Bacterial Driven System: A Recipe for Success.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are these same standards not used in reverse?

Where are the actual symptoms of a tank experiencing these issues?

What is the actual timeline a tank can expect before it has these issues?

Why is the element of elevated temperatures ignored? Which is what triggers the bleaching events in the oceans, and the studies I've seen mentioned are largely based around that.

None of that is ever answered. It's always "can" and "may" with a timeline that is never defined.

All of this in the face of people posting demonstrable success and results, which are dismissed as anecdotal.

I have no idea what you are talking about, and your criticism of my post is totally nonsensical.

The paragraph I posted applies to all methodologies that anyone uses, including me. I use carbon dosing, and think it is a good idea for many reef tanks.

Ignore element of temperature? Again, no idea what you are talking about. I have posted specific recommendations related to temperature, and specifically say that I do not know what exact temp is is best, so obviously I do not ignore it and treat it the same way as anything here: based on science of various sorts.

Here's from one of my articles posted here at Reef2Reef:

Temperature

Temperature impacts reef aquarium inhabitants in a variety of ways. First and foremost, the animals' metabolic rates rise as temperature rises. They may consequently use or produce more oxygen, carbon dioxide, nutrients, calcium, and alkalinity at higher temperatures. This higher metabolic rate can also increase both their growth rate and waste production at higher temperatures.

Another important impact of temperature is on the chemical aspects of the aquarium. The solubility of dissolved gases such as oxygen and carbon dioxide, for example, change with temperature. Oxygen, in particular, can be a concern because it is less soluble at higher temperature.

So what does this imply for aquarists?

In most instances, trying to match the natural environment in a reef aquarium is a worthy goal. Temperature may, however, be a parameter that requires accounting for the practical considerations of a small closed system that might suffer a power failure and trap the organisms in a small amount of poorly aerated water, something that rarely happens on a natural reef. Looking to the ocean as a guide for setting temperatures in reef aquaria may also present complications because corals grow well in such a wide range of temperatures. The greatest variety of corals, however, are found in water whose average temperature is about 83-86° F.
During normal functioning of a reef aquarium, the oxygen level and the metabolic rate of the aquarium inhabitants are not often important issues, and many reef tanks do well with temperatures in the low to mid 80's. During a crisis such as a power failure, however, the dissolved oxygen can be rapidly used up. Lower temperatures not only allow a higher oxygen level before an emergency, but will also slow the consumption of that oxygen by slowing the metabolism of the aquarium's inhabitants. The production of ammonia as organisms begin to die may also be slower at lower temperatures. For reasons such as this, one may choose to strike a practical balance between temperatures that are too high (even if corals normally thrive in the ocean at those temperatures), and those that are too low.

These natural guidelines leave a fairly wide range of acceptable temperatures. I keep my aquarium at about 80-81° F year-round. I am actually more inclined to keep the aquarium cooler in the summer, when a power failure would most likely warm the aquarium, and higher in winter, when a power failure would most likely cool it. All things considered, I recommend temperatures in the range of 76-83° F unless there is a very clear reason to keep it outside that range.

One additional comment on temperatures: having a small temperature swing is not necessarily undesirable. While temperature stability may sound like a desirable attribute, and in some cases it may be, studies have shown that organisms that are acclimated to daily temperature swings become more able to deal with unexpected temperature excursions. So while a tank creature that normally experiences only 80° F may be very healthy, the same organism adapted to a range from 78° F to 82° F may be better able to deal with an aquarium that accidentally rises to 86° F

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a saying in our hobby that “every aquarium is different”. I prefer the view that “every aqaurist is different”, the successful and the not so sucessful. And boy do we hear from the successful, though the evangelism is sometimes too much.

There seems to be many ways to be sucessful in this hobby, maybe as many ways as there are successful reefers. We might need artificial intelligence, a machine learning app, to help us understand why success happens :)

The sentient AI at google likely already knows, but it won't tell us. lol

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have not noticed any fluctuations, but then again I do not test for nutrients unless something is off. The only parameters I keep track of are ALK, Ph, SG and temperature. If these are all in line I leave everything else alone. The worst thing you can do i chase numbers.

