ATO problem with excessive bubbles in AIO sump area

BadgerReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up an Innovative Marine SR60 and have continued problems with non-laminar flow from the heater chamber into the bubble trap between it and the return chamber. It will randomly start gurgling and sucking air down through the bubble chamber which then leads to bubbles in the return chamber - kind of defeats the purpose of a bubble trap. I wouldn't care except it continues to interfere with the optical sensor on my Tunze Osmolator. My aquarium is level and there doesn't appear to be any structural problem difference - it looks the same as the skimmer/bubble trap area.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any thoughts on how to remedy?

This newbie will appreciate any wisdom!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I am a fellow badger fan/cheese head as well ;)
Could you put some sort of sponge in the bubble trap to help eliminate the bubbles? You'll have to occassionally clean it out, but it should help stop the bubbles, or raise the water level so that the water isn't falling as much
chinesefontdesign.com-2017-09-10_06-23-22_597945.gif
#WelcometoR2R

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an IM30L up and running for 2+ years.

I believe your compartments are laid out like mine was, just larger. I never had that issue at all.

Could you post some pics of the rear chambers in order and tell us what is in each of them.

I’m kinda baffled on this one.

OP
OP
BadgerReefer

BadgerReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the messages of welcome! Sorry for the late reply - I was out of town for a couple days. When I got back I more closely examined the two bubble traps. The one leading from the skimmer chamber (which is currently empty while I'm cycling) does not have this problem. Looking at the sealant on the partitions of the skimmer chamber and the bubble trap and the same sealant on the heater chamber and its bubble trap, I could tell there was a difference. A siphon seemed to be occurring on the rear wall where the sealant seemed uneven (some excess) that protruded into the bubble trap. Using a very thin blade I found that if I pressed the excess to the side, the siphon (and the bubbles/gurgles it created disappeared). I was hesitant to do it, but I very carefully trimmed the excess sealant. It's now been running bubble/gurgle-free for 6 hours. If it stays good for another 24 hours, I'll try hooking up my Osmolator again.

Fingers and toes crossed!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back