Bacterial Driven System: A Recipe for Success.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciao io uso da anni il sistema Zeovit e sarei intenzionato a provare Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance, domanda, la Zeolite la devo togliere o la lascio? Che batteri usi? ZeoBack va bene lo stesso? Dose unica ad inizio illuminazione?

Translation:

Hi I have been using the Zeovit system for years and I would like to try Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance, question, should I remove the Zeolite or leave it? What bacteria do you use? Is ZeoBack okay anyway? Single dose at the start of lighting?

Hello,
No need to change anything other than the carbon source. A few weeks back I setup a Zeovit reactor to try it out and am running the zeolites. So far, I am very impressed
with the zeolites.

You can still use the Zeobak, as I dont believe that one bacteria is all that much better than the other. I assume that you are currently using Zeostart for the carbon source now, and f so you will need to discontinue its use.

Why are you looking to make a change on the carbon source? What is it that you are trying to correct or achieve?

Concerning bio pellets, I tried using them years back in a reactor and just wasn’t able to dial them in correctly. It was too much work for something that o could dose by hand.

-Sonny

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree in general. Sounds very similar to the Red Sea trace methodology, which uses their NOPOX. I do think it’s interesting to have carbon dosed with nitrates and phosphates in one supplement. I honestly didn’t know that was a thing but good to know.
I’ll give it a try.

some information I think would be helpful in the original post if agreed.
What filtration/methods should not be used with this, GFO is mentioned but any other.
What items are discouraged? refugium, UV, etc.
also would be good to know testing regime. Water changes
I noted you mentioned filter sock replacement will increase?

i have a refugium and wonder if the low nutrients would kill damage it. Should I turn it into another frag tank.

Last edited:

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given the debate of adequacy of methods presented. be good to have a poll for carbon dosing users. If one doesn’t currently exist somewhere already.

No carbon dosing
Carbon dosing
Carbon dosing with nitrate and phosphate dosing
Biopellets
Other

Last edited:

graziano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciao,
Non c'è bisogno di cambiare nient'altro che la fonte di carbonio. Qualche settimana fa ho installato un reattore Zeovit per provarlo e sto facendo funzionare le zeoliti. Finora, sono molto impressionato
con le zeoliti.

Puoi ancora usare lo Zeobak, perché non credo che un batterio sia molto meglio dell'altro. Presumo che tu stia attualmente utilizzando Zeostart per la fonte di carbonio ora, quindi dovrai interromperne l'uso.

Perché stai cercando di apportare una modifica alla fonte di carbonio? Che cosa stai cercando di correggere o ottenere?

Per quanto riguarda i biopellet, ho provato a usarli anni fa in un reattore e non sono stato in grado di inserirli correttamente. Era troppo lavoro per qualcosa che si poteva dosare a mano.

-Sonny

Ciao, ho usato Zeostart e poi acido acetico glaciale con PO4 a 0,25ppm e NO3 a 25mg , dosato Lantanio Elimi-phos e portato PO4 a0,03ppm ma NO3 sempre 25mg allora ho dosato vodka 2ml al giorno e NO3 ora a 10mg e coralli SPS tornati a spolipare e crescere. Vorrei provare il tuo sistema in vasca, 380litri misure 100x70x55cm illuminazione T5 8x39 Giesemann Reattore di calcio e skimmer JNS-ConeS con pompa Sicce Shark3000, è possibile con solo Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance ?

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the write up, written in a way that even I can understand :), I'm ready to give this a go.

I see you recommended np-bacto-balance for carbon dosing, do you have a recommendation for a bacteria I can purchase online to start with? (the zeovit reactor I saw someone mention earlier is a bit out of my budget right now)

@SunnyX

CactusReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the write up, written in a way that even I can understand :), I'm ready to give this a go.

I see you recommended np-bacto-balance for carbon dosing, do you have a recommendation for a bacteria I can purchase online to start with? (the zeovit reactor I saw someone mention earlier is a bit out of my budget right now)

@SunnyX
Microbactor7 would be my go to for new tank/pellet set ups..

MicrobeLift is another great product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree in general. Sounds very similar to the Red Sea trace methodology, which uses their NOPOX. I do think it’s interesting to have carbon dosed with nitrates and phosphates in one supplement. I honestly didn’t know that was a thing but good to know.
I’ll give it a try.

some information I think would be helpful in the original post if agreed.
What filtration/methods should not be used with this, GFO is mentioned but any other.
What items are discouraged? refugium, UV, etc.
also would be good to know testing regime. Water changes
I noted you mentioned filter sock replacement will increase?

i have a refugium and wonder if the low nutrients would kill damage it. Should I turn it into another frag tank.

Hello,

I will update the article to include information concerning what not to use with carbon dosing.

For instance, the refugium you mentioned would quickly die out in a carbon dosed system due to a lack of nutrients. Besides, you don’t want anything else competing with the bacteria for nutrients.

