Back in the hobby!

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef members. Getting back into the hobby after almost 30 years. Had a 55 gallon in my teens with a skilter filter (look it up for a laugh) , a custom wet dry and a whisper 3 carbon... all HOB! Life was good except for my hermit crab which I didn't feed enough and would climb coral and pounce onto fish passing by... no joke. Enter my 40's and I finished my basement (mostly for the purpose of having an aquarium) and I am setting up an SC Aquariums 150 Eurobraced with Synergy reef 16" external overflow. Custom made stand, custom sump from a 75 gallon tank and today was my first flow test.

It was a disaster.

My hose creeped out of the Brute 44 gallon and released water on the floor ( thank goodness for vinyl plank flooring ) and my tank and sump would rival a white water rapids course.

Calling up my buddy to super sleuth what I need to do to fix this. I have a fluval sp6 which is likely part of the problem and 1.5" drains which might be the other. My primary has a gate valve but when I dial back the flow to quiet things down my secondary drain sucks just a bit off air and actually has more flow than the primary. Wondering if a gate valve on the secondary would help or if I should try and reduce the secondary to 1" at some point or even put more water in the tank? I'm about 2/3 of the way above the weirs when running.

With the sp6 I divert some of the flow and feed into an aquac ev 180 which recirculates back into the first chamber of the sump. Second chamber was going to be a deep sand bed but the flow is crazy right now it would be all churned up.

Gotta love first timers winging it right?

A few pics attached...

At any rate is all fun until you can't sleep at night thinking about what to do next. I'm leaning toward reducing my secondary drain to 1" and getting a controllable dc pump with a flex pvc section to quiet things down. Fingers crossed! You're advice is sorely needed just no guarantees I'll take it HA! Gotta learn the hard way unfortunately...

NabberNate

20210331_103241.jpg 20210331_103100.jpg 20210331_103048.jpg 20210331_103035.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.... :)
nice tank,1st thing comes to mind, controllable pump;)

OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hobby isn't complete unless the solution to your problem involves newer better gear right? Any recommendations for controllable pump to replace the fluval sp6? Ideally would have 1.25" threaded fitting so I don't have to add a reducer...I did put in a union before my returns branch out so plumbing revision should be minimal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! I can't believe they still sell that. I had the 250 it hasn't changed. Brady you made my night.

I will say this though the middle drain in the Synergy takes way more flow then either of the ends and in retrospect that one probably should get the gate valve even if it's harder to reach. Or I should have reduced to 1.25" or something... next tank...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back