Are you dosing the NP-Bacto balance? I also feed my fish directly after dosing.
AquaForest Elimini NP

if you don’t test nutrients I assume it’s because you have a routine that provides a steady balance of nutrients in/up and carbon dosing down - otherwise I would ask how you would know you aren’t bottoming out your nutrients.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well these results are anecdotal, right?

There is a thing known as implicit knowledge that is rarely communicated and possibly not fully understood by any owner of such knowledge. The explanation for success is a post hoc, after the fact, rationalization, not an in depth analysis nor is it information based on controlled experimentation.

We all know carbon dosing results in nitrogen and phosphorous reduction. What we don’t know are all the other things SunnyX does to be successful, right? I imagine SunnyX has an eye for detail, has developed a “sixth sense” for healthy looking coral and and knows a boat load about what makes coral happy. The carbon dosing just hapoens to be SunnyX’s way to control N and P and SunnyX believes that the methodolgy is key to success. Cool, but I think SunnyX is key to SunnyX’s success.

How is this not just what you believe? You believe he has a "sixth sense". You believe there are other reasons for his success beyond what he says.

If 10 other people try it, fail at it then maybe your belief has merit. However, when it comes to these DOC claims...there's just no real evidence it's an issue in reef tanks. In one of the studies I seen posted, they would purposely overdose carbon, just to get the bad results, and from this it's "You need to worry about these in your tank". When yeah, if you overdose carbon bad things happen, we know that.

So where is the evidence he is wrong?

I mean if this hobby was reliant on scientific data and process for progress, we'd probably not even have corals in our tanks. This idea that scientific process is the only way things can progress is totally bogus and in the end it's most of the time just a cop out and a way to ignore valid data from individuals.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, but it is fun to think about how we might get everyone to contribute that boat load of data so that out pops an answer, hopefully not “42” though :)

That's the funny thing here. It's going to output what you input. It depends on the type of learning, but with say supervised learning, you have to provide the answer to your question as part of the data. So simple example is something that identifies cats in a picture. In order for it to learn how to identify the cats in the picture, you have to feed it the data with if it's a cat in the picture or not. And over time and many pictures, it will "edit" itself based on the answer so that the network will return that response when the image is seen.

Intutition is something deepmind was working on a few years ago. I'm not sure if they still are. But they attempted that by using an environment with limited data(fog of war in a game) with reinforcement learning. Still in the end, the correct answer(reward) is provided by the system, rather than the ai. It learns by trial and error, so in this case, would need to keep many reef tanks over a long period of time(or simulate it accurately). This is also very expensive, it cost deepmind over $7 million just to train their network for 2 weeks(200 years of real time learning).

So it would try something, notice the results, and go from there. Using the best results to shape future attempts.

And trial and error is IMO the thing that has progressed this hobby the most. But we are the ones doing it. Ancedotal evidence is what we see from peoples trial and error. If someone wants to come along and make a scientific argument with data, that's great. But the dismissal of all other things because it's not science I think is just plain wrong.

So in the end, we are doing what the AI would do.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op made a really good write up on its methods and ideology that gave him a long success in reef keeping, I’m not really sure why is a discussion going on to prove him right or wrong instead of trying to learn from him.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the writeup Sunny. Been reading and following your principles since 2008. With success every time.