We’re looking for two things here, one to maintain low nutrients, and two, feed our corals.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@SunnyX

Microbacter7 By Brightwell aquatics. Bulkreefsuppy is generally cheaper than Amazon.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciao, ho usato Zeostart e poi acido acetico glaciale con PO4 a 0,25ppm e NO3 a 25mg , dosato Lantanio Elimi-phos e portato PO4 a0,03ppm ma NO3 sempre 25mg allora ho dosato vodka 2ml al giorno e NO3 ora a 10mg e coralli SPS tornati a spolipare e crescere. Vorrei provare il tuo sistema in vasca, 380litri misure 100x70x55cm illuminazione T5 8x39 Giesemann Reattore di calcio e skimmer JNS-ConeS con pompa Sicce Shark3000, è possibile con solo Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance ?

Yes, you will be Ok to start using NP Bacto balance. Be sure to not use any other carbon source at the same time. Good luck.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dosed 6ml (25% the recommended dose) of Bacto balance to my 250g tank 2 nights ago. Yesterday, tank went cloudy and ORP shot to the 480s. The ORP could be a total coincidence but I've tracked my ORP for quite a while now and it rarely gets above 380.

The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom for sure and made my skimmate stink so bad it made the whole basement wreak.

In other news, I had a few corals with crazy polyp extension (likely feeding on the bacteria in the water column.)

graziano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sì, potrai iniziare a utilizzare il bilanciamento NP Bacto. Assicurati di non utilizzare altre fonti di carbonio contemporaneamente. Buona fortuna.
Ciao, consiglio per dosaggio? :faccia pensante:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dosed 6ml (25% the recommended dose) of Bacto balance to my 250g tank 2 nights ago. Yesterday, tank went cloudy and ORP shot to the 480s. The ORP could be a total coincidence but I've tracked my ORP for quite a while now and it rarely gets above 380.

The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom for sure and made my skimmate stink so bad it made the whole basement wreak.

In other news, I had a few corals with crazy polyp extension (likely feeding on the bacteria in the water column.)

So I need to revisit this because I'm pretty sure I read the directions wrong and overdosed. Hence, the bacteria bloom.

My nutrients should already be super low in this tank. My last ICP showed like 2ppm nitrates and .03ppm phosphate. I am quite positive they are higher than this now since my fish are pigs and get fed a ton but likely not much higher.

(In all transparency, I hate testing my aquarium. Finding (and being motivated) the 30+ minutes doesn't happen often.

Anyway, I dosed 6ml when it should have been about 2ml instead. I lost a 0 somewhere in the whole liters to gallons conversion lol. On a side note, if you're going to sell things to the American market, you should really list things in the units used in America.

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer that unless you have serious algae issues carbon dosing should be a last resort. There's too many bacterial forces at work in our tanks that even the experts don't fully understand and it's marketed as something everyone should do.

I've personally known more people that have either killed livestock or sent their tank into a downward spiral with multiple sources of carbon than people who swear it saved their tank.

The moment I stopped chasing nitrates and phosphates years ago was the moment reefing became so much easier and my tank went from a tank full of rock and coral frags to a tank full of coral. I've had nitrates anywhere from 5-100ppm at one point to phosphates 0.02-1ppm and never noticed any difference in livestock behavior or coloration with regards to coral. Alkalinity and the relation to your nutrients is where the difference in coloration and growth comes into play.

Attachments

• inbound5179909349192251578.png
    inbound5179909349192251578.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 139

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer that unless you have serious algae issues carbon dosing should be a last resort. There's too many bacterial forces at work in our tanks that even the experts don't fully understand and it's marketed as something everyone should do.

I've personally known more people that have either killed livestock or sent their tank into a downward spiral with multiple sources of carbon than people who swear it saved their tank.

The moment I stopped chasing nitrates and phosphates years ago was the moment reefing became so much easier and my tank went from a tank full of rock and coral frags to a tank full of coral. I've had nitrates anywhere from 5-100ppm at one point to phosphates 0.02-1ppm and never noticed any difference in livestock behavior or coloration with regards to coral. Alkalinity and the relation to your nutrients is where the difference in coloration and growth comes into play.
Perhaps that works in your tank - but in mine if my phosphates get above .1 my corals become visibly cranky. It also depends on the type of coral you’re growing. Some are much more tolerant than others.

Overall from what I’ve experienced and read - consistency and stability is the key - which is not any easy thing to achieve because we’re human caretakers after all and unless we have a consistent method then we won’t be successful

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered bacteria and np bacto balance.

I'm dosing phyto daily, and have been for 4 months to help my pod population for my mandarin. Do you think I should keep this up? or is it better to quit or potentially unnecessary when using this method

Thanks

@SunnyX

WRLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that carbon dosing to works great with nitrate reduction, but does not really reduce phosphate levels. I have to use both GFO and a refugium to keep this in check.

I've used bacto balance before and I was personally disappointed with it as it did not work as effectively for me as Red Sea Nopox. It seemed to be sugar based rather than the ethanol based nopox.

I've stopped my carbon dosing due to imbalances in my system and gone back to basics with just regular water changes, no carbon dosing or trace elements.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back