Ati sunpower sizing

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me rude if you want... and yes, I was being rude and cheeky on purpose. You will get a fraction of the help that you need on this board, and in life, if you want everybody else to do the work for you. Help people help you and you will get farther. Saying that you have a brand model something-or-other is as dumb as posting to ask which bulbs to put into that ATI without telling people what you want to keep under it or the "look" that you like.
While I somewhat agree that yes he could have provided the information, at the same time he's probably new and no point in being rude to someone on the forums and potentially driving away someone from this awesome community just because you want to be cheeky bud. Ya know what I'm saying?

OP
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a new hobbyist. Just new to T5’s and also to this forum. People feeling the need to be rude on purpose to prove a point are the reason I was reluctant to ask questions.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a new hobbyist. Just new to T5’s and also to this forum. People feeling the need to be rude on purpose to prove a point are the reason I was reluctant to ask questions.
Please don't feel reluctant. This community is great, I can't stress that enough

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are xr15, xr30, xr15 pro or xr30 pro. Cross that with all five generations and you have up to 20 lights that you could have. Throw in diffusers and then there are even more combination. I think that people definitely need to explain what Radion that they have.

Let me be even more rude... since I appear to be already... if you cannot pay attention to every detail, no matter how little, then you will not be very successful in this hobby. Think about what you are looking for and give enough background to help the reader help you... but not too much all at once that people tune out.

Lastly, whist I am still being rude... gather your thoughts on what you really want to keep since "keeping SPS" is not good enough for good advice. There are people who keep mixed SPS with lots of montis, birdsnests and plating stuff... and then there are people who only keep acropora.... and then those who want to keep ALL acropora and not just the easy ones - there is a wide range care requirements here. The BEST people who will be able to help you will chime in when they know what you are looking and you will get more specific help than people who respond in generics.

Now... you could see all of this as rude... or the best advice that you have gotten on this thread since you are going to need a lot of help going forward. It is up to you...

OP
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I am looking into T5 lighting is because my acros have grown so well that they are shading themselves and each other. You could have simply looked up what a reefer 250 is or if you didn’t like my question you could have moved on. I didn’t come on here to be lectured by a small man behind a keyboard

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are xr15, xr30, xr15 pro or xr30 pro. Cross that with all five generations and you have up to 20 lights that you could have. Throw in diffusers and then there are even more combination. I think that people definitely need to explain what Radion that they have.

Let me be even more rude... since I appear to be already... if you cannot pay attention to every detail, no matter how little, then you will not be very successful in this hobby. Think about what you are looking for and give enough background to help the reader help you... but not too much all at once that people tune out.

Lastly, whist I am still being rude... gather your thoughts on what you really want to keep since "keeping SPS" is not good enough for good advice. There are people who keep mixed SPS with lots of montis, birdsnests and plating stuff... and then there are people who only keep acropora.... and then those who want to keep ALL acropora and not just the easy ones - there is a wide range care requirements here. The BEST people who will be able to help you will chime in when they know what you are looking and you will get more specific help than people who respond in generics.

Now... you could see all of this as rude... or the best advice that you have gotten on this thread since you are going to need a lot of help going forward. It is up to you...
To be honest man, ALL of that is amazing advice and I 100% support you in the knowledge you just gave. ALL I'm saying is the manner in which you give it. Simple enough. I'm done with this though. OP if you have any other questions, PLEASE keep asking. What keeps this hobby great!

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, jda is one guy that has been doing this a long time and knows his lighting. Not to mention sps, calcium reactors and a list of other things. He is super helpful to this community and tells it like it is. Doesn't Red Sea make a line of tanks? Like isnt there a 170, or 425, or 750, or 350 and XL's and stuff. Theres many veterans here that don't know all the dimensions of these tanks. Not to mention the Water Box lineup now, or the Elos line. Jda was 100% right. Provide some details and don't rely on everyone else having to google a bunch of stuff just to help you out.

OP
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to argue with anybody here. Although I did sate it was a reefer 250. That’s pretty specific if you ask me. If you don’t know what that is then google it. If you don’t want to then move along, no problem. I will definitely be more specific next time. I have no problem with advice on how to ask a more thought out question. Just don’t need to be rude about it.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what you are planning.

A 24" would be fine for a mixed or softy tank and give you areas on either side to keep lower light corals.

If it's going to be end to end SPS get a 36"

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

I am looking to get a Ati sunpower for my 36” tank. Would you recommend the 24” or 36” fixture?
Get the 36" 8 bulb Sunpower.
Next time please post more details to avoid any trouble.
Enjoy your new fixture! You won't regret!!!!!!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what you are planning.

A 24" would be fine for a mixed or softy tank and give you areas on either side to keep lower light corals.

