Basic Nikon D3200 Pictures

USCGReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am taking a basic photography class and would like to take some of my reef. I have a basic Nikon D3200 with the 18-55mm but also a 35mm lense. We aren't supposed to edit pictures for this class. Just taking raw images implementing different techniques. Any suggestions on settings to use with a D3200 to get good coral color without the blue washout, as well as settings for catching fish? If its too tough to pull off without editing then I'll stick with other subjects, just thought I'd see if anyone had suggestions.
Thanks.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your taking a class and you came here for answers? Isn’t that like cheating?

Best thing for you to do is read all the sticky posts in the above section. Your answers are there.

OP
OP
USCGReefer

USCGReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your taking a class and you came here for answers? Isn’t that like cheating?

Best thing for you to do is read all the sticky posts in the above section. Your answers are there.
The class isn't on taking reef aquarium photography, its a basics of photography. I can choose whatever subjects I want but haven't been able to get good reef pictures without edit with a DSLR. So was just looking for setting recommendations for my specific camera, but thanks for the input. I'll dive through some of the previous posts.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The class isn't on taking reef aquarium photography, its a basics of photography. I can choose whatever subjects I want but haven't been able to get good reef pictures without edit with a DSLR. So was just looking for setting recommendations for my specific camera, but thanks for the input. I'll dive through some of the previous posts.
No matter what you shoot will likly need some form of editing. learning how to use your camera in anything but A or P mode is always a great way to go. Hopefully they are teaching you all the settings to include white balance. But also don’t forget your light settings are as important as camera settings. So setting your lights to take good images will help allot.

Sounds like your instructor is an old school photog. Editing is an essential part of photography. I learned darkroom techniques back in the early 80s.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the instructor pushing for good pictures out of the camera as that would make one a better photographer and minimize editing in your photoshoots later on. My instructor had me start with a full manual zenith 125 TTL to properly learn parameters and zoom... but this was 20 years ago...
Indeed white balance will be your main painpoint. What lights do you have, try to play with custom white balance in camera if allowed by your instructor and play with light adding some white will u can get rid if the blue color cast yet still have some blue pop....
Do share your shots here as well.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back