We can leave the Redfield ratio out of this because it has ZERO use for our tanks. It doesn't even hold true in nature. I have always found a ratio (if we are going to use one) of 100:1 to be a sweet spot. 10ppm nitrates to .1ppm PO4. But the turth is anything between 5-20ppm nitrates and .03-.1 PO4 seems to be just fine for 99% of us. My last tank ran at 40+ nitrates for close to 2 years. I never saw any nuisance algae or detrimental effects on my corals or fish. Phosphate was routinely .01 to .06 on that tank. I was way off any "ratio" we are told is paramount to success.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always found a ratio (if we are going to use one) of 100:1 to be a sweet spot. 10ppm nitrates to .1ppm PO4. But the turth is anything between 5-20ppm nitrates and .03-.1 PO4 seems to be just fine for 99% of us.
I kinda wish the 100:1ratio was the thing that was constantly passed along, rather than Redfield, which is pretty tricky to understand for new hobbyists, and not necessarily offering a good model for any hobbyist.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX thanks for another great write up. While discussing specific products are not critical to the success of this process, can I ask what bacteria source is your preference? I don't think I saw this come up in the thread yet.

I've always liked the idea of carbon dosing, and have done it off and on over the years. The thing that has kept me away from it over the last year or so was the negatives of nutrient reduction in my system that I have to work at to keep nutrients present. So I have to give props to Tropic Marin for having such a thoughtful way of approaching this, and offering carbon sources that will fit any reefer's starting nutrient point, and preferred target.

This Reefdudes interview with Lou Ekus focuses on this topic of feeding corals through carbon dosing, as well as how to carbon dose with any nutrient level target

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SunnyX thanks for another great write up. While discussing specific products are not critical to the success of this process, can I ask what bacteria source is your preference? I don't think I saw this come up in the thread yet.

I've always liked the idea of carbon dosing, and have done it off and on over the years. The thing that has kept me away from it over the last year or so was the negatives of nutrient reduction in my system that I have to work at to keep nutrients present. So I have to give props to Tropic Marin for having such a thoughtful way of approaching this, and offering carbon sources that will fit any reefer's starting nutrient point, and preferred target.

This Reefdudes interview with Lou Ekus focuses on this topic of feeding corals through carbon dosing, as well as how to carbon dose with any nutrient level target

He uses MB7 from Brightwell daily.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to reef, here are a few of the many tanks I have had. In 2006, I was introduced to Zeovit by Don Miller, a previos Zeovit TOTQ, from moons ago, who was a personal mentor. From that point, I also discovered many great ones on the sps forum of RC, Sonny, Roberto, but particularly fell in love with Krzystof Tryc's style of reef kepping, many many others, but all these guys were running bac driven systems. Thanks Sonny for bringing attention to this topic, it's a proven method if used properly, these days, I tend to keep the 16+ years of knowledge regarding this very subject to myself, to avoid the flames, lol. I have been fortunate to work closely with Sever of Aquaforest and Przemek of Pac Sun and really pick their brains regarding husbandry and lighting. Glad to have you back, your tanks have inspired more than you know :)

2006-2007 Full Zeovit 70 gallon cube

20191215_120214.jpg

2015-2017 120 Gallon Full Aquaforest Probiotic Method:

IMG_7818-1.jpg

Current Tank, 90 Gallon Aquaforest/Zeovit Hybrid:

20220602_163202.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this not just what you believe? You believe he has a "sixth sense". You believe there are other reasons for his success beyond what he says.

If 10 other people try it, fail at it then maybe your belief has merit. However, when it comes to these DOC claims...there's just no real evidence it's an issue in reef tanks. In one of the studies I seen posted, they would purposely overdose carbon, just to get the bad results, and from this it's "You need to worry about these in your tank". When yeah, if you overdose carbon bad things happen, we know that.

So where is the evidence he is wrong?

I mean if this hobby was reliant on scientific data and process for progress, we'd probably not even have corals in our tanks. This idea that scientific process is the only way things can progress is totally bogus and in the end it's most of the time just a cop out and a way to ignore valid data from individuals.
Yep, I see your point. Here is a little more background on my anecdotal data comment.

Carbon dosing to reduce nitrate concentration works, but it would be naive to think that SuunyX’s success with coral is due solely to or even to a major extent to carbon dosing. It is a favorite tool in SunnyX’s tool box.

