Auto Top Off for AIO Nano

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 30 gallon nano reef and I was curious how many of you used ATO units for small tanks, and if there were any recommended models.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the best investment you can make. A game changer as far as stability in nano tanks. I wouldn’t have one without it IMO.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the best investment you can make. A game changer as far as stability in nano tanks. I wouldn’t have one without it IMO.
My lfs suggested that I get one since evaporation can cause large swings in salinity especially in a nano tank. He said not to go with a float valve system but to look at units that use sensors to detect water level and then turns on a pump to top off the tank. Sounds pretty cool.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a must if you plan to keep sensitive coral or go on vacation.

I like the Tunze ATO 3155, Not cheap but its practically foolproof.

I built a couple DIY ones with a float switch and they got stuck and flooded my tank a couple times so I gave up on them.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the auto aqua smart ato micro for the last year. No issues so far.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I built a couple DIY ones with a float switch and they got stuck and flooded my tank a couple times so I gave up on them.
Thanks. I think it sounds like a must have if I ever want to take a vacation

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 ^^^
I have used the Tunze 3155 for two weeks now. It is excellent because it has a optical sensor and a float switch. The redundant float switch already saved me from one flood when I was setting it up.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ^^^
I have used the Tunze 3155 for two weeks now. It is excellent because it has a optical sensor and a float switch. The redundant float switch already saved me from one flood when I was setting it up.
What is the need for both optical sensor and a float switch?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the need for both optical sensor and a float switch?

Good question. Simple redundancy. The float switch sits higher than the optical sensor.

Here is an example. I set mine up and it worked fine. Then I had to do some work on something, so I cut the main power to the tank. I was new to the unit and did not realize when I powered down, it would not remember the water level (seems obvious, but I did not think of it). When I turned main power back on, the water level was above the optical sensor (until the returns started pumping) and the optical sensor could not “find” the water level. The pump pumped continuously until the float switch triggered and the alarm sounded. It saved my hardwood floors. Dumb mistake. I learned to always cut the ATO first when turning off the returns, then run them first for a minute before powering the ATO back on.

Also, if one has a sump, there is a second magnet included if one wants to use it even higher than using it on the magnet with the optical sensor.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Simple redundancy. The float switch sits higher than the optical sensor.

Here is an example. I set mine up and it worked fine. Then I had to do some work on something, so I cut the main power to the tank. I was new to the unit and did not realize when I powered down, it would not remember the water level (seems obvious, but I did not think of it). When I turned main power back on, the water level was above the optical sensor (until the returns started pumping) and the optical sensor could not “find” the water level. The pump pumped continuously until the float switch triggered and the alarm sounded. It saved my hardwood floors. Dumb mistake. I learned to always cut the ATO first when turning off the returns, then run them first for a minute before powering the ATO back on.

Also, if one has a sump, there is a second magnet included if one wants to use it even higher than using it on the magnet with the optical sensor.
Makes sense, very well explained. Thanks

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above recommendations. I wouldn't run a small tank without an ATO--even though there may be less total volume of evaporation per day compared to a larger tank, the percentage of total volume can be much higher.

As far as a recommendation for an ATO, it depends on which tank you have and how much space you have to play with. I am using a Neptune Systems ATK on mine. I had to remove the float valve for it to fit well, but it still has 2 optical sensors as well as an auto time off feature, so I still have 3 layers of redundancy.

I have also used the smart ATO micro on my 125 and it works well, but 1 less optical sensor than the Neptune ATK.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the 3152. The lack of redundancy gave me anxiety. 3155 performing wonderfully.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the 3152. The lack of redundancy gave me anxiety. 3155 performing wonderfully.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 tanks with the Tunze 3155. I have not had any issues with them. Some are over 4 years running.
Did you choose the 3155 because it provided redundancy with multiple sensors, or for other reasons?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s that word redundancy again. Seems to be a big thing when considering an ATO

LOL. My 45 gallon tank has 2 overflows, 2 return pumps, 2 heaters with a controller, a fused power center into a GFCI outlet and as mentioned, the ATO. Yes on redundancy and not just for the ATO.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. My 45 gallon tank has 2 overflows, 2 return pumps, 2 heaters with a controller, a fused power center into a GFCI outlet and as mentioned, the ATO. Yes on redundancy and not just for the ATO.
Sounds like good advice!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the Innovative Marine Hydrofill ATO on each of my tanks. It works well for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back