saltwaterfishwife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have had something die under the rockwork but came home to cloudy water. Fish are gasping so I assume I have high ammonia but don't have a test for it anymore and all the stores are closed. I read a few articles that recommended only treating the ammonia spike and making sure the water stays oxygenated until the bacteria is starved out... My question is, can I do more harm by using too much erase-cl to try to neutralize the spike without knowing exactly how much ammonia is in the tank?

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the meet and greet forum. Welcome!

I would repost here to get the answers you need. Good luck :)
Ghttps://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have had something die under the rockwork but came home to cloudy water. Fish are gasping so I assume I have high ammonia but don't have a test for it anymore and all the stores are closed. I read a few articles that recommended only treating the ammonia spike and making sure the water stays oxygenated until the bacteria is starved out... My question is, can I do more harm by using too much erase-cl to try to neutralize the spike without knowing exactly how much ammonia is in the tank?

Welcome! Glad you joined. Agree other area of Forum better suited, but it might help temporarily if you do water change and get an air stone into tank... even taking existing water in a picture and pouring from a height back into tank may help get more oxygen into water if really in a pinch. Good luck to you and your tank!!!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Salty Crew

if you have some airstones may want to put them in to help oxygenate the water as well.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef
If after a water change the bloom persists get a UV sterilizer, that will kill your bloom.
I had a nasty bloom that persisted for weeks after adding an inexpensive UV made for ponds my bloom was gone within 2 days.
Good luck.

Photo_1655160053290.jpg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your first post had to be a problem but welcome to R2R! Follow what @Fish Think Pink said and if it persists, follow @G Santana's advice. Oh and get a set of ammonia, and nitrate tests that are current and have them on hand. When you need the ammonia test you usually need it NOW.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, and how is it today? Agree with all of the above water change their stone water change and at least get one of the ammonia badges and keep it in your drawer if you’re not using it.

Best of luck.

31E78736-14EC-4EDB-BB70-E64CA106E63C.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back