What we are not privy to are all the other things SunnyX does to be successful. There very likely things SunnyX senses and important actions SunnyX takes that even even SunnyX may not realize. That’s expert implicit knowledge that likely makes SunnX or any expert successful, not the favorite tool.

Carbon dosing is part of a long line of best practices and it may turn out to be like all other best practices, another tool in the toolbox select for personal reasons. As a general recipe for success, that’s a stretch.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op made a really good write up on its methods and ideology that gave him a long success in reef keeping, I’m not really sure why is a discussion going on to prove him right or wrong instead of trying to learn from him.

Oh, it’s ok. I am happy to get a conversation going.

There is no magic bullet. Carbon dosing alone will not make for a successful reef but I believe that it can be cornerstone of your success. And yes, in many ways it is the reefer and not always the method's but I assure you that I do not have a 6th sense or any special abilities. I am just like everyone here. If I can be successful then so can you. As in life, you need to keep working at it , day in and day out. You don’t have to be the smartest but you must give it 100% of your efforts. There are plenty of people here who know more about the science than even the best of reefers, but few if any have aquariums worthy of emulation.

This is why I post these articles. I am constantly asked what it is I am doing to have such beautiful aquariums. So, I am sharing my methods. These methods didn’t just come out of thin air, they came from years of trial and error, from taking bits and pieces of other successful reefer methods and making them my own. This is what I am hoping will happen. I am hoping that reefers looking for a better way can take a fraction of my methods and make them their own, make them better and push this hobby forward!

At the end of the day, I’m not selling anything nor am I sponsored to do so. I am simply here to help those who need it. I read plenty of things on the forums, quite a bit that I don’t agree with, but in reading I do find many useful tools and method’s. Even today, I am still learning and honing this craft, hoping one day to gain mastery.

All are welcome to join me on this journey.

-Sonny

CactusReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I had a super small baby Maxima clam, my LFS at the time asked me what I fed it up till the point I had to rehome.

My reply " biopellet poop "

Great article ty !!!!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no magic bullet. Carbon dosing alone will not make for a successful reef but I believe that it can be cornerstone of your success. And yes, in many ways it is the reefer and not always the method's but I assure you that I do not have a 6th sense or any special abilities. I am just like everyone here. If I can be successful then so can you. As in life, you need to keep working at it , day in and day out. You don’t have to be the smartest but you must give it 100% of your efforts. There are plenty of people here who know more about the science than even the best of reefers, but few if any have aquariums worthy of emulation.

This is why I post these articles. I am constantly asked what it is I am doing to have such beautiful aquariums. So, I am sharing my methods. These methods didn’t just come out of thin air, they came from years of trial and error, from taking bits and pieces of other successful reefer methods and making them my own. This is what I am hoping will happen. I am hoping that reefers looking for a better way can take a fraction of my methods and make them their own, make them better and push this hobby forward!

At the end of the day, I’m not selling anything nor am I sponsored to do so. I am simply here to help those who need it. I read plenty of things on the forums, quite a bit that I don’t agree with, but in reading I do find many useful tools and method’s. Even today, I am still learning and honing this craft, hoping one day to gain mastery.

-Sonny
The problem I see here is not your article, is what I wrote in the last few threads on nutrients that support your method.
Let me expand on my rationale, we are both talking about the same thing in different ways and your article illustrates that we are both correct on rationale.
the way I see your method work is how I would expect a balanced system that is mainly filtered by heterotrophic organisms to behave, you mentioned dose at lights up besides the reasons you have posted I see a additional advantage, one being that some heterotrophic organisms will need photosynthesis to assimilate the nutrients added, macro algaes would be a good example for this.
You also mentioned toss the phosphates absorbing medias, in my writings I mentioned how we can achieve that by manipulating nutrient import in a system that is designed to be filtered by heterotrophic organisms. Same goes to your method of feeding the tank you have a really good import export method that is aided by a properly sized protein skimmer, the protein skimmer is removing bacteria and other organic matter that would end up as detritus and eventually transformed in pollutants that would need the aid of medias to be removed from the water column like GAC.
I see your method in a different way And find it brilliant its very complex to many in the hobby to fully understand how everything is working in a scientific way although it doesn’t make it hard to mimic, I believe that sometimes we don’t need to fully understand how everything is working as long as the basics rules are followed anyone should be able to do what you do, a few things I’d like to point out is that the same products should be used, I’ve seen someone ask if the same could be achieved with nopox and phosphorus, in theory it could although the ingredient are fairly different they would be missing a source of nitrogen, phosphorus and trace elements and for the untrained eye would be difficult to balance imo.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Sonny
Thanks Sonny. You are among the few who understand that by debating and challenging we become engaged and learn.

