AWC with DOS , Tunze Osmolator

Mandrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got the apex dos , I want it to do auto water changes but i don’t want my tunze osmolator to add water during awc. I am thinking of top off only at night and water change only during day .
Can I do this ?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got the apex dos , I want it to do auto water changes but i don’t want my tunze osmolator to add water during awc. I am thinking of top off only at night and water change only during day .
Can I do this ?
Cannot you connect the tunze to an apex outlet and turn it off when dos turn on for the AWC event?
I would try to prevent tunze from dosing during the AWC event otherwise on the long run you will have drift in salinity.
Yes small, but to me it will not set and forget and you will start quesntiong the system every time you see salinity change, which if you are using salinity prob, it can be common..

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure you really need to worry much about it. If you calibrate the DOS both heads run at the same time and pump the waste out while pumping the new in so the AWC shouldn’t really impact tank volume. And depending on how much you are changing and the timeframe you pick the DOS runs in short intervals over the selected period. For example I have my DOS do 2 gallons from midnight to 6 am (because the DOS is loud when running for AWC). Both heads will run for a couple minutes every 15-20 minutes.

I have the DOS pull water out of the section of my sump before my return section and return water to my return section. That’s also where my top off goes in. If if my ATO kicks on while the DOS is running it shouldn’t really impact the salinity with as short as the ATO kicks on for. And when you turn on the osmolater it pumps water in even if it doesn’t need to so I prefer not to turn it on/off every day.

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the you don’t need to do anything. I’ve had my dos running for several weeks, never switched off my ato during the awc and have never had an issue. I run a Tunze as well

jspuck25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently running the same pieces of equipment. I also have the dos do my water changes at night. My ozmolator stays on at all times. (Except feed). Once the ozmolator is powered on it automatically adds water weather it needs it or not. Turning on and off may lead to the high level alarm and super annoying beep.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back