If it's going to be end to end SPS get a 36"
Nope, get always the 36" for a 36" tank. Trust me on that! This is something that has to be taken as a rule. There is no "preferences" or "positive thinking". No matter what type of corals. Sorry.

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the biggest sunpower possible that still looks aesthetically pleasing over your tank.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, get always the 36" for a 36" tank. Trust me on that! This is something that has to be taken as a rule. There is no "preferences" or "positive thinking". No matter what type of corals. Sorry.

I’ve run SunPower fixtures on my last 5 tanks. They are bright, having lower light areas can be helpful if you are keeping things other than sps. This has worked out well for me on some systems. I stand by my statement.

Notice I stated why I think this I didn’t just say your wrong.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Welcome to R2R and please don’t feel this way! Super glad to have you here and all questions are welcome!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me remind everyone in this conversation that being rude is against our TOS. If you want to ask someone to be sure and post tank dimensions, that can and should be done without insulting anyone. Please see our site rules. We actually have a rule that says "Be nice" and another "Be courteous" and we do take them seriously. So please refrain from insulting or belittling anyone.

Now, have a great day! Happy reefing!

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get a fixture that matchs the length of your tank. However i never did understand why they didnt make 72 inch bulbs from ati. 60 is too short on 6 ft long tanks. It still shadows the cormer unless you raise the fixtures super high.. but that reduces par.

My 72 inch 135 i use a 24 and 48 inch fixture for this very reason.

As for bulbs. Or how many.. on my 18 inch wide tank 4 bulbs has been more then emough to grow my 70+ mixed coral tank. Near half of which are sps and acrosporas. I have colony acros growing fine under 4 bulbs.. Its plenty of par. Unless you plan to put the acros way down in the tank. Mine are 10 inchs down from the surface.

However 4 does slightly shadow the back of the tank i noticed.. So from experience if i had to go back id probly have gotten 6 bulbs. Which is why i added two more bulbs to my fixture.

But again 4 grew acros fine. You also dont need an expensive ATI fixture. You know the only thing the ATI has is a splash sheild and a fan because the splaah guard lets bulbs heat up too much. Id never buy one of those fixtures. I use the cheap white grow fixtures you find on amazon. The reflectors are identical.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get a fixture that matchs the length of your tank. However i never did understand why they didnt make 72 inch bulbs from ati. 60 is too short on 6 ft long tanks. It still shadows the cormer unless you raise the fixtures super high.. but that reduces par.

My 72 inch 135 i use a 24 and 48 inch fixture for this very reason.

As for bulbs. Or how many.. on my 18 inch wide tank 4 bulbs has been more then emough to grow my 70+ mixed coral tank. Near half of which are sps and acrosporas. I have colony acros growing fine under 4 bulbs.. Its plenty of par. Unless you plan to put the acros way down in the tank. Mine are 10 inchs down from the surface.

However 4 does slightly shadow the back of the tank i noticed.. So from experience if i had to go back id probly have gotten 6 bulbs. Which is why i added two more bulbs to my fixture.

But again 4 grew acros fine. You also dont need an expensive ATI fixture. You know the only thing the ATI has is a splash sheild and a fan because the splaah guard lets bulbs heat up too much. Id never buy one of those fixtures. I use the cheap white grow fixtures you find on amazon. The reflectors are identical.
LOL, I was about to ask a question about this very thing. I plan on upgrading to a 225 gal 72 in tank and was wondering about the lighting. My biggest question was should I go with a 60 in fixture, or 2 36 in fixtures. The only problem is the added plugs from 2 fixtures.

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I was about to ask a question about this very thing. I plan on upgrading to a 225 gal 72 in tank and was wondering about the lighting. My biggest question was should I go with a 60 in fixture, or 2 36 in fixtures. The only problem is the added plugs from 2 fixtures.

The white fixtures i have can be daisy chained. Why are you concerned about plugs though? They sell like 12+ plug surge protectors lol. I use two on my tank. Onky reason i went 24-48 inch was because i had the 24 already that i used over my 60g hexagon.. So to ssve money getting two 36s i just got a 48 to go with my 24. But yea id get two fixtures for full length.

Only issue is bulb cost goes up having two sets to replace... but brs already proved ati bulbs last 15-16 months before 30% light degradation

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white fixtures i have can be daisy chained. Why are you concerned about plugs though? They sell like 12+ plug surge protectors lol. I use two on my tank. Onky reason i went 24-48 inch was because i had the 24 already that i used over my 60g hexagon.. So to ssve money getting two 36s i just got a 48 to go with my 24. But yea id get two fixtures for full length.

Only issue is bulb cost goes up having two sets to replace... but brs already proved ati bulbs last 15-16 months before 30% light degradation
Apex power modules. Not so much a concern as a matter of space to add modules. Agree with the cost of bulbs, but it is what it is.

Actually going to 2 36 in fixtures gives me the ability to go with dimmable fixture, so it actually works out better. :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back