It would be informative to follow you around for a week and observe all the things you do while maintaining your system.

Dan

graziano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Articolo originale: http://reefsite.com/bacterial-driven-system-a-recipe-for-success/

Non è un segreto che io sia un grande fan del dosaggio del carbonio. Credo che abbia giocato un ruolo importante nel mio successo nel corso degli anni. Nessun altro metodo che ho impiegato ha prodotto i risultati mostrati tramite il dosaggio del carbonio e l'aggiunta di batteri al sistema. L'unico di esportazione di nutrienti e proprietà nutritive del corallo è molto difficile da battere. Sì, ci sono altri sistemi che ma, nella mia esperienza, troppo lavoro per risultati meno che desiderabili. Cioè, se confronto con le mie esperienze con il dosaggio del carbonio. Ho eseguito la gamma di controllo dei nutrienti dal chimico (GFO) al naturale (Refugium) e mentre tutti hanno abbassato i miei nutrienti, nessuno ha nutrito i miei coralli. Sì, il sistema rispetto a un dosaggio di carbonio era altrettanto pulito,

Dipingo un quadro roseo qui, ma non è tutto sole e arcobaleni. Il dosaggio del carbonio richiede una buona comprensione del tuo sistema e dovrebbe essere lasciato un reefer intermediari ed esperti. Questo metodo può ridurre rapidamente i nutrienti, scioccando i coralli in un rapido evento di necrosi dei tessuti. Non ho mai avuto un problema del genere, ma è importante sottolinearlo. Come nuovo metodo o cambiamento, è necessario avviare un graduale, osservare e aumentare il dosaggio. Mentre scaviamo nel sistema, illustrerò alcuni dei vantaggi e dei problemi con il dosaggio di carbonio e batterie. Condividerò la mia opinione in merito e perché credo che anche dopo tutti a questi anni da quando ho iniziato anche a utilizzare questi anni ea consigliarlo, dosaggio del carbonio sia ancora il mio metodo preferito di reefing.

Pretto quanto segue affermando che non sono uno scienziato. Tutto quello che scrivo è basato sull'esperienza personale. Ho installato e mantenuto una serie di acquari di barriera premiati e di successo, ma non sono affatto un esperto in materia. Se la scienza ti sembra divertente o hai un metodo migliore, per favore, intervieni o contattami direttamente. Sto semplicemente tramandando i miei metodi poiché credo che la replica sia spesso la migliore linea d'azione quando si tenta di costruire successo. Prendi le migliori pratiche di coloro che vorresti emulare e farle tue, aggiungendo e sottraendo lungo il percorso. Ci sono stati molti articoli scritti sull'argomento, alcuni con molti più dettagli e scienza. Questa è semplicemente la mia opinione e la mia filosofia in merito. In questo hobby e come nella vita,

Nozioni di base e vantaggi

Quindi, hai letto fino a qui, quindi è lecito ritenere che io abbia raggiunto il picco del tuo interesse. Senza dubbio sono state probabilmente le immagini dei miei acquari a guidarti in questa impresa. Fondamentalmente, credo che il dosaggio del carbonio mi abbia immensamente consentito e abbia consentito molto successo con l'SPS che ha inaugurato una crescita e una colorazione senza precedenti. Questo non è un sistema nuovo però. Sfrutto il dosaggio di batterie e carbonio da oltre 17 anni ormai e credo che KZ Zeovit lo faccia da ancora più tempo. A condizione che tu sia attento e ti impegni completamente per il successo degli acquari, il dosaggio del carbonio sarà uno dei più grandi strumenti del tuo arsenale.

