ATTN all current and future clam keepers!!

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up and offer of advice.
Here is my little electric blue Squamosa, it has gone from 1.5' to three times that size in 4 months :bigsmile:
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad there is a clam expert local (to me) that I can always hit up if I ever have issues. Someday I'd like to house a clam.

Nuno Magalhães

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I had a maxima clam for 2 and a half years, it was groing fine, till it was killed by a crab that came along with a peace of live rock. After that, I managed to catch the crab, and bought to small maximas.
They seemed to adapt very well, but one of them decided to move from its original place, and got their bissus opening exposed. When I arrived home from work, I had two hermit crabs eating the clam, from the bissus opening. It died after that, of course.
Now I'm afraid that my second clam will die from the same issue, especially because it started moving from its original place, also.
What can I do to prevent an accident? I have observed maxima clams in the wild, and they are deeply attached to the rock, with onlye their mantle exposed. They never move from one place to another. Then I thought: Is it possible to glue part of the clam's shell to a piece of rock? What do you eel? Or should I move the hermit crabs? I also have a couple of debelius shrimps and 4 peppermint shrimps, but they dont seem to bother the clam. In fact, the hermit crabs only approached it when it was with the bissus opening exposed.
I have allready bought the glue, but I'm not so sure if it is really a good idea...

Woods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason that clams open wide or not? I've seen pictures of clams wide open but also I've seen in person that open like 1 or 2 inches the most. Is about light? Flow?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I had a maxima clam for 2 and a half years, it was groing fine, till it was killed by a crab that came along with a peace of live rock. After that, I managed to catch the crab, and bought to small maximas.
They seemed to adapt very well, but one of them decided to move from its original place, and got their bissus opening exposed. When I arrived home from work, I had two hermit crabs eating the clam, from the bissus opening. It died after that, of course.
Now I'm afraid that my second clam will die from the same issue, especially because it started moving from its original place, also.
What can I do to prevent an accident? I have observed maxima clams in the wild, and they are deeply attached to the rock, with onlye their mantle exposed. They never move from one place to another. Then I thought: Is it possible to glue part of the clam's shell to a piece of rock? What do you eel? Or should I move the hermit crabs? I also have a couple of debelius shrimps and 4 peppermint shrimps, but they dont seem to bother the clam. In fact, the hermit crabs only approached it when it was with the bissus opening exposed.
I have allready bought the glue, but I'm not so sure if it is really a good idea...

Usually if a crab is eating a clam then the clam was already on it's way out. I don't recommend using glue on clams at all.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason that clams open wide or not? I've seen pictures of clams wide open but also I've seen in person that open like 1 or 2 inches the most. Is about light? Flow?

It can mean a few different things I suppose. It could be reaching for light or it could simply be just happy as a clam.

Nuno Magalhães

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll just hope for the best :)
But the clam that was eaten by the crab was growing well, used to be fully wide open. The only problem that I noticed was that it moved away from its original place and exposed its bissus opening. Of course if it moved away, was because probably something was bothering it, although it was there 2 years without moving. I only noticed the crab when it was too late. Its burrow was just near from the original place of the clam.
I forgot to mention the parameters, calcium, magnesium, salt, pH, nitrates are all ok.

djsmallz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved the way clams looked but never pulled the trigger, but I did go ahead and ordered the book, just in case. Thanks for the info.

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Knop book fo $8 shipped from an Amazon seller. Looking forward to reading this when I'm done with school this summer.

Cheers,
rant

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back