Back After ~15 Years

nor_cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first setup a reef tank around 2003 when LEDs were pretty much non-existent and everything was expensive. I had a homemade MH light over a custom made acrylic cube, ~20g, that I bought second hand online. Drove 90 miles to a tank teardown and was lucky enough to get some established LR. Flash forward to 2019 and things are still expensive, but you can do a lot more on the cheap, and things are a lot easier to buy/find.

I got back into reefing around 3 years ago from a craigslist purchase of a setup 29g biocube for $200. Already had LED converted hood, a nice, probably overkill, AquaMaxx HOB-1 and other equipment making it the perfect re-entry. Had a ton of LR, a few good frags and a clown. Clown is still doing well, coral are all happy, and I only just now started to add more coral and a RBTA to the tank. The clown is not hosting as it just isn't used to it, but the nem settled in nicely to the middle and top of the LR, away from all my coral.

Took my GF about 2 years to get hooked and now she is all in and talking about getting another tank.

Cheers

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! When you get the chance, start up a thread under "member tanks". We would love to follow your tank progression. (And see photos.)
Light bulb Welcome.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

TreasureChest.gif

This community truly is a found treasure!
_

OP
OP
nor_cal

nor_cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also didn't test parameters for the entire last 3 years, and pretty much relied on somewhat regular water changes. The bio load was low, with plenty of LR filtration and the skimmer, so the tank ran fine for the most part. Now that I have added more coral and a couple more fish I am making an effort to test regularly and get into the habit. I also started to dose Polyplab One and use Reef Roids and LRS Reef Frenzy and everything looks better than ever.

As I inherited the tank there are some things I dislike, such as the clove polyps, kenya tree and xenia that was in the tank when I got it. I keep the kenya tree and xenia cut back, but haven't done much about the clove polyps. Any suggestions?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back