Credo che il dosaggio del carbonio sia frainteso. Troppi presumono che sia semplicemente un metodo per ridurre i nutrienti. se questo sistema di dosaggio ridurrà i nutrienti, il suo principale vantaggio è la componente nutrizionale e ciò che può fare per i tuoi coralli. Molti sono spesso scioccati quando mi viene detto che generalmente inserisco solo fiocchi e pellet nel mio sistema. Non aggiungere nessuna delle miriadi di opzioni di cibo per i coralli. Sento che nutrire questi alimenti è una perdita di tempo e denaro quando hai già tutto ciò di cui hai bisogno presente nel sistema. Devi semplicemente inserire quel componente e sfruttarlo per il massimo successo. Il componente di cui parlo sono i batteri.

Come funziona il ciclo

il carbonio viene dosato>i batteri si moltiplicano>i nutrienti vengono consumati>i coralli si nutrono di batterie>i batterie rimanenti vengono esportati tramite uno schiumatoio di proteine.

Nutrizione dentro, nutrienti fuori. Questo è ciò che stiamo cercando di realizzare qui. I coralli possono ricavare il 100% del loro fabbisogno nutrizionale attraverso l'assorbimento di nitrati e fosfati, di cui la maggior parte dei sistemi ha molto da fare. La chiave qui è portarlo in una forma che i coralli possono assorbire. Con il dosaggio del carbonio e batterie aumentando il numero di batterie nel sistema, che a sua volta si nutrirà dei nutrienti ai coralli di consumare i batteri. L'ultimo passaggio del processo è che lo skimmer esporti i batterie rimanenti. Questo ultimo passaggio è fondamentale. Non consiglierei il dosaggio del carbonio senza uno skimmer. Moltiplicare i batterie ridurrà i livelli di ossigeno in un acquario e uno skimmer è un buon modo per compensare questa riduzione. In secondo luogo,

Il dosaggio stesso è abbastanza semplice. Segui semplicemente le istruzioni sui flaconi e la dose di conseguenza. Doso batterie e carbone alle prime luci, non appena le luci si sono accese. Questo assicura che sto colpendo il processo fotontetico con un passo deciso, riducendo la probabilità che incontrerò un problema a causa di una limitazione dell'ossigeno. Voglio anche avere il minor impatto possibile sul Ph. Durante il giorno, gli organismi nell'acquario assorbono C02 aumentando allo stesso tempo il PH. Il dosaggio a fine giornata non è semplicemente raccomandato a causa della ridotta quantità di ossigeno nell'acquario disponibile in quel momento. Non spendo il mio skimmer né regolo nessuno dei miei sistemi di filtrazione durante il dosaggio. Generalmente doserò tutti i miei integratori durante lo stesso periodo di tempo senza problemi.

Non si può sopravvalutare che è necessario iniziare con questo sistema. Consiglierei di dosare il 25% dei dosaggi raccomandati come indicato sul flacone/i, aumentando del 5% ogni giorno fino a raggiungere il 100% dei dosaggi raccomandati. All'inizio, non vedrà un grande cambiamento e questo potrebbe essere scoraggiante, ma dagli tempo. Abbastanza presto, inizierai a vedere uno skimmato aumentato e/o più scuro, una maggiore estensione del polipo sui coralli, un aumento dei giorni necessari prima di pulire i vetri di osservazione dell'acquario e possibilmente dover cambiare le calze filtranti (se utilizzate su base più frequentata. Intorno alle settimane non dovrebbe essere quantificabile nei e nella crescita e nell'aspetto dei coralli.

