ATO on 7 gal Tank ?

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still new to all this (Im still cycling sorta speak). Do you put an ATO on you nano reef tanks (10gal and under) ?

I have a Osmolator 3152 nano ATO I was going to return. I bought my wife a 7 gallon reef tank on closeout. (She is been fascinated with nano tanks). We JUST set it up yesterday.

http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/products/lifegard-full-view-aquariums-with-back-filter/
(we didn't use their the light)

I was looking at the tank and how much of a PIA the glass top is to get off. Then I looked at the 3152 and my head started churning. I have no idea how much evaporation it will have with the glass top. Is it worth it to add an ATO ?

Any help is as always appreciated.

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that an ATO is just as, maybe more (although I guess that's relative to the person) important on a nano tank. Small tank, big swings in salinity without it. Stability is key! I say yes, get one! :0)

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always worthwhile to have an ATO. With an ATO you can keep your SG constant and, if needed, you can dose kalkwasser if you want something to help raise your calcium.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos are the tanks that really need an ATO.

SynGraves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that ATO on my 10g tank. Definitely give you peace of mind about salinity swings. My last nano tank didn't have one and I regret not using an ATO. I had a bad habit of forgetting to top off everyday so nothing in my tank thrived besides my two clownfish.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how that glass lid fits. If it fits snug and covers the filter area you might be ok, but then you dont have much in the way of gas exchange.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.5 gallon pico with a DIY ATO and it is the best thing for it so far. The first round with the tank was nightmare. A little evap and the swings just messed everything up. It has a cover for it, but I still lost water to evap.

I use a small usb powered pump that sits in a small tupperware box in my desk drawer, airline tubing with a air flow regulator valve in it to turn the flow down, air check valve to prevent it siphoning water back into the tupperware tub, and 2 small float switches wired into the negative feed of the pump. One float switch is on one side of the tank and the other one is on the other side. I have them wired together, in case one fails in the on position. I did paint them black and they are barely noticeable after that.

Works wonderfully and cost all of 10 bucks to make between Amazon and Walmart. I have actually had to add some kalk to the top off now to compensate for the calcium consumption from my little acro and the coralline.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back