Banggai Cardinal Breeding Question

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 5 days ago my male BC released the fry (15 in total) and has only had a few days to fatten back up. This morning I noticed that he now has another mouth full of eggs. My question is that I am contemplating stripping the eggs out and using an egg tumbler so that he has a chance to get his weight back. After not eating for 21 or so days and only having 5 days to eat I am concerned that he will be negatively effected.

Any thoughts or experiences that you as BC breeders might be able to share? Thank you.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I watched a couple of YouTubes on egg stripping and I caught the male in the net and only one egg released. I tried it a second time when I saw the egg mass hanging outside his mouth but he brought it back into his mouth. I don't want to risk him being harmed so I think for now will let it go. I will just separate the female from the male when he releases this batch. Still happy to get a reply from someone with experience on how to do this appropriately without harm to the male.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the male will not hold the eggs to term if he didn't have enough time to fatten up. I don't think he will just starve trying to hold the eggs.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know, this pair is really bonded and healthy so don't want anything to effect that. Thank you Instigate for the reply.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back