Durante questa fase iniziale, ea distanza di un mese, occorre prestare attenzione all'osservazione dei coralli e dell'intero sistema. Eventuali cambiamenti nella colorazione del corallo dovrebbero essere annotati e dovrebbero essere apportati aggiustamenti in base alle tue osservazioni e ai test nitrati/fosfati. Se i coralli non si sono schiariti nell'aspetto ei nutrienti sono ancora a un livello superiore al previsto, sarà necessario continuare ad aumentare la dose fino al raggiungimento dei parametri desiderati.

Il sovradosaggio è comune e bisogna prestare attenzione qui.

Alcuni segnali rivelatori che stai dosando troppo carbonio:

• Coralli (SPS) esibendo una colorazione estremamente chiara e pastello.
  • La melma rossa fa la sua comparsa e cresce*. (VEDI NOTA SOTTO)
  • I livelli di nutrienti stanno completamente toccando lo zero.
  • Rallentamento completo o arresto improvviso della crescita sui coralli, in particolare SPS, evidente con la mancanza di punte di crescita bianche.
Anche se vogliamo che i nutrienti siano bassi, non li vogliamo mai così bassi da non essere rilevabili. I nutrienti sono una componente importante in qualsiasi di barriera corallina e deve essere mantenuto un equilibrio. In caso contrario, ti imbatterai in problemi come coralli affamati e alghe e melme opportuniste che prendono piede. Per quanto riguarda la melma rossa, nei sistemi dosati di carbonio con quando c'è uno squilibrio nel rapporto tra nitrato e fosfato.

I coralli non possono utilizzare nitrati senza fosfati presenti . Questo fatto, tra l'altro, mi ha fatto passare dalla vodka a un approccio più equilibrato, che aiutare a mantenere l'equilibrio. Per aiutare a raggiungere questo equilibrio, doso Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance come fonte di carbonio. Questa fonte di carbonio aiuta i batteri a riprodursi assicurando che il corretto rapporto di nutrienti venga aggiunto all'acquario. NP-Bacto è una miscela di carbonio, nitrati e fosfati. Se stai iniziando con livelli superiori a quelli desiderabili, inizierei con Elimi-Bacto e volta che i livelli di nutrienti hanno raggiunto il livello desiderato, passerò a NP-Bacto per mantenere l'equilibrio.

Questo è il metodo semplice che ho trovato per mantenere la corretta razione di nitrati e fosfati poiché puoi e rapidamente un sistema dei suddetti nutrienti, che possono e porteranno a risultati indesiderati. Vodka, zucchero e persino aceto funzioneranno come fonte di carbonio, ma alla fine tutti mi hanno dato i cianobatteri ad un certo punto. Tuttavia, con Bacto-Balance, in due anni di utilizzo non ho ancora riscontrato un problema importante con i cianobatteri o la germinazione di altre alghe indesiderabili. Il secondo vantaggio dell'utilizzo di Bacto-balance rispetto a una miscela fai-da-te è che sono stato in grado di mantenere un equilibrio di nutrienti nel sistema senza incontrare problemi come l'illuminazione dei coralli o una crescita ridotta a causa della mancanza di nutrienti.

Buttare via il cibo di corallo?

Tra tutti i vantaggi del dosaggio del carbonio, l'alimentazione dei coralli è la mia caratteristica preferita. Nessun altro sistema che ho usato ha fornito questa quantità di crescita e ad una base così conveniente. Basti pensare a quanti soldi vengono spesi per alimenti destinati a nutrire i coralli. Molti dei quali non sono mai stati nemmeno progettati per essere consumati dai coralli. Qui hai i batteri, qualcosa che è economico e facile da riprodurre, che sarà prontamente mangiato dai coralli ed è in sintonia con la loro evoluzione e biologia. Aggiungi la componente di riduzione dei nutrienti del dosaggio e hai un pugno due che non ha eguali nell'hobby. Se hai dei pesci nell'acquario e li stai già alimentando con una dieta equilibrata, non hai bisogno di cibo specifico per i coralli. La cosa grandiosa del dosaggio del carbonio è che ti devi di nutrire molto più cibo per i pesci senza soffrire sulla stabilità del sistema. Il cibo aggiuntivo a sua volta alimenterà una crescita più rapida nel corallo e probabilmente nel pesce.

