OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will accept your help! Thank you very much, Jeff. Look forward to adding the DFS Pink Panther Acro to my collection. :)

I have a small cutting of the dfs pink panther for you whenever we meet up again. I'm sure I will be able to find something to trade it for from your vast collection. Hard part will be deciding which one:mad: If you need extra help with the lights just holler.
Jeff

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the thread!!i always get frags from you at the lear swap.you are the first person i look for on reeftrader
Always a pleaser to meet you and get frags!!
And i am also a fellow ohioan

seldon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim
I wouldnt do any urchins in your new system. I added a long spine urchin and flame angel to my tank around the same time. I started seeing corals being eaten so I automatically thought the flame angel was the culprit so I caught and sold him. Several days later there was more coral damage. Finally Lazylivin suggested it was the urchin and sure enough it was. Was actually climbing my cali tort and eating the tips off of it.
Jeff

I'll second that. I have a black long spine urchin that I have seen eating portions off my Acros and a Setosa.

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Don't know if you are a doctor by chance but you sure do have a lot of patients. lol any pics of your water change station/making... I do weekly water changes too also using reef crystals. Don't mind the brown residue but cleaning does get old. I recently added 2 extra stages to my brs system... micron->carbon block->carbon block->di resin->di resin... Just to get little more life out of the filters. Change them about every 3-4 months depending on my good eye. o_O

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, Zaireguy!

Love the thread!!i always get frags from you at the lear swap.you are the first person i look for on reeftrader
Always a pleaser to meet you and get frags!!
And i am also a fellow ohioan

Just curious if anyone has had better luck with other types of urchins with SPS. I will stay away from the black long spine urchins.
I'll second that. I have a black long spine urchin that I have seen eating portions off my Acros and a Setosa.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, Bugsy! I like Reef Crystals salt mix too. I have been using it for years. Just started going back to the buckets again as well.

Great thread. Don't know if you are a doctor by chance but you sure do have a lot of patients. lol any pics of your water change station/making... I do weekly water changes too also using reef crystals. Don't mind the brown residue but cleaning does get old. I recently added 2 extra stages to my brs system... micron->carbon block->carbon block->di resin->di resin... Just to get little more life out of the filters. Change them about every 3-4 months depending on my good eye. o_O

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another round of new frags arrived recently ... some very nice deepwater gems included. I really like the smooth skin sticks.

RRC Shazam (lost my last Shazam frag)
TGC Fireworks
RRC Lady In Pink
40K Lokani
WWC Blue Monster
Peng's Blue Monster
Rainbow Splash Tenuis
BC Ruby Tipped Granulosa
Turquoise Caroliniana
Raspberry Lemonade

Battlecorals Ruby Tipped Granulosa

Peng's Blue Monster

Reef Raft Canada Shazam

WWC Blue Monster

Reef Raft Canada Lady In Pink

Turquoise Caroliniana

TGC Fireworks

Rainbow Splash Tenuis

40K Lokani

Raspberry Lemonade

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The frag really stood out from the rest upon arrival too. ;)

I have had my eyes on Pengs Blue Monster for awhile. They say the blue it shows is unmatched in any other coral. Can’t wait to see what you think of it and get that thing growing..

Corey
Pengs blue monster is one of my favorites Tim ur gonna love it

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim - I have 8-10 aquacultured tuxedo urchins in my tank and they are probably the single best clean up crew I have ever added . I have had them for over 1.5 years since they were less than 0.25 inch sized .
They have never bothered corals although they do tend to carry any loose frags .

Honestly, I cant think of a tank without them. But only blue tuxedo urchins only !!! Not long spine , pencil , pincushion or any other kind .

Regards,
Abhishek

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue tuxedo that developed a taste for chalices. My take: they are all well-behaved until your tank matures and they start to starve from lack of algae. Get small ones, keep them for the first 6-8 months while things ramp up, then ditch all but maybe one.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, Abhishek and Tony for your insight and tips on blue tuxedo urchins!

Tim - I have 8-10 aquacultured tuxedo urchins in my tank and they are probably the single best clean up crew I have ever added . I have had them for over 1.5 years since they were less than 0.25 inch sized .
They have never bothered corals although they do tend to carry any loose frags .

Honestly, I cant think of a tank without them. But only blue tuxedo urchins only !!! Not long spine , pencil , pincushion or any other kind .

Regards,
Abhishek

I had a blue tuxedo that developed a taste for chalices. My take: they are all well-behaved until your tank matures and they start to starve from lack of algae. Get small ones, keep them for the first 6-8 months while things ramp up, then ditch all but maybe one.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My new chamfer tool arrived today. The first tool I purchased only worked on PVC pipe up to 1.25". My new chamfer tool (Reed DEB1-2IPS) bevels larger PVC pipe up to 2.” I will need both tools finish my plumbing project.

P.S. hurry up

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back