficient for a 48" tank.

OP
OP
K

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Sounds like the floating canopy idea would have the Kessils as the heavy lifters while the T5's are supplementing. I used the Kessils for a couple of years and felt like they weren't cutting the mustard in the growth department, so that's why I'm going with the Sunpower.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Sounds like the floating canopy idea would have the Kessils as the heavy lifters while the T5's are supplementing. I used the Kessils for a couple of years and felt like they weren't cutting the mustard in the growth department, so that's why I'm going with the Sunpower.

More like 50/50. The two Kessils plus 4 individually reflected t5's should be plenty of light.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back