Lo so, potrebbe essere contrario a tutto ciò che viene detto ai reefers in questi giorni, ma sono la prova che non hai bisogno di un flusso costante di cibo per coralli per far crescere i coralli e avere successo nell'hobby. Risparmia i soldi che sono qualità e risultati al cibo per corallo e investiti in un sistema ATO, un reattore Kalk, uno schiumatoio migliore o un cibo per pesci di superiore. Ma ehi, se sei soddisfatto dei cibi di corallo, continua a usarli in quanto questo sistema qui servirà solo a complimentarmi poiché ora sarai in grado di nutrire ancora più cibo. I commenti sul cibo per coralli qui non sono scritture e sono semplicemente la mia opinione ed esperienza con loro.

Considerazioni

Soprattutto, assicurati di avere uno skimmer di dimensioni adeguate. Senza uno, non avrai successo con questo metodo o, peggio ancora, devi mandare in crash il tuo sistema. Per quanto riguarda i media e altre filtrazioni, userei solo carbone. Tieni il GFO e qualsiasi altro mezzo legante il fosfato fuori dal tuo sistema in quanto porterà solo all'instabilità poiché compete con i batteri per i nutrienti.

L'ho già menzionato per ma devo ribadirlo per enfasi: DEVI ALIMENTARE CORRETTAMENTE IL TUO SISTEMA! Non posso dirti quanto cibo dare ai tuoi pesci, deve venire dalle tue osservazioni e dal miglior tuo giudizio. Se i tuoi coralli sono di colore troppo chiaro e/o privilegio di estensione del polipo; alimentare il sistema.

Per chi è questo sistema?

A seconda di come viene dosato e della quantità di carbonio e cibo immessi nel sistema, questo metodo può essere applicabile a tutte le configurazioni. I sistemi LPS, Softy e SPS trarranno vantaggio dal dosaggio del carbonio. L'avvertenza qui è che dosaresti meno di quanto raccomandato su LPS e configurazioni softy generalmente tendono a godere di un poiché po' più di nutrienti nell'acqua. SPS d'altra parte prospererà con questo sistema ai dosaggi consigliati.

C'è una linea sottile di equilibrio che deve essere seguita. Superare quella linea di avere troppi o troppo pochi nutrienti creerebbe problemi nel tuo sistema. Se dovessi scegliere un lato della scala su cui cadere, i nutrienti più alti. Mentre i nutrienti più elevati possono causare alghe fastidiose e, se sufficientemente elevati, ****** la crescita dei coralli, un livello di troppo basso può assolutamente essere mandato in crash un sistema. È necessario prestare attenzione per nutrire correttamente il e il sistema. Spesso le persone che falliscono con questo metodo lo fanno perché non hanno alimentato correttamente il sistema e hanno toccato il fondo di fosfati e nitrati.

Nel complesso, non vedo molto danno nel provare questo metodo fintanto che sei coscienzioso e inizi lentamente. Tieni d'occhio i tuoi nutrienti, i coralli e regolati da lì. Per coloro che hanno lottato a lungo con i nutrienti e la mancanza di crescita dei coralli, questo potrebbe essere il pezzo mancante del puzzle.

Ciao io uso da anni il sistema Zeovit e sarei intenzionato a provare Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance, domanda, la Zeolite la devo togliere o la lascio? Che batteri usi? ZeoBack va bene lo stesso? Dose unica ad inizio illuminazione?

Translation:

Hi I have been using the Zeovit system for years and I would like to try Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance, question, should I remove the Zeolite or leave it? What bacteria do you use? Is ZeoBack okay anyway? Single dose at the start of lighting?

Last edited by a moderator:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back