Basement Sump plumbing help

lumpadelic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to blow my stimulus money on a super fancy sump / frag tank / refugium from Advanced Acrylics that will be in the basement below my 90 gallon display. Tank has been up and running for over a year and is doing great. So once I get this sump system plumbed, how do I switch over to the new sump without affecting the tank? Is there some sort of compression fitting so i don't have to wait 24 hours for glue to dry? Can i just shut off return and let my MP40s handle the flow for 24 hours? I do have an embarrassingly old HOB protein skimmer that could be used for nutrient export. Should i change the size of my drain / returns? Both are 1 1/4" presently. Any advice would be appreciated!

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just rely on the MP 40’s and maybe put that HOB on mainly for o2. Let the glue set for a few hours and you should be fine.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of ways to approach this sump swap. I would agree with other responses and just let the glue cure normally over 24hours. Run MP40s and ensure your tank temp remains stable. Not sure what is in your current sump but if you have a refugium or biological media in the current sump I would make sure that it has water circulation and temp control if you plan to reuse it in the new sump. If your drain/return size can accommodate the return pump flow for your new setup and does not have any issues with leaks I would just reuse that plumbing. I would not bother with a skimmer and just cut back on feeding for the day the sump is offline. When you are ready to start the new sump I would vent out the lines with some compressed air or a fan to blow any remaining fumes from the PVC glue out.

OP
OP
lumpadelic

lumpadelic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of ways to approach this sump swap. I would agree with other responses and just let the glue cure normally over 24hours. Run MP40s and ensure your tank temp remains stable. Not sure what is in your current sump but if you have a refugium or biological media in the current sump I would make sure that it has water circulation and temp control if you plan to reuse it in the new sump. If your drain/return size can accommodate the return pump flow for your new setup and does not have any issues with leaks I would just reuse that plumbing. I would not bother with a skimmer and just cut back on feeding for the day the sump is offline. When you are ready to start the new sump I would vent out the lines with some compressed air or a fan to blow any remaining fumes from the PVC glue out.
Love the idea of venting the fumes out with compressed air. I would have never thought of that!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back