AWC question

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what seems like it should be a stupid question as I can't find any info on it but here it goes. I want to use dosing pumps for an AWC on my smaller tank that has algae issues. I figure this will allow me to increase the amount of water changes outside of when I am able to do them on my days off. I understand you have to time them, so they pull and add at the same rate and that dosing pumps do not back siphon. This particular tank does not have an ATO on it (if someone can recommend one that works well on aqueon tanks without being several inches low I will Take that too). The plan was to use two 5 gallon jugs one for waste and one to fill. The big question is how do you keep the fill jug from becoming saltier through the week as it evaporates the little bit each day? Should I drill a hole in the lid to feed the Doser and hope it doesn't evaporate much through the week? Thanks!

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the tunez nano for ATO and for AWC I’m using the versa pump they seem to be working well for this I change about 1% a day and they run for 3hr. To complete it I calibrate them every 3-4 months

OP
OP
Icedphoenix

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the tunez nano for ATO and for AWC I’m using the versa pump they seem to be working well for this I change about 1% a day and they run for 3hr. To complete it I calibrate them every 3-4 months
Thank you for the recommendation. I am asking do I need another ATO or something for the mixed water that will be going into the tank for the AWC set up? It has some evaporation as well as the tank itself.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ato will maintain current salinity based on evaporation. Then you can simply mix your new saltwater to the desired level of the tank (35ppt 1.026). This way your awc is removing the exact salinity as what's being added. The ato takes care of the rest.

I also use 2 versas to perform my awc. They're great little pumps that don't back siphon.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Way l do the AWC any ATO will work because i add water at the same rate as I am taking it out so the water level doesn’t change when the water change is taking place it’s a simple setup really

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icedphoenix

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ato will maintain current salinity based on evaporation. Then you can simply mix your new saltwater to the desired level of the tank (35ppt 1.026). This way your awc is removing the exact salinity as what's being added. The ato takes care of the rest.

I also use 2 versas to perform my awc. They're great little pumps that don't back siphon.
The water doesn't evaporate enough in your AWC reservoir to affect the salinity in it? That's mainly what my concern is. Afraid over time the salinity will creep up as you mix the clean water to 35ppt on Saturday but by Thursday it is 36ppt from the clean water being added. Over time that would raise the tank water itself as the clean water slowly moves it up. The ATO keeps the tank the same salinity but not the water change water.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep a lid on your new saltwater container and just drill a hole for the tubing then the amount of evaporation will be minimal and it isn’t a concern. It’s no different than those of us with saltwater mixing stations, just a smaller scale.

OP
OP
Icedphoenix

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep a lid on your new saltwater container and just drill a hole for the tubing then the amount of evaporation will be minimal and it isn’t a concern. It’s no different than those of us with saltwater mixing stations, just a smaller scale.
Thank you! Without lights, pumps, etc I wasn't sure how much you get out of it. It will be inside so no big heat either. I dont have a full blown station yet so that's good to know when I get ready to that as well.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Without lights, pumps, etc I wasn't sure how much you get out of it. It will be inside so no big heat either. I dont have a full blown station yet so that's good to know when I get ready to that as well.
With a lid any water that evaporates wouldn’t have anywhere to go so it would essentially condense on the lid and drip back in, but even that would be minimal.

OP
OP
Icedphoenix

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check my build… I use the AutoAqua Smart AWC duo.., It’s an ATO & AWC combined. So far it’s great.
I did not even know they made these! This is perfect as you can use a smart plug to use a different pump. I would need a pump that sits outside the tank as there is no sump or back wall like yours. Question though does it fill and pull at the same time or pull until the sensor says stop then fill back to the top sensor?

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not even know they made these! This is perfect as you can use a smart plug to use a different pump. I would need a pump that sits outside the tank as there is no sump or back wall like yours. Question though does it fill and pull at the same time or pull until the sensor says stop then fill back to the top sensor?
It’s an awesome little piece of equipment… Yes, it turns off ATO, drains til the lower sensor then refills to the upper sensor.

Has worked perfectly… I have mine set to pull out roughly 1/3 gallon per day on my lagoon.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to avoid complicating the process. 2 peristaltic pumps that are calibrated running at the same time is as simple as it gets for awc.

Don't get too caught up with evaporation within your new saltwater container. If you run a skimmer, that would have a bigger effect on salinity than evaporation in a 5g bucket.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 10g plastic bin for fresh saltwter for 1% daily awc. Small hole minimizes evaporation. Check tank salinity every couple of weeks.
Depending on the size of your awc's, any evaporation effect should be minimal.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an awesome little piece of equipment… Yes, it turns off ATO, drains til the lower sensor then refills to the upper sensor.

Has worked perfectly… I have mine set to pull out roughly 1/3 gallon per day on my lagoon.
I am using Autoaqua Smart AWC Duo as well for my daily water change. Really love the ATO+AWC 